Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Unplanned site outage, 2009-12-09

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Unplanned site outage, 2009-12-09
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-09, 22:08

Our server hit its memory ceiling and started hitting the swap badly earlier, leading to really slow page load times. I had to shut down the web site and database for a bit while I dialed down some settings.

Things look to be okay for now. I'll keep an eye on things and will be prepared to bring down the site if things start misbehaving again.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-09, 22:12

Oh, and if anyone is still trying to think of ways to spend that money we're making with the Amazon referral program, my very first choice would be to upgrade our server hosting plan to a level that has more RAM. I've been fighting almost constantly to keep under the memory ceiling since we moved here. Otherwise, our hosting plan is pretty good.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-12-09, 22:17

Glad to see we're back. Nice one Brad.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-12-09, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh, and if anyone is still trying to think of ways to spend that money we're making with the Amazon referral program, my very first choice would be to upgrade our server hosting plan to a level that has more RAM. I've been fighting almost constantly to keep under the memory ceiling since we moved here. Otherwise, our hosting plan is pretty good.
Sounds like the right thing to do.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-10, 00:35

Was out for a couple more hours while I was running some tests. I'll probably take the site down later this weekend for a few hours to run some upgrades I identified during the downtime.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-10, 11:46

Get more RAM. It's worth the $10/month. After I upped the RAM on my Linode, things got immensely better.