User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 30 of 49 First Previous 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-12, 14:47

Well, in another group effort, we managed to repair the damage, cause ANOTHER minor disaster, and repair the damage again.

Also, bobsky, I see what you mean about spiders clogging the trap up top. I went into the overhead observation chamber and saw some four or five spiders bumping into each other there. Frustrated with what I saw, I poked a hole in the glass, shot the spiders out of the way, and restored the glass. Any thoughts on widening the hole by one block in teach direction?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2011-02-12, 14:54

Would that even be possible? We'd have to move the 4 steps back one, of course, but I don't know how (if) the tributaries would affect the 7-block water flow. What about installing cacti on each of the 4 corners?

We should draw straws to see who goes in.

[edit]: Thinking about it now, I don't know if we could move just the 4 steps back. The tributaries wouldn't affect the flow, but all the steps on the 4 main arteries would need to be moved back 1 block.

I think. Unless a 6-block flow before the flow into the hole would work. I don't know. Friggin water is so unpredictable at times.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-12, 15:04

In any case, it would be a real challenge to make any change now that it's totally dark up there and constantly spawning!

¡Damned!

2011-02-12, 15:11

Hell yes it would. There's the almost unavoidable creeper asplosion that may cause more damage than it's worth.

Can you turn mobs off from your end at all? I'd be willing to jump in and install some cacti real quick. If that doesn't work we'll have to look at changing the water flow.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-12, 15:15

I can turn off mobs, but I have to restart the server to do it.

Also, wait, weren't you supposed to go help some kids move today?

¡Damned!

2011-02-12, 15:24

My kids.

Stuff is packed, leaving at 5. But the missus has given me an hour in MC before we go.

¡Damned!

2011-02-12, 15:48

Hmm. Now that I'm looking at it, it may be possible to install 2 blocks of cactus from the bottom of the trap...

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-12, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I can turn off mobs, but I have to restart the server to do it.

Also, wait, weren't you supposed to go help some kids move today?
Turn mobs off? thats the sissy way to do it. You need to make an opening, get 4 archers each w/ 8x64 arrows covering whoever gets the short straw as they go in to fix it

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-12, 17:15

um... no real way to adjust the design at this point. I think spiders will be an issue with any design -- since they can climb, and tend not to want to fall down mysterious holes, unlike their mob colleagues. Making the hole bigger will just move the clogging spiders back a bit. Cacti is probably the better solution, but carries some design challenges: how to avoid mobs falling around the hole necessary for the cacti to grow.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-12, 17:16

Actually, 709 and I already fixed the flow problem. Four strategically placed cacti will kill stuck spiders without getting other mobs stuck and won't affect the water flow. The rate seems much better now. Success!

Also, the trap now occasionally (rarely) drops cacti into the collector.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Last edited by Brad : 2011-02-13 at 00:17. Reason: 790 ≠ 709

¡Damned!

2011-02-13, 00:07

Sorry I had to split so quickly, but I'm happy to hear the trap is working a bit better.

I'll be setting up my machines tomorrow morning, so I'll check it out then.

btw: "790" is somewhat offensive. I knew a 790 back in the day - well, in fact - and he was a bit of a mindless fuck. Towing the party line and everything... you know. I'm the only 709, and I take some personal pride in that.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-13, 02:47

The framework for 1F of Parapa Palace is laid. There are some EXCELLENT views of Chichen Itza at night from it. I will be placing ladders to the roof from the back of the palace, because it is an awesome sight.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

arteggio

2011-02-13, 11:37

Yesterday I roamed around another, massive server called Aurora and I wanted to share a few things.

First, somehow they've gotten the Nether to work. It's not that important to travel down there (harvesting æther and glowstone would be convenient though), but it was cool since I'd never been there before. I have no clue how they've gotten it working (unless Notch released some stealth update, which I doubt).

Second, they have warps, and if it's not from Bukkit it must be from another mod (I assume the one listed 'Warp'). Something to look into Brad?

And that night picture's totally cool.

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-02-13 at 11:49.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-13, 12:43

Speaking of awesome sights:

2011-02-13_01.07.17 by billybobsky, on Flickr

AND (bonus Thunderpoit's tree farm before trees added):

2011-02-10_22.18.48 by billybobsky, on Flickr

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-13, 13:30

Love the map update! Thanks for doing that for us Brad.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-13, 17:16

Thanks for the update Brad. With that night shot I was able to find the caves I was looking for after my first drunken night on. Now I've derailed my plans and am exploring their depths.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-13, 23:43

Brad, I saw your counting. I found the error. The "finished" wall needed another double slab layer. The count is correct now.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-14, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Brad, I saw your counting.

Glad we both speak the same language! ("Lines-and-piles-of-dirt" for those who weren't there.)

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-14, 03:37

I was poking around the cave system near the spawn and might have, just maybe, caused a significant collapse of the sand into the cave.

Who am I kidding? Godzilla's head is leaking into the tunnels below.

The fix is going to require some work -- I am off to bed right now, but if it hasn't been addressed by the time i log on tomorrow, i will fix it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-14, 07:34

Godzilla went down on you?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-14, 14:18

so i fixed that collapse, but another occurred shortly after... I was in the middle of fixing it, when my internet died... i will be back on tonight to fix the remainder of the damage...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-14, 15:37

...so nobody repair the damage, otherwise Bbsky may be trapped when he logs back on.

I have a similar bit of damage over by Kitty Hawk to deal with so any tips gratefully received. Do you just drop sand in it? Or fix it from the cave end?

¡Damned!

2011-02-14, 16:37

MUAHHAAAHAAA!!! *rubs cobblestone*

Seriously though, sand caves are from hell. I've suffocated a number of times by accidentally torching a block and lost all my loot every single time. I'd suggest building a ceiling from below and then covering it with sand from above to fix the damage. That's what I had to do for the South altar path through/under the desert. Torching the ground and letting them drop works best for quick removal if needed.

So it goes.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-14, 16:42

Yeah...build a ceiling underneath and then re-sand the top.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-14, 22:46

How long does the server normally take to restart?

¡Damned!

2011-02-14, 22:47

Not this long....

...back in now. That was a long timeout though.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-14, 23:46

Well, this was kind of fun to make.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Not really. PITA is more like it. Never again.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-15, 00:08

What program made that?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-15, 00:16

Several.

I pruned down the world with MC Map Deleter. I converted to OBJ format using mcobj. I poked around in the new version of Blender while my brain reeled at the abomination that is Blender's UI (it's getting better in small ways, but its "learning curve" is still off the charts) and gave up on that. I imported the OBJ into Cinema 4D and searched for a way to get the corresponding MTL file imported before I remembered how C4D's import tools suck balls. Realizing that C4D was still my best hope, I broke down and manually colorized a bunch of the "textures" that had all loaded as plain grey. I tossed in some quick (admittedly not great) ambient lighting and called it a day.

Like I said: never again.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-15, 02:35

So i've been busy lighting up the cave system under spawn. I think i have got it all, traveler beware...