User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Redesigned MacBook Pro and iMac coming in first half of 2011?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Redesigned MacBook Pro and iMac coming in first half of 2011?
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
iMacs possibly getting updated alongside new notebooks?

Talk about a cool day...

The pro notebooks and the flagship desktop.

Talking about new screen sizes, which I find tough to believe. Larger? Smaller?
We are about due for an iMac speed bump, but I wouldn't expect a redesign (different screen sizes, whatever). I think they'll redesign them after Lion hits, in line with tradition (2004, 2007, 2009) and to take advantage of new features in Lion (that Launchpad seems just made for a touchscreen, doesn't it?). But they could give it a speed bump now and still be due for a redesign in October (~8 months).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-02-22, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
That's all correct. The question is, do Pro users need the drive while travelling? If yes, the drive stays. If no, the drive is going external.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Can you really give a definitive answer on that though? If you need more of the portability without the drive, why not just go with the MBA?
Some folks have need of the horsepower, but don't have need for the drive. I think that a good number of pro editors have learned that CD/DVD haven't got the capacity, the speed, nor the flexibility to deal with the file size issues.

Actually, other than ripping CD's and DVD's, I haven't used my optical drives in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Dude!!!!!
CNET is reporting that Intel will introduce Light Peak on Thusday!!! You know what that means, yeah?...
Light Peak on the Mac Pro towers, of course.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-02-22, 19:01

Quote:
I cannot see the Optical-for-SSD trade off. That optical occupies an awful lot of space, and its absence would create a lot of air space and center-of-gravity problems, and you know how Steve-o is about balance. I actually think there will be a two drive option, regardless of whether or not the optical drive sticks around. Those MBA flash drives don't occupy very much space.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 19:05

Quote:
The higher resolution (I am not going to say HD) screen strikes me as a given, considering the 13" MacBook Air already has the 1440*900 screen standard and it's basically the same price as the 13" MacBook Pro. The 16GB flash system drive is certainly the rumor du jour, and it makes sense too — maybe that was one reason Apple focused so much on making the Snow Leopard installation smaller. And I can see the white MacBook going away — I'm certainly not expecting it to get an update.

But some of that other stuff seems kind of weird, like they mixed some blindingly obvious stuff in with their weird wish list. But nothing on that list is unpossible, I suppose.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-02-22, 19:15

Wait, wait, wait…what about this:

What if Apple ships the 15" MacBook Pro with a 16GB Flash drive for the system, a 500GB drive in the standard drive bay, and the option to add a second 2.5" SATA drive in the optical bay. And the standard drive could be swapped for an SSD, and the optical bay would be filled with an SSD. That would be three SSD drives.

Holy whoppers, Batman!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I cannot see the Optical-for-SSD trade off. That optical occupies an awful lot of space, and its absence would create a lot of air space and center-of-gravity problems, and you know how Steve-o is about balance. I actually think there will be a two drive option, regardless of whether or not the optical drive sticks around. Those MBA flash drives don't occupy very much space.
Yeah, I'm not counting that 16GB thing as a drive, since it's not replacing a drive bay or anything. So you have:

The HDD, which could be replaced with a big SSD, just like everything else, and

The optical drive, which...could be replaced with a SSD only? That doesn't make much sense. Why not a second hard drive? And you're right, there's a big size difference.

The only way that rumor makes sense is if there is no "HDD bay" and all you get is the 16GB system drive and either an optical drive or a proper SSD. But I can't see that happening, because A) the 16GB system drive doesn't take up much space and B) a 16GB-only notebook would just be crazy, especially since the 13" apparently doesn't have then optical swap option (swaptical? swaption?).

Maybe the rumored was confused, and thought "SuperDrive" referred to the HDD? I'm all for giving people who don't need an optical more options, but the way it's described (only the 15" and 17", only SSD) doesn't make much sense to me. But I guess we'll see.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-02-22, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
(swaptical? swaption?)
Swaptical? How very Third Reich-ish of you!

So now my computer has ways of making me talk. Great!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-22, 20:18

Three quick thoughts I have:
  • I am eager to hear if the LightPeak to be introduced will be forward compatible for when they switch from copper to fiber.
  • Furthermore, the rumored screen upgrades make me wonder if the 17" switches to a better panel.
  • Lastly, I wonder how OS X would handle the separation of System, Applications, and Home folders. Not expecting any hiccups, I'm just trying to envision what would be where

Sounds like a worthy update, if it pans out as expected...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2011-02-22 at 20:42.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Swaptical? How very Third Reich-ish of you!

So now my computer has ways of making me talk. Great!
I don't get it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Furthermore, the rumored screen upgrades make me wonder if the 17" switches to a better panel.
The 17" 1920*1200 panel is still higher than the 1680*1050 panel, so I don't think it will. I think Apple is just tidying up their options matrix — 13", 15", 17", 900 lines, 1050 lines, 1200 lines. Elegant. They won't have to worry about supplying three different 13" panels to their three 13" notebooks, or people wanting an anti-glare version of the low-resolution 15" panel, or whatever. Plus, I think Apple would like to have the option of replacing both the 15" and 17" models with a 1920*1080 16:9 display with the next full redesign or whatever.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-22, 23:05

Robo: It's a comedy staple that Nazis have "vays ov mekking you talk"!!!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-22, 23:08

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get where the Nazi thing is coming from.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-22, 23:59

Needs bluray, wtf?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-02-23, 00:01

Quote:
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get where the Nazi thing is coming from.
Sorry. Let me explain:

"Swaptical" = "Swastika"

Bad joke. Moving on.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-23, 09:12

French site has photos of new "Thunderbolt" port!!!

This photo shows a metal body that looks way fake, at least on my iPhone.

Cool?! ;D

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-23, 09:27

Hmmm. Somebody said that their "photo" of the new port looks like a Display Port.... Hmmm

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-02-23, 09:29

Well, it's supposedly backwards-compatible with miniDisplayPort. I'm not sure I buy that, though if true, that'd be neat (hopefully, daisy-chaining is possible?).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-23, 09:32

Apple's never used Intel's official processor logos before — they've always preferred to use their own, simpler logos. And I'm not sure they'd use the technical-ish abbreviation "I/O" in such a prominent position in their features column. But MacRumors thinks it's true. And there's apparently now multiple shots of the port and spec sheet floating around, so...

The resolution is really disappointing, if true.

I'm not sure I like the name "Thunderbolt." Three syllables? Plus, I'm pretty sure that lightning bolt symbol already means like a hundred things already, most of them not very positive...

Jason
Veteran Member

2011-02-23, 09:39

Quote:
Plus, I'm pretty sure that lightning bolt symbol already means like a hundred things already, most of them not very positive...
Indeed. They mostly mean chance of electrocution.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-23, 09:47

Not to mention that Verizon's first 4G phone is the HTC Thunderbolt, said to be launching the exact same day.

I don't know. It's looking like none of the rumors (reduced weight, SSD boot drive, higher resolutions) are going to pan out except for Light Peak. That new port better be pretty damn special.

Jason
Veteran Member

2011-02-23, 09:50

Personally, I still don't buy the LightPeak thing for MBP. I know Intel have their event the same day but it still feels like BS to me.
Of course, if there is little else to wow people with for this new update then maybe they need to bring this in quickly. I would have thought it more suited to a Mac Pro introduction.

The LightPeak connector will be what they try to sell people on with the new machines.

And yet still, everyone seems to be caught up in the fuss over this but are there actually any peripherals available?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-23, 09:53

What's so disappointing about the resolution? What's important particularly for Apple's sealed boxes (basically everything except the Mac Pro) is that some form of next gen I/O is present and installed. It would be better if these also had USB3, but if Intel is going to push Lightpeak and it gets full Microsoft Windows support, then it's basically set as a standard.

Hopefully, Apple hasn't done anything too proprietary to the implementation. I'm not sure about carrying display port on the same plug. Might turn into a bit of kludge if you're trying to hook up a monitor and some other Lightpeak peripheral. Probably be OK with a new generation of monitors that carry a thru-port/breakout of some kind. Might not be so good for existing displays.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-23, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
What's so disappointing about the resolution?
The 13" MacBook Air has had a 1440*900 display standard since last October, but the 13" MacBook Pro soldiers on with a 1280*800 display even on new models introduced in late February?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-02-23, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
What's so disappointing about the resolution?
It makes no sense to me that the Air's resolution is higher than the same-sized Pro's.

Quote:
What's important particularly for Apple's sealed boxes (basically everything except the Mac Pro) is that some form of next gen I/O is present and installed. It would be better if these also had USB3, but if Intel is going to push Lightpeak and it gets full Microsoft Windows support, then it's basically set as a standard.
True.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-23, 10:20

I wonder what will come of USB3. I use an 8GB memory card. This gets me 385 12MP RAW files. Consumer DSLR's now span 14-18MP, and we'll have 20-40MP over the next couple of years, and video, and we'll be using 16, 32, 64 and greater. That's a lot of time to sit there and wait for a file transfer... I had FW400 and only USB1.1 on my 12" powerbook. All the cheap peripherals ended up coming in USB2, even Apple's own iPod. That sucked. Of course, back then, Intel/Windows/Microsoft drove USB2. The situation seems a little different with Intel, but what does Redmond intend to do. They sometimes like pushing a different standard seemingly just because, ie. HD-DVD...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-23, 10:40

Screw the resolution. Why haven't they put a floppy drive back on the damn thing?!?
Noel

2011-02-23, 10:48

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the name "Thunderbolt." Three syllables?
Better than "firewire" at least.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-23, 11:02

USB = three syllables
As is "Ethernet" and "Gigabit"...and since they're almost always used together, that's six syllables.
Thunderbolt is fine.
The lightning icon is weird, as noted earlier, as it's usually seem on high voltage equipment and most people associate it with being killed-to-death or something. That alone might account for any slower adoption rates.

"I'd like to hook all this stuff up, but I don't want to get zapped...".

I can think of a couple of instances where the lightning bolt symbol is kinda cool and doesn't freak anyone out:

Okay...the jury is still out on that second one.

And that picture above that Drew linked to...I realize it could be the camera flash and extreme close-up, but Apple hasn't decided to go with bassboat metalflake on their new notebooks, have they?

I had a guitar like that once, years ago. But I'm not sure it would translate to a piece of sleek, high-tech gear.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-23, 11:32

Quote:
USB = three syllables
As is "Ethernet" and "Gigabit"...and since they're almost always used together, that's six syllables.
Thunderbolt is fine.
"Thunderbolt" is clumsy as is, but I'm more worried about the inevitable "Thunderbolt 2" or "Thunderbolt 100." Or "Thunderbolt port," which we'll all have to say a zillion times in the future.

"Gigabit" and "Thunderbolt" both have three syllables, true, but I'm guessing you can say "Gigabit" faster than "Thunderbolt," right? The "Th," "nd," and "lt" all serve to slow the speaker down. "Gigabit" has no such sounds, and is short and snappy in comparison.

"Light Peak" was an evocative and percussive name — those hard "p" and "k" sounds are the stuff branding dreams are made of — but I get that it might have been a bit esoteric for a consumer-facing product. But even if Apple/Intel wanted something more traditional, something like "LightSpeed" would have been roughly a zillion times better than "Thunderbolt." LightSpeed port. LightSpeed 100.

The only nice thing to say about Thunderbolt is that it has no descenders, which makes it look nice, in print. But how often are we going to see it in print? It has an icon, which is problematic for other reasons. And it'll probably be reduced to an abbreviation most of the time, like even the shorter FireWire was. And what will that abbreviation be? TB?

It's just not a very good name.

/pointless nerdery

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-23, 11:52

I was just going to say, in the same way that everyone likes to shorten/snazzy up long names or words, I'm sure Thunderbolt will eventually be said (at least among the geek/tech community) as "T-bolt" or something. Just as the titanium PowerBook G4 became TiBook about six minutes after its introduction.

If Apple wanted to be clever they could create a commercial for this new thing featuring Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges.

I'll let folks stew on that one for a bit...