User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wild Pigs
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-12-13, 22:59

An interesting magazine article I read this past week points out that pigs are the domesticated animal that can most easily and quickly adapt to a return to the wild. Many have escaped over the years and have interbred. They are now expanding their range quickly throughout the United States, especially the southern United States, but heading quite far north not too. Pigs are not native to North America, but that has not held them back at all.

All of this surprised me. While every type of domesticated animal has a wild genetic heritage, I would not have picked the pig for an easy transformation back to the wild. Also, I had not previously heard of pigs roaming around in the wild in the U.S.

Who here on AN has seen one or at least is aware of them in their area? Apparently, they are omnivorous, prolific, and destructive.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-13, 23:09

I have never seen a... wild pig... and am glad for it if they are true omnivores. I wouldn't want some porky-turned-vogon charging me on the new county-run nature trail!

...into the light of a dark black night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-12-13, 23:13

I think all of our wild coyotes are keeping the piggy population down.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 00:43

Javelinas are wild pigs out west - flourishing, alive and well. Not sure if they are omnivores though.

http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Javelina%201.htm
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-12-14, 01:04

I have a friend who swears that boar meat is way better than the fat porky that rolls in mud all day....

I guess if there's more of wild pigs, we could just as well declare a open season.

Pork, the other white meat.™
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-14, 03:53

I can see pigs adapting to the wild; they will eat ANYTHING and they are tough sons o bitches. I think you'd need a decent size pack of coyotes to take down a really wild pig. And there would be significant casualties on the coyot' side.

I'll go check Google video.

Plenty of wild pigs in Switzerland; in fact, tis the season where it (and its wild friends) is on all of the restaurant menus. Pork, wild or domesticated, must be eaten with reverence.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-14, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
....eaten with reverence.
...and with crackling.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-12-14, 07:13

Well, pigs are intelligent animals... perhaps that intelligence defines a profound difference between pigs and other animals that we consider to be domesticated. Returning to the wild for pigs might be not entirely unlike humans who escape from captivity; all too ready to adapt to an environment when it means their freedom.

I live in the southeast US but as I'm in a large metropolitan area the only pigs I've seen are the guys on either side of me at a strip club....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter