AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Having Cancer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Having Cancer
Page 14 of 17 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-04, 08:33

The wheelchair ride to the car feels like winning the Olympics. Go get your medal!
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-02-04, 09:32

Glad to hear you're out and ok, man. You are one tough bastard.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-02-04, 15:45

Hospital denying you twice-a-day sponge-baths given by hot nurses is unacceptable. Explain this is part of your belief system and they are discriminating unfairly against your religious practices!

...into the light of a dark black night.
Freewell

2011-02-04, 23:26

Wow... Just now catching up on the AN events of this past year... All the best to you Curiousburb, and praying for a speedy and Complete recovery!!
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-02-06, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
Igor ( pronounced Eye-gor, Polish origin ) and Surgeon ( Tasmanian origin ) denied requests for Biblical constructs or mysterious Mexican wakeup. But they confirmed removal of slab of 5 ribs in section under armpit, a small shaving of involved brachial nerve, and a bit of lung and pleura until they saw normal tissue. Relevant bits off to pathology to check margins.

Went through old scar, but extended it to spine and under arm. No staples this time, and 2 of 3 drains out already, so early escape looking more likely than month long stay. Yay!

Got iPhone pic, but may wait until home to send.

Opiate pump doesn't compensate for dire hospital food, but I won't complain if paths report clear.
If your surgeon has a God complex, maybe you can get him to try to turn those five ribs into five women for you.

Sorry to hear that you've been having such a rough go of it. Keep up the spirits (I'd suggest imbibing a few) and keep getting better!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-02-16, 08:57

Home more than a week now (amazing to be discharged 4 and a half days after such major surgery), and thought I'd post some more gory details.

Scar Redux! Bigger, better, and in 3-D! -- click each for big --

Continues around to front, too. 3 new drains below existing ones. Swelling of layered muscles at seam make it feel like I'm sleeping on a rope. But dissolving stitches means no staples this time, Yay!

And for those who prefer the deeper X-ray view...

Before

After removal of top 5 ribs (with drains in)

You can see a mouse and menu popup near one drain tube

After (zoom view)

Still got collar bone and shoulder blade, but otherwise only muscle on left side at top. Feels odd. Some vestigial stubs of rib still visible, but I'm not sure if they're front or back... will have to wait for next CT slice for visual proof.

Side still massively sore, but I've upped my opiates until it's tolerable. Huge list of things to take every day... liquids, pills, patches, and injections.

Some definite loss of sensation due to nerve removal and/or damage. L nipple and surrounding chest almost completely numb. Moob sagginess ain't my fault there.
Left hand has lost grip and some motor control. My signature doesn't match anymore, and in fact looks like a child's writing as motor and sensory nerves seemingly aren't back in sync yet. Luckily my typing isn't affected as noticeably.
Curiously the ring and pinky finger are controlled by nerves that run from brachial plexus down underside of arm (still numb in my case), while thumb and first two fingers have nerves that run separately down top of arm. Weird evolutionary quirk.

Got squeezy ball to help left hand, then hoping for some physio (nurse suggested pilates). Doc said be careful with overhead stretches because the scapula could slot inside sixth rib and get wedged. Thanks for that mental image.

But improving every day... waiting for histology/pathology results to know if they got everything. Fingers crossed... at least the ones that still respond like they used to.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-16, 09:16

You are DEFINITELY going to have to put some neosporin on that booboo, mister. I had a pyogenic granuloma removed from a finger last week and it freaked me out to have a numb finger - different from coming back from the dentist with a numb mouth... I know you'll adapt, it's a fair exchange! Heal it up, buddy.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-02-16, 11:15

You are officially the toughest sumbich I have ever seen in my life. I bow to your powers of manliness and resiliency. Holy....
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-02-16, 11:22

Holy hell.

That is crazy.

All the best to you Burb. It really is amazing what medicine can do these days. That scar is crazy and those x-rays....just wow.

Again, all the best Burb.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-02-16, 16:15

Good to see you up and about 'Burb.

That is incredible. Hope the histology/pathology reports are clear. Praying that it is all good news for you.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-02-16, 16:26

Radical surgery is radical!

Burb, you are a tough mofo and I salute you!

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-02-16, 16:38

Great Giggety Schnitzels! (as my son would say)

From this day forward, any time you are around women who complain about childbirth and how men can't handle pain, it is incumbent on you to rip your shirt off and say "let's see your scar b....."

So real question - do they put some kind of fake ribs in there for structure and torso protection? And if so, is that done already, or do they wait for this to heal first?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-16, 17:59

You, Sir, are a fucking badass.

Chicks dig scars.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-02-16, 21:03

I am very glad to see you up and about and posting, Burb.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-02-16, 21:23

Wow major stuff going on, take care and I hope the healing process is smooth and trouble free.
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-02-17, 06:28

This is all very fascinating, 'burb, until I realize again the suffering involved. You're hard as a rock, which I imagine exists much beyond fine humor in a post. I wish for your speedy and enduring recovery!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-03-06, 18:45

That scar is incredible, C. Hope it has healed up by now and that your soreness is greatly diminished. You are amazingly upbeat and stalwart. You're in all our thoughts.

Love,

C.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-03-09, 13:12

Buddy, I haven't seen this thread since my last post in it... I don't even have much to add other than the fact that you are the toughest bastard I've seen in a long while. The fact that you can deal with this and come in here with a "hey, check this shit out, boys" attitude about it is just... awesome.

Brass ones. For sure. Good luck with the recovery, man.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-03-09, 14:45

Holy shit. I somehow missed this threads continuation. It's horrible to read, but what an ending now!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-09, 15:56

Keep kicking ass, burb.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-03-09, 16:17

Hope things keep looking up for you. Glad to see you still posting.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-10, 05:52

Hoping to get good pathology results at my GPs tomorrow.

Apparently the decalcification of bones is required for complete testing. At least 2 weeks for elderly folks, but because I'm younger and might have supercalcifragilistic bones it's taken longer.

They took quite a slab of ribs, so I'm visualizing the brontosaurus ribs tipping over Flintstone's car...

Still damn sore (and still popping opiates), but considering I'm home celebrating the one month anniversary and the surgeon's pre-op worst case estimate was that I might still be in hospital at this point, I'm pretty chuffed.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2011-03-10 at 14:32. Reason: clarified?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-03-10, 08:35

Awesome! Did they have you cathetered during any of this? I just woke up, can't remember if you had drains/plugs. Am wondering what kind of "gacky" biological oozes you have to tend. It's weird how they stop being gross and just turn into something you "just do". Been wondering how you're sleeping... which side, or on your back. Suppose the opiates help. Anyway, glad you're home! You're a badass!!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-10, 14:31

Clarification: Op was Feb 2, I was home Feb 6.

Pre-op, surgeon said "Hospital stay might be days, might be weeks or months", so I was out at the low end, and toasted the 1 month anniversary with what-if amazement.

Catheter was first 2 days, 2 of 3 drains were out by day 2, the other day 3.

Still really only comfy sleeping on my back. Can handle non-surgery side for short periods. Surgery side probably not for many more months.

Opiates FTW!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-10, 15:29

We've got our collective good karma working for you, Burb. Keep us posted!

(And I'm not accepting "I was high" as an excuse if you lose in the first round of the playoffs. )

...into the light of a dark black night.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-03-10, 19:15

That's great recovery time. Let's hope it means the sucker is on the ground - kick it while it's down! (it's not like there's any sportsmanship to keep up here anyway )
Hassan i Sabbah

2011-03-11, 07:43

When will that stupid cancer get the message?

YOU DO NOT FUCK WITH THE BURB.

You, my never-met friend, are a fucking monster and for my part I respect you more than I can say.

gibberish
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-11, 08:44

Haven't read details myself yet, but my GP called with pathology results (4 pages), which basically said...

Margins clear! Woohoo!

Somewhere in the 14 x 9 x 3 slab of chest wall they took out there was apparently some active tumour that Chemo and Rayguns hadn't killed, so the surgery was justified... (I'd have been pissed if it was for nothing)... but clear margins is the big news.

Thanks again for all the support from folks here... wherever you are in meatspace, it's great to think there's planetwide good vibes emanating from the tubes of 'Nova.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2011-03-11 at 20:03. Reason: units might be inches
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-03-11, 09:20

That's great news!

Do forgive my ignorance, does clear margins = remission?
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-03-11, 09:31

Hell yeah! Enjoy the weekend, burb.