User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Go RVing
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-29, 17:20

So my wife and I are getting ready to purchase our first RV*. While I have lots of questions, the big one I want to ask is if anyone has experience with Battle Born batteries? I don't want to use led acid, and am willing to pay the higher price for better batteries.

So, anyone use Battle Born batteries for anything?

Also, this thread will be for RV related questions/topics.

*This is the thing we are just about settled on.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Stand for something, or fall for anything!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-29, 19:25

Never used anything other than led acid batteries in an RV (standard and deep cycle), so cannot help with that. Never even heard of Battle Born batteries, must only be in the US. Our current RV (2008 Ford E450 based model) charges up several batteries with solar panels, and that runs all the 12vot stuff nicely, very nice to have for dry camping (no hookups).

We've had three RVs over the last 35 years or so, a van, and two class Cs motor-homes, one was home built (not by us), and the other was retail. Needless to say, if something can go wrong, it will on the first trip, and ever other trip too. On our 2008 the water lines burst on the first outing and so we had no running water for that trip. I think that was the worst thing, other than tire blow outs on the freeway. Luckily for us, it was always the rear dual sets.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-04-29, 22:56

Battle Born makes deep cycle lithium batteries. Expensive, but they come very highly recommended from every RV-er who has used them—at least as far as I can tell. They're pushing $1000 for a 100AH battery, compared to $150-ish for standard lead-acid and $250-ish for AGM. But they can be drawn down 100%, so you get the full 100AH, vs lead acid and AGM which cannot be discharged below 50% without damage, so you really only get 50AH.

My wife and I want to boon-dock, so we are looking for good batteries and solar panels that require as little maintenance as possible.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Stand for something, or fall for anything!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-04-29, 23:03

Can't help with specifics. Growing up my family had an RV, starting with a class C and later a class A.

Since remote work is becoming so common in my field, and 4G/LTE so fast, I've been very tempted to buy a <20' camper trailer and outfit it as a mobile workplace. Solar panels, a MIMO antenna with cellular router and some kind of desk jerry-rigged inside and I think I'd be quite happy.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-05-01, 09:28

I've always wanted to build an RV out of a sprinter van, and for the past month I've noticed a guy in the neighbourhood has been building one out of a white delivery van. He's got lightweight paneling and insulation up on the walls, and is custom building cabinetry for it. Every time I drive by he's a little further along. From what I can see it looks like he knows what he's doing, very neat.

Sprinters and Ford Transits are plentiful around here, but a good one isn't exactly cheap either.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-01, 09:48

One day I will own an RV. I've looked at doing it for a while and before my wife and I started having kids we actually looked at going full time RVing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-05-01, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
… started having kids …
Man, those things get in the way a lot, don't they?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-05-01, 14:45

Both my sister and I were out camping before we turned one, not going RVing because you have kids is just an excuse.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-05-01, 15:42

Same with us, and we took my daughter camping everywhere.
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member

2020-05-01, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Battle Born makes deep cycle lithium batteries. Expensive, but they come very highly recommended from every RV-er who has used them—at least as far as I can tell. They're pushing $1000 for a 100AH battery, compared to $150-ish for standard lead-acid and $250-ish for AGM. But they can be drawn down 100%, so you get the full 100AH, vs lead acid and AGM which cannot be discharged below 50% without damage, so you really only get 50AH.

My wife and I want to boon-dock, so we are looking for good batteries and solar panels that require as little maintenance as possible.
I do 6V Trojan Batteries in series.