User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.
Page 54 of 64 First Previous 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58  Next Last Thread Tools
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2011-01-25, 12:36

The King Is Dead - The Decemberists

even for them, this is pretty stunning! Peter Buck is on it, a lot of nods to REM, lyrically sublime as usual.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-25, 13:13

"Walkin' on the Moon" - Kris Menace feat. Emil. It is juicy.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-25, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
The King Is Dead - The Decemberists

even for them, this is pretty stunning! Peter Buck is on it, a lot of nods to REM, lyrically sublime as usual.
Same. Calamity Song definitely reminded me of old REM. And there are a few hints of O' Brother Where Art Thou with Gillian Welch on there.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-01-27, 10:23

I've been appreciating some Leonard Cohen. In particular, the albums Songs of Love and Hate and New Skins for the Old Ceremony.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-12, 00:00

Yankee Bayonet on The Crane Wife from The Decemberists. I've recently reencoded a lot of my CDs into 320 kbps AAC in preparation for my fancy new headphones (either the Sennheiser my HD555 with a foam mod to make them sound like the HD595 or the Shure SRH840) but even on old HD238s the reencode makes a big difference.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-16, 23:38

Boys for Pele, Tori Amos. I have no idea what the lyrics are about - some feminist stuff, I'm sure - but it's just such a beautifully recorded and produced record. There's so much to hear. I love it.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-18, 11:03

So, yeah. Radiohead has new album out. NOW. Called "The King of Limbs". I haven't heard it yet (downloading it now - legally, thankyouverymuch).
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2011-02-18, 11:14

I'm going through my Simple Minds library today.
Currently listening to 'Someone, Somewhere in Summertime'.
¡Damned!

2011-02-18, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
So, yeah. Radiohead has new album out. NOW. Called "The King of Limbs". I haven't heard it yet (downloading it now - legally, thankyouverymuch).
NPR is having a "Listening Party" at 2pm ET (in 20 minutes) and will be playing the entire album. I plan on buying it anyways, but it'll be nice to get a first listen today while I'm working.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/18/133862...ve-at-2-p-m-et

So it goes.
SKMDC

2011-02-18, 14:29

King of Limbs - radiohead
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-02-18, 14:41

Quote:
King of Limbs - radiohead
Yeah got this today too. Love it. If you enjoy the kid a/amnesiac records, you'll like this one.
SKMDC

2011-02-18, 15:26

It's a subdued affair, lots of sonic landscapes.....
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-18, 23:09

Codex.

Talk about spare and haunting. It's in such contrast to the songs prior to it. BTW, what version did you guys buy? I bought the .wav files + vinyl. I've got several limited edition radiohead albums and I really appreciate having them.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-18, 23:12

Adele.

She's a big girl with a beautiful voice.
SKMDC

2011-02-19, 00:03

Richard & Linda Thompson - Walking on a Wire

I got the vinyl + mp3 but it doesn't ship until april? (For the Radiohead)
If everyone did the Vinyl + download included, I would buy a lot more physical product.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-19, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Adele.

She's a big girl with a beautiful voice.
The live version of "Someone Like You" (either the Brit Awards one, or the Jools Holland one) is so beautiful. The album version doesn't quite capture the same feeling - seems a little overproduced.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-19, 00:19

Quote:
Richard & Linda Thompson - Walking on a Wire

I got the vinyl + mp3 but it doesn't ship until april? (For the Radiohead)
If everyone did the Vinyl + download included, I would buy a lot more physical product.
I think it's May. I don't even *have* a record player but I just had to get the vinyl. I think I'll be looking at getting a record player in the near future. Vinyl seems like a cool (and expensive ) hobby.

SKMDC

2011-02-19, 00:38

depends, some bands yes, some bands no. Mumford & Sons is 10$.
Decemberists, Fleet Foxes I got for 13 or so and came with downloads. There are a ton of Jazz reissues that are around 20 - 25 for 1 disc, and then last year Atlantic released all it's Mingus selections for 10, so clearly executives are not agreeing on a vinyl strategy.
it's all the prerelease and limited edition hoohah that's big bucks. I thought the RadioHead looked pretty fairly priced. wait til you look for turntables, you can drop 4 - 10 grand on a turntable (they look like museum pieces), or get a great one for 200. My only advice is if you play an instrument and like to play with records get a turntable with pitch control.

Wake Up Everybody - Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-02-20, 22:02

Lotus Flower.

I saw that video with Thom dancing. When I first saw them in concert about 7-8 years ago (for the Kid A tour), I said to my wife "he looks like he went to the Michael Stipe school of dance". He hasn't changed any of his moves in the intervening years. Awesome.

What's so weird about the video is that he did it at all. He seems so self-conscious in so many ways but then he does this sort of thing.

I don't get reluctant superstars.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-02, 23:41

Feral from The King of Limbs. This is a really good album. If you haven't listened to it with a good pair of headphones, you should. There's a lot going on with the space in the songs. They're pretty brilliant at somehow sucking air out of your ears for a reverse "sound".

I think that if the only thing I could ever listen to again was a Radiohead album Ok Computer and later, I'd be ok with that. Geniuses. At this point, I'd probably pay any amount just to see them in concert again but they never tour anywhere near me.

Oh, if anyone wants to a copy of the album, let me know. I bought it in .wav format (with the vinyl) for myself and then my wife bought it in .wav format as part of my birthday present. Yes, I know it's probably easier to find than google, but at least you can get it guilt free.

Anonymous Coward

2011-03-03, 03:04

Natasha Borzilova (Cheap Escape, Balancing Act)
Lydia Salnikova (Hallway)

Sergio and Odair Assad's guitar duet of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Paul Robeson's Anthem of the USSR
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-03, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Oh, if anyone wants to a copy of the album, let me know. I bought it in .wav format (with the vinyl) for myself and then my wife bought it in .wav format as part of my birthday present. Yes, I know it's probably easier to find than google, but at least you can get it guilt free.
This megabroke non-pirating college kid would love a listen...

And collecting vinyl is super fun. It doesn't have to be expensive; it's mainly the limited edition and import-only stuff that kills you. Like, the super deluxe UK-only New Order +- box set that comes with a Peter Saville print. Just as an example.

Like SKMDC, I think way more artists should do the vinyl+download thing. That would be awsum.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-03, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
This megabroke non-pirating college kid would love a listen...

And collecting vinyl is super fun. It doesn't have to be expensive; it's mainly the limited edition and import-only stuff that kills you. Like, the super deluxe UK-only New Order +- box set that comes with a Peter Saville print. Just as an example.

Like SKMDC, I think way more artists should do the vinyl+download thing. That would be awsum.
YGPM.

I was at my local record store (yes, they still exist!) the other week and as I flipped through the records, I noticed that there were a lot of records being offered with digital download codes. Nearly all the new ones and many of them were offering downloads of high quality mp3 (320 kbps) or FLAC. Pretty cool.

SKMDC

2011-03-03, 11:05

The Decemberists do that.

I was at my local shop and I picked up the first Jackson Browne album. $2.99 original textured cover, don't think it had ever been played.

Thursday is record day at my house as no one is at home and I can really crank, Jackson sings in my key so let's just say it's very loud and the dog is hiding.

Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-08, 22:28

Thx again tori. "Codex" and "Feral" are the highlights of the album, for me. I often cue it to "Codex" and just let the rest of the record play, because it's all pretty stellar.

Some people are all like, it sounds like a Thom solo album. And I'm like, are you saying that like that's not completely awesome?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-08, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Thx again tori. "Codex" and "Feral" are the highlights of the album, for me. I often cue it to "Codex" and just let the rest of the record play, because it's all pretty stellar.

Some people are all like, it sounds like a Thom solo album. And I'm like, are you saying that like that's not completely awesome?
Yes, a solo Thom Yorke album is good. But a radiohead album is better. This is a radiohead album, start to finish. I think that people often mistake the music as a vehicle for Thom's voice/lyrics but to me they're inseparable. There was a lot missing on his solo album that's here on this one - the rest of radiohead are geniuses in their own rights. It's rare to have so much musical talent in one band.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-03-08, 23:56

I'm listening to the entire Fever 105 album from GTA: Vice City. As good a game as VC was, the soundtrack was even better. The Fever 105 station in particular was just a smorgasbord of juicy smooth 70s and 80s groove. I could listen to this stuff all night, and I probably will.
SKMDC

2011-03-09, 22:42

I know many have given up on REM, but the new record is quite solid. The final track Blue, which is with Patti Smith is really great.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-09, 22:44

Quote:
I know many have given up on REM, but the new record is quite solid. The final track Blue, which is with Patti Smith is really great.
In the course of the last month, we've seen a new Decemberists album, new radiohead and new REM. That's too much music for me to stay on top of. I need my music to sink in or it never makes it into rotation. Ah well. It's a good dilemma to have.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-09, 23:54

I just got the new Lupe Fiasco album in the mail yesterday. Haven't gotten too deep into it, just got too many exams on my plate (at the moment).

User formally known as Sh0eWax