User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

What video games are you playing right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What video games are you playing right now?
Page 10 of 77 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  Next Last Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-03-29, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I picked up Wolf 3D yesterday, too. It works great on the iPod touch. They're definitely the first ones to do FPS the right way on that platform. I've only had time to play a couple levels, but I'm already pretty comfortable.
I got Wolf3D too. What a great game. Best game I've played so far on my iPhone. They did a great job on the controls.

Reasonable price too at $4.99.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-29, 16:57

I finally beat Bioshock last night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-29, 18:06

I'm starting on Stalker: Clear Sky. Good game so far - it's a first person shooter RPG, sort of like Fallout 3. Unlike Fallout 3, there are no skills or levels, but it still behaves more like an RPG than, say, BioShock (which is really more like an FPS that also features spells). It's open-ended, with a large world to explore, and you "level up" by acquiring better weapons. Honestly, the higher-end weapons are so much better than the low end ones that it's basically the same as being at a higher level in a typical RPG.

I have to go back to BioShock at some point.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-29, 18:13

Plasmids != Spells. :P
JohnnyTheA

2009-03-29, 19:12

BACK on Eve Online after they did their latest expansion. I can't seem to stop coming back to this game because the "concept" of Eve is such an awesome idea. Its a trader/pirate/business/stab-people-in-the-back kind of games with almost no rules.

I'm still playing but am still struggling with the bad user interface, bugs, etc...

Outside of this, you could say Eve is the best MMO game in its class because there are not any others like this..

JTA
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-30, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Plasmids != Spells. :P
Damn straight!

Man, I gotta go back to the world of Rapture soon. I read there's a way to turn off the Vita-Chambers now. That would give lives a little more meaning...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-02, 11:57

I got a chuckle out of this.

eBay

Notice three things:

1. The item being sold (MadWorld has been hyped as by far the most ultraviolent game ever for the Wii, and it only has three colors - black, white, and LOTS OF RED).
2. The reason for selling ("too violent for my kid")
3. The seller's name

I think his description was a bit of a joke given his name.

By the way, any Wii owners try MadWorld yet? Seems like the kind of game I'd like.
Wrao
Yarp

2009-04-02, 12:13

I have a hard time with Video Games these days. The whole concept just doesn't really appeal to me anymore. But, I do occasionally fire up Mario Kart and make that shit work.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-02, 12:37

Fired up Mercenaries 2: Playground of Destruction (PS2) again.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-04-02, 13:11

Is left 4 Dead any good on the 360?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-04-02, 13:28

I haven't gotten L4D yet, been thinking about renting it.

I've started Bioshock again, playing it on Hard this time, and not going to harvest any of the Little Sisters either. Couple big achievements if I can finish it on Hard, and rescue them all.

There's a 100G achievement for finishing it on Hard without using a Vita-Chamber, but damn... I'm not sure how anyone could get that. Playing it on Hard so far for me has been like Veteran on a COD game, you basically die your way through it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-04-05, 16:07

This afternoon I used DarwiinRemote and some emulators to revisit some of the classics on my MacBook using a Wii Remote and Classic Controller. I've spent most of the time playing Super Mario Brothers, Zelda: Link to the Past and Vectorman. I'm having so much fun with this.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-05, 17:41

Geneforge 5 - They've actually bothered to make a (minor) improvement to the graphics, and it's quite a bit of fun so far!
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-04-05, 18:28

Finally got Killzone 2...and Christ on a stick, I SUCK at it so far. I'm hoping that I get used to the "duck-and-cover" style FPS, but right now I'm absolutely horrid at it WRT accuracy, staying alive, keeping my buddy standing, etc.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-04-05, 18:58

I actually find Killzone kinda hard. I play it at "veteran" (I think... Anyway, the most difficult level you can choose on the first try). It only takes a few shots to get you in trouble. Like 4 bullets and you're almost dead. So you really need to be careful when moving. But still, it's one of the best shooter I've played in a while, I love it. I didn't even tried the online mode.

** I'm in the 5th or 6th mission...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-04-05, 19:04

Yeah, the last level on Killzone 2 on veteran is fucking hard. I can't even fathom what it's like on "elite" (difficulty setting unlocked after first playthrough).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-04-05, 19:47

Jeanne d'Arc. I really like this game. I started playing a while back then my PSP went into hibernation. It's super fun and should be good and cheap now if you're interested in picking it up.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2009-04-05, 23:05

Just WoW. My 360 has turned into a Netflix viewer.

For those that would care, I'm the healing lead in my guild so the new legendary healing mace should be in my hands by the end of the year.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-04-06, 05:53

I am currently playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 on my Mac. And i am very disappointed.

They have made the story line, tounge and cheek, therefore it is completely unblelievable and how is war fighting supposed to be funny?? Yes i know that probably all C&C games are unbelievable, but not in a slapstic, Austin Powers way....

They have really spoilt the brand. I mean i did enjoy C&C3, although in both games the missions are becoming shorter and less tactical. Now its just build some amount of this one type of unit and you'll be fine. Whereas in the good old days of Total Annihilation or C&C Red Alert, you would have to mass an army of a variety of units as well as base defenses. Plus these were usually huge battles requiring you to build unit as you were fighting to keep up.

What i would give to play TA on my Mac now......
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-06, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I am currently playing Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 on my Mac. And i am very disappointed.

They have made the story line, tounge and cheek, therefore it is completely unblelievable and how is war fighting supposed to be funny?? Yes i know that probably all C&C games are unbelievable, but not in a slapstic, Austin Powers way....

They have really spoilt the brand. I mean i did enjoy C&C3, although in both games the missions are becoming shorter and less tactical. Now its just build some amount of this one type of unit and you'll be fine. Whereas in the good old days of Total Annihilation or C&C Red Alert, you would have to mass an army of a variety of units as well as base defenses. Plus these were usually huge battles requiring you to build unit as you were fighting to keep up.

The C&C series has been an RTS-Lite for a while now. At least since Generals. Zero Hour brought back those hilariously cheesy FMV cutscenes, and I think since then they've gotten more and more tongue-in-cheek. That's the whole point! I think EA have learned that people actually quite like camp appeal.

I haven't played RA3 though, so I can't say how well it works. I'm sure at some point there's going to be too much cheese, but I'd rather they make it intentionally funny rather than trying to play it straight.

EDIT: Doesn't RA3 also have a bunch of hot chicks in extra-tight military uniforms too? Come on. You have to give them some credit!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-06, 10:13

Quote:
Me too, many fond memories of Total Annihilation.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-06, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Quote:
Me too, many fond memories of Total Annihilation.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. It'd probably work under Parallels (or you could just use Boot Camp). The game itself is very cheap. It's not on Good Old Games but you can get it from Amazon or eBay for around $10 shipped.

If you've got the hardware, I've heard Supreme Commander is a spiritual successor to TA, though I've heard mixed reviews of it. Some like it, others hate it.

EDIT: BTW, I finished STALKER: Clear Sky. Disappointing ending. Biggest problem, though, was a point of no return that snuck up on me. I didn't realize that I couldn't go back until WAY after I had lost my saved game. So upon entering the endgame area, I had very little money but tons of weapons stockpiled that I was going to sell. And the ensuing battles damaged my weapons and armor to the point where I couldn't afford to repair them. Thus making the final battle next to impossible. I had to do a god mode cheat to finish it. And of course I was given a huge amount of awesome weapons and stuff near the end that I couldn't use.

I'm thinking of replaying it at the highest difficulty setting but modding it so I can get all my weapons and gear back that I had when I first finished the game. Then I can see how the game plays when I have awesome gear vs. scrounging for crummy stuff. It's just so annoying how many RPGs force you to scrounge throughout the game, trying to find good equipment, and when you finally do, you can't use it because the game is over. Bah. I'm just glad I can mod it however I like.

I also have to go back and finish playing Shadow of Chernobyl (the first game in the series) because I never finished it. After Clear Sky, SOC seems primitive by comparison - my newly upgraded video card can't even run Clear Sky maxed out but it can easily do SOC.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-04-06, 10:46

mmm, just finished pikmin (fun, short, but i will get pikmin 2 when it comes out, and pikmin wii when it arrives)

starting MetalGearSolid4...gah i suck at this game so far...might have to try with the auto lock feature as i can't shoot worth shit...

but it is beautiful and the sound is amazing...just not sure i am a dual analog stick kinda guy...

the wii remote has spoiled me as to how a gun should be fired...

as for the game...the suit is great, the geckos are amazing...the game has tons of cut scenes...i'm ok with that, but if you want to be in control all the time, well this isn't that kinda game...

i will keep up trying and likely finish it, but i am admittedly not great with games with too many button options...hit this to sneak, hit this then that to sneak and grab, hit this then that then do this to sneak and grab and cut, do this and then that and then do this and then double hit this to sneak and grab and cut and then jerk off....

gah, too much...

but then i'm old

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-06, 13:03

The controls have been terrible in all the MGS games, IMO. It's what killed the series for me. They really are needlessly complicated.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-04-06, 13:45

I thought the controls in MGS4 were fine. Had no problems with them whatsoever.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-04-06, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
The C&C series has been an RTS-Lite for a while now. At least since Generals. Zero Hour brought back those hilariously cheesy FMV cutscenes, and I think since then they've gotten more and more tongue-in-cheek. That's the whole point! I think EA have learned that people actually quite like camp appeal.

I haven't played RA3 though, so I can't say how well it works. I'm sure at some point there's going to be too much cheese, but I'd rather they make it intentionally funny rather than trying to play it straight.

EDIT: Doesn't RA3 also have a bunch of hot chicks in extra-tight military uniforms too? Come on. You have to give them some credit!
I cannot believe that people like the camp appeal??!!

I mean the story just sucks. It would be like re-writing the 24 script in cheesy camp style. Very odd.

Although hot chicks in military uniforms is clearly never a bad thing but it does add to the whole cheap crap feel of the game. Like a B movie.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2009-04-12, 07:40

If you liked the original, you'll like Return to Dark Castle

Just bought it this afternoon ^^
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-04-12, 15:37

Finished Alone in the Dark the other night. Not too bad. Got my third platinum trophy out of it. Got started on Killzone 2, but haven't gotten far yet.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-04-12, 20:37

Started Fallout 3 for the second run through yesterday. It's a lot easier to play completely evil, stealing and killing whenever I need something. Great game.

Goozex is sending Resident Evil 5 and Top Spin 3 this week, so that's kind of exciting.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-04-12, 22:08

Got COD:WAW today. I'd rented it in February, beat the campaign on Regular ans got halfway through on Hardened. Working on Hardened now, made really good progress today.