User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone Follow up, iWork, iLife 07

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Follow up, iWork, iLife 07
userinterface

2007-01-15, 11:49

Some of the extra apps Steve Jobs mentioned for the iPhone are iWork, and iLife 07, which will offer spreadsheets, work documents, as well as preview for PDFs and other formats. Steve left this important part out, which is one of the reason many analysts are worried about operating with word documents, and excel files, aka business.

Apple's new iWork 07 will be released AFTER Leopard, and before the iPhone which allows Apple to use CoreAnimation. Apple has quite a few tricks up their sleeve. Including that they will start with a few select developers designing apps for the iPhone, and allow them to be sold through iTunes. Eventually there will be hundreds of apps for the various models of iPhones. Apple does want to be careful, because Cingular has to eat the bandwidth for anything they do, or any App running off the phone.

Also Leopard will be released March 15th to the best of my knowledge with some GM builds coming around the 1st of March. Which frankly scares the hell out of me because I want more features, and lots of UI fixes.
JLL

2007-01-15, 11:53

March 15th sounds very unrealistic.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 12:02

My wild-assed guess is that we haven't seen a lot of Leopard's UI, and neither have devs (except maybe a select few). The bugs, etc, in the current version will never be fixed, because they're simply going to be replaced.

Which thrills and scares me.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 12:51

I'm only replying to this seriously because of your recent history.

Cingular isn't "eating" the bandwidth for anything. They're going to get money for it, and the majority of iPhone users won't fully utilize the unlimited data plan they'll no doubt be required to have.

I think we might learn the release date March 15, but we're not going to see the software released that day. From what I've seen, Leopard is just not ready.

If they do release it then, there's no way I'm buying it before it reaches 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 16:30

For what it's worth, here are some screenshots from the--supposedly--most recent build. It appears little has changed, UI wise anyway.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-16, 09:29

I totally agree with the iLife/iWork stuff in the opening paragraph. There's more to this phone we've not been told about...and I said, a week ago, that much of it probably hinges on Leopard and possibly iWork/iLife type functions (no, I don't expect a full-blown music creation or digital video app...don't be silly! But spreadsheet and/or basic document creation? Certainly!).

The input capabilities are there (hell, it can be anything you want it to be, with that touch screen, right?). Perhaps on the install DVD to iWork 07 will be an "iPhone module", with little "baby versions" of these, that load to the phone and sync with your Mac, for further fleshing out?

The iLife-related portions of this app are probably already there (and concerned mostly with display and playback, as opposed to creating): photos and music. But the iWork type of stuff - document creating (even if only a simple text-only page) and spreadsheet, that's not hard to imagine at all (I don't know how - or if - something like presentations/Keynote would do, it seems so lush and feature-packed...that might remain strictly on Macs that have the muscle and space to handle it?).

I don't know, but it's all very interesting. I truly believe Steve just scratched the surface last Tuesday. Just enough to get folks stirred up and curious, but holding some back due to the release schedules of other things (the fact that Leopard, iLife and iWork weren't even mentioned last week has to make you wonder).
defaultmike

2007-01-16, 11:15

Userinterface's comments make sense. I'm just wondering when they're gonna have a special event to announce Leopard and iLife/iWork 07. I'm def. looking forward to iDVD 07. I hope they have some cool new menus, I have way too much fun with those :P

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-01-16, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by userinterface View Post
Some of the extra apps Steve Jobs mentioned for the iPhone are iWork, and iLife 07, which will offer spreadsheets, work documents, as well as preview for PDFs and other formats. Steve left this important part out, which is one of the reason many analysts are worried about operating with word documents, and excel files, aka business.

Apple's new iWork 07 will be released AFTER Leopard, and before the iPhone which allows Apple to use CoreAnimation. Apple has quite a few tricks up their sleeve. Including that they will start with a few select developers designing apps for the iPhone, and allow them to be sold through iTunes. Eventually there will be hundreds of apps for the various models of iPhones. Apple does want to be careful, because Cingular has to eat the bandwidth for anything they do, or any App running off the phone.

Also Leopard will be released March 15th to the best of my knowledge with some GM builds coming around the 1st of March. Which frankly scares the hell out of me because I want more features, and lots of UI fixes.
Despite that you where quite vague with your last prediction, you managed to both get the magnitude right and put your head on the block for it. So I'll just take you up on this one.

Sounds grRRRRRreat!
JK47

2007-01-16, 19:30

Was it me, or did Jobs use some new Keynote effects during the Keynote?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-16, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I would hardly be suprised. I believe he's used new Keynote effects in the past.

And I totally believe userinterface here. It all seems to "fit," and her last prediction was spot-on.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-16, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Yes, he did. The spinning graphics leading into the iPhone intro were new, as was the effect that removed "Computer" from Apple Computer, Inc. There were a few others, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Mac_GirL

2007-01-16, 20:03

I need my iWork!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-16, 23:12

I'm just hoping/praying/pleasedeargodpleasepleasepleaseplease that Core Animation in Keynote will let me slide objects around the slide. I did a series of UML animations for my dissertation by fricking hand. 15-20 'frames' popping in and out in order on one slide, all UML diagrams generated by hand in OmniGraffle bit by bit by bit by bit by bit by bit byAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah. That's what I want.
Gizzer

2007-01-17, 11:09

Most of this makes sense. As for the iPhone follow up - in the Keynote there was a throwaway line from either Steve or Cingular-Bloke, that actually said 3G would be added to later products. The original rumour was that 2 phones were in development, and having seen the iPhone specs I can quite believe it. The iPhone is the Everyman phone and the unannounced phone will answer prayers of all the spec-whores.

The iphone is just the tip of the iceberg. Of course, when the next phone is going to be announced/introduced is really the next big question. Definitely not before June, and probably not before the end of the year. I would imagine Apple are very keen to build a large user base from the existing iPhone before they blow us away with the iSmartphone....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-17, 12:11

If the iPhone is the "everyman phone" at $599, I don't think I want to know the price of the "real" iPhone.
Gizzer

2007-01-17, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If the iPhone is the "everyman phone" at $599, I don't think I want to know the price of the "real" iPhone.
Ahhh. But you forget: Steve said "What should we charge? It's a phone, it's an iPod, it's an Internet Device. It's a phone, it's an iPod, it's an Internet Device. It's a phone, it's an iPod, it's an Internet Device."

...But seriously. I agree. In functionality & Specs, it is an everyman phone. It's a Smart Phone, rather than a Smartphone. BUT the price says otherwise.

Who knows what they will charge when the real iSmartphone is released.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2007-01-18, 19:02

Word on the street is *late* spring for Leopard.

And it will be very, very cool.