AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Pro Apps Shipping?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Pro Apps Shipping?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-11, 00:13

I'm about ready to buy FCE, but I noticed that it's not shipping for 4-6 business days. Pretty much the rest of Apple's software is shipping within 24 hours - except Final Cut Studio, which will ship in 10-15 business days. I'm guessing that means we'll see the Universal versions before the end of February, right?

In any case, I'm buying FCE. I don't care if I don't get the Universal version, because I need it ASAP - even waiting 4-6 business days is too much. (I would go to my local Apple Store to buy it, but then I wouldn't get the education discount.)

I'm pretty sure I'll get the new FCE, though. Not that I need Universal binaries.

Well, there you go. Final Cut Studio Universal in 10-15 business days...now, were we expecting it to be a major upgrade or not?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
DevNull42

2006-02-11, 01:12

You should still be able to get the edu. discount in-store, AFAIK. Just show your student I.D. when you make the purchase. I did that when I bought my iPod nano, and it worked just fine.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevNull42
You should still be able to get the edu. discount in-store, AFAIK. Just show your student I.D. when you make the purchase. I did that when I bought my iPod nano, and it worked just fine.
That's hardware. Software cannot be purchased from a brick-and-mortar or the online Apple Store with an education discount.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
That's hardware. Software cannot be purchased from a brick-and-mortar or the online Apple Store with an education discount.
No, you can get the edu discount from the online store. You just need to make sure to go to the Education Store section first. However you're right on the brick-and-mortar stores - it seems like a really random restriction.
DevNull42

2006-02-11, 04:36

Quote:
That's hardware. Software cannot be purchased from a brick-and-mortar... with an education discount.
Huh... thanks! I didn't know that.

Anyway, regarding the point of this thread (being in Speculation and Rumors) it does looks kind of odd having the shipping times for the Pro apps go up like that. Could certainly mean something.
j. smith

2006-02-11, 15:05

Studio is shipping in 24 hours. it's Logic that has a delay.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
No, you can get the edu discount from the online store. You just need to make sure to go to the Education Store section first. However you're right on the brick-and-mortar stores - it seems like a really random restriction.
Thanks for the clarification. I made the assumption the online and offline Apple Stores worked the same way.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-11, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. smith
Studio is shipping in 24 hours. it's Logic that has a delay.
I just double-checked the education store, and Final Cut Studio is shipping in 10-15 business days and Final Cut Express is shipping in 4-6 business days. Logic is shipping in 24 hours.

But, in the normal (non-education) store, Final Cut Studio is shipping within 24 hours. Final Cut Express has the same 4-6 day delay. Logic Pro 7 ships the same day, but any upgrade versions take 4-6 days to ship. So we're both right.

The plot thickens...I'm not exactly sure why the education store would take so much longer to ship a piece of software if the software wasn't about to be upgrades.

So, don't buy Apple's film software now. Like I am.

(If I buy FCE now, I'll probably get the new version, right? Like, that's why there's a delay on shipping?)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
v.noir

2006-02-12, 09:37

I bought Office in an Apple store with my edu discount fine
GWARREN

2006-02-12, 10:00

I think Office works in a different way- it is actually a student edition you get, which can be bought at that price in any store
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-02-12, 10:13

Education Version of FCS is different than the Full Version of FCS. There is a price difference between the two versions and the Education Version restricts you from using it to sell your work legally. The cheapest alternative is to Buy Soundtrack Pro (either from a third party online store or retailer) for $299. Then buy the FCS upgrade from Soundtrack Pro for $199. This way you'll only pay out around $500 for FCS instead of $1299. All Full Versions... all legal.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-12, 19:40

Well, I'm buying FCE, for $150. It's not any different from the retail version of FCE - it's not an "Academic Edition," it's just FCE with a discount.

Buying FCE now...finally. Funny how internet shopping can order anything for you instantaneously, but it takes me two days to get my dad to verify his credit card number.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-12, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimation
Education Version of FCS is different than the Full Version of FCS. There is a price difference between the two versions and the Education Version restricts you from using it to sell your work legally. The cheapest alternative is to Buy Soundtrack Pro (either from a third party online store or retailer) for $299. Then buy the FCS upgrade from Soundtrack Pro for $199. This way you'll only pay out around $500 for FCS instead of $1299. All Full Versions... all legal.
and who's going to know?
womblingfree

2006-02-12, 20:37

Quote:
No, no, no I've bought iLife, FCE and .Mac at Apple stores and always gotten a student discount.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-12, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
and who's going to know?
What kind of amoral attitude is that?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-12, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree
No, no, no I've bought iLife, FCE and .Mac at Apple stores and always gotten a student discount.
Well, you're lucky. My Apple Store, like all the others mentioned in this thread, does not give student discounts on software - the one exception being, of course, Microsoft Office, but that's because the Student and Teacher edition is an entirely different product (which you don't actually need to be a student to buy... ).

MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-02-12, 22:38

Quote:
and who's going to know?
Hey.... if you want to take your chances go right on ahead... I prefer to keep myself legit. Besides... the solution I offered to get the Full version of FCS for $500 would cost the same as the Educational version of FCS.

