AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Internet problems in the US today? 9th Jan 2009

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Internet problems in the US today? 9th Jan 2009
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-08, 23:28

My connection to my server keeps going up and down.

The server is fine, and when it is down so is the web site of our hosting company, so it's obviously their location or their area of the web that is having problems...

Any of you with your finger on the pulse aware of a problem getting to internet stuff based around St. Louis, MO?
I am guessing that is where the servers are, but I can't find that information definitely as any IP / URL checks time out..

EDIT: I just found this, which is quite handy..

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm

Thought I'd pass it on for anyone else in the future.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-08, 23:37

Not seeing anything unusual from the Internet Health Report, for what it's worth.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-01-08, 23:44

Thanks for that..

It's up and down every 15 minutes or so for about a minute, and I am still trying to pin down their actual location.. my US geography is terrible and I am getting mixed results for Washington and St. Louis, which I don't think are anywhere near each other!!!

But it appears they are having a local problem.

It's nice to see it's being worked on so quickly.
Not a single down minute with these people for three months, so I have faith...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-01-10, 01:05

Just to put closure on this thread, and also to praise Server4You once again.
That's the .com US company, not the European one that seems to have hijacked the name, and the site design. i.e. The .com rather than the .de

The total downtime I had yesterday was about four or five batches of 4 or 5 minutes over a couple of hours..

Quote:
We would like to inform you that on January 8 2009 between 09.00 PM and 11.40 PM (CST) we experienced heavy DOS attacks from various unknown sources to our datacenter in St. Louis.
Due to the fact the sources were in such large number, we could not block all of them and restore connectivity to the data center so soon.
Nevertheless our technical support staff and network administration team have been working extensively with our network provider (Level3), to bring your server online as soon as possible.

Our customer care staff has been keeping all customers updated through our live chat and phone lines, however we do believe that good business relationships are maintained with communication to all parties and updating you with the latest information is one of our priorities.

Full connectivity has been restored at around 11:50PM (CST), however if any of your servers is still experiencing packet loss, please don't hesitate to contact our tech support department through a ticket via your admin panel.

Thank you for your patience and understanding of this situation.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-01-10, 03:41

I haven't been able to get to Palm's website since the Pre was announced, but I'm guessing that's just traffic.

But still. It hung multiple browsers on two computers...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong