Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Amusing Things I Have Learned from Wikipedia

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Amusing Things I Have Learned from Wikipedia
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-19, 08:57

You know how it goes...looking something up on Wikipedia, and you find something totally unexpected and amusing. This story involves some roundabout logic, but here goes. Many of you know I recently got Droided. On another (private) forum that I frequent, I was making a joke, that went "Don't avoid the Droid", making a nod to that cheesy 80's Domino's advertising campaign ("avoid the noid"). For nostalgia sake, I looked up "noid" on Wikipedia, and found out this really interesting tidbit (especially since I'm now living in Atlanta):

Quote:
In 1989, Kenneth Lamar Noid, a mentally ill customer who thought the ads were a personal attack on him, held two employees of an Atlanta, Georgia Domino's restaurant hostage for over five hours. After forcing them to make him a pizza and making demands for $100,000, getaway transportation, and a copy of The Widow's Son, Noid surrendered to the police.[2] Noid was charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault, extortion, and possession of a firearm during a crime. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity.
Feel free to post yours, I'm sure there are tons of these among you guys and gals.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-12-19, 09:20

I like the story of how britpop group The Kooks got together:

Quote:
he inspiration to form a band came to Pritchard as he and Garred were out shopping for clothes one day. Speaking to MTV Garred said, “we had this vision on how we wanted the band to look and stuff—so we bought some clothes and these hats”. Sharing a love of The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Police, and David Bowie Pritchard got Harris and Rafferty involved under the guise of a school music project. Pritchard himself said "We got together just on a whim, really”. With no demo of their material Garred and Pritchard went in search of a gig, and according to Garred, they were able to book their first show simply because the manager liked their hats. “So we went in to get a gig, we don't have a demo, and this guy told us, 'Well, you can't get a gig if you don't have a demo, but I like your hats, so I'm going to give you a gig,'” said Garred. However the band was unable to make the performance as they were making their demo at the time.