Roboman,

I know you are only interested in buying FCE for $150.... but if you break down the alternative I've given for buying FCS... you'd have 4 pro apps for $125 each!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-02-12, 23:21

Quote:
Hey.... if you want to take your chances go right on ahead... I prefer to keep myself legit. Besides... the solution I offered to get the Full version of FCS for $500 would cost the same as the Educational version of FCS.
take your chances on what? They are exactly the same except for a text file which has a different term and agreement. It's not like it watermarks your movie or anything

I'm sure there are tons of moviemakers out there using bootleg copies nevermind academic versions
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-02-12, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree
I don't believe you.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-02-13, 09:18

Quote:
take your chances on what? They are exactly the same except for a text file which has a different term and agreement. It's not like it watermarks your movie or anything

I'm sure there are tons of moviemakers out there using bootleg copies nevermind academic versions

Well.... I guess if you're a 17yr old kid that is not using this software on a professional level making any kind of real money from it... then sure... what chances are YOU taking.
beardedmacuser

2006-02-13, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Well, you're lucky. My Apple Store, like all the others mentioned in this thread, does not give student discounts on software - the one exception being, of course, Microsoft Office, but that's because the Student and Teacher edition is an entirely different product (which you don't actually need to be a student to buy... ).
Same here. I couldn't get an education discount for software in the local Apple Store, but I could for hardware. And the education price for hardware in the physical Apple Store was different from the education price on the online Apple Store.
beardedmacuser

2006-02-13, 10:09

Quote:
Well.... I guess if you're a 17yr old kid that is not using this software on a professional level making any kind of real money from it... then sure... what chances are YOU taking.
Straying off-topic, but why not... I could have downloaded all the software I use on my Mac at home, but did I? Nope. If I want the software enough and it's price is realistic then I always buy it. Downloading and using an illegitimate copy of software just feels wrong. I work from home fairly regularly so my Mac is a work tool for my profession. Hell... I'm one of the rare suckers who forked-out for a copy of Windows. I don't think I know ANYONE who's ever bought a legitimate copy of Windows. I expect I'll get slagged for it, but how is software piracy not stealing? Sorry, off-topic.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-02-13, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser
Straying off-topic, but why not... I could have downloaded all the software I use on my Mac at home, but did I? Nope. If I want the software enough and it's price is realistic then I always buy it. Downloading and using an illegitimate copy of software just feels wrong. I work from home fairly regularly so my Mac is a work tool for my profession. Hell... I'm one of the rare suckers who forked-out for a copy of Windows. I don't think I know ANYONE who's ever bought a legitimate copy of Windows. I expect I'll get slagged for it, but how is software piracy not stealing? Sorry, off-topic.
Back in 2001 on the day XP came out I paid $100 for the Home version so I guess that makes me the only other person you know to have ever paid for a copy of Windows.
beardedmacuser

2006-02-13, 11:17

Quote:
Back in 2001 on the day XP came out I paid $100 for the Home version so I guess that makes me the only other person you know to have ever paid for a copy of Windows.
Yey! So there's two of us! Anyone else out there who's bought a legitimate copy of Windows? (not counting an OS bundled with a new computer)

Interestingly, when it comes to OS X, everyone I know personally has a legitimate legal copy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-13, 16:09

"4-6 days" my ass.

I bought FCE last night, and I got my shipping confirmation this morning.

This makes me feel like, although a new version is coming, I'm getting the old version. Oh well. I'm not complaining - I'm getting what I paid for, anyways - and I really do need it to get here as soon as possible, so I'm glad I don't have to wait an extra week. Still, I hope there's nothing in FCE 4 (5?) that makes me kick myself for not waiting.

womblingfree

2006-02-15, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Well, you're lucky.
Nope not lucky just wrong! I tried to buy iLife 06 and was told that I must get it online through my university for a discount.

I was sure I'd got discounts before in Japan? Must be getting old
v.noir

2006-02-16, 04:24

Perhaps things work a little differently in the USA. When you log into the Education store on the Apple site, you have to give it an institution name, and that name appears at the top of the store when you're in. Perhaps they lack this kind of magic at Apple stores, so they won't let you buy software with the discounts?

The UK Education store asks you by way of a simple text field which doesn't have to be filled in, and nothing appears at the top of the Education store telling you which University you go to. I'm sure you can buy Apple software with the discount in a store as long as you can prove you're a student, of course.

I wish I could use my Education discount here in China! There's no online store here at all

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
womblingfree

2006-02-16, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir
I'm sure you can buy Apple software with the discount in a store as long as you can prove you're a student, of course.(
No, you can't. Only hardware.

By the way is it possible to buy iLife and .Mac family packs with a student discount? They don't appear on the online Education store.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-16, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir
Perhaps things work a little differently in the USA. When you log into the Education store on the Apple site, you have to give it an institution name, and that name appears at the top of the store when you're in. Perhaps they lack this kind of magic at Apple stores, so they won't let you buy software with the discounts?

The UK Education store asks you by way of a simple text field which doesn't have to be filled in, and nothing appears at the top of the Education store telling you which University you go to. I'm sure you can buy Apple software with the discount in a store as long as you can prove you're a student, of course.

I wish I could use my Education discount here in China! There's no online store here at all
Yeah, I know it's a pain. I'm thinking of ordering on the online edu store for Aus (since I am studying online presently) and then have the goods come up with the next batch of students to travel across. But seriously, Apple needs to up their profile in China, big time.

btw - the Australian education store works the same way as described for the US education store.