Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Buy a Mac Get a iPod Nano Free deal ends 9/16

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buy a Mac Get a iPod Nano Free deal ends 9/16
AlexRADL

Send a message via AIM to AlexRADL  
2007-09-01, 16:52

I saw this deal on apple. If you are a college student and buy a mac you get a free iPod nano. This is a pretty cool deal, but under the deal it said "Hurry-Offer ends 9/16." The new iPod's are rumored to be announced on September 5th so I was thinking why would they have this deal last until the 16th.

Maybe this is a hint that the iPod's will not be released until a later date after the keynote, like they did with the iPhone announcement. Or maybe that event will not be going on at all. This is just me thinking, I may be way off, and i probably am, but what ever.

What do you guys think?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-09-01, 17:01

No. They will either
A. Honor it with the new iPods
B. End it early
C. Make it only apply to previous models.

Terms and promotion can change or end at any time.
Anthem

2007-09-01, 18:56

I'm waiting on my new iMac, regardless.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-02, 01:41

I'm a little scared that they'll end it early, but I think if they were planning on ending it early they would have already adjusted their advertising to reflect that.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2007-09-02, 01:57

What do you mean?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-02, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
What do you mean?
Erm...if they were planning on ending the promotion on the 5th, I don't think all their promo images would read "Hurry - Offer Ends 9/16." Just a thought.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2007-09-02, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Erm...if they were planning on ending the promotion on the 5th, I don't think all their promo images would read "Hurry - Offer Ends 9/16." Just a thought.
Since when has Apple done anything to suggest the possibility of products being replaced like that?

They run the promo every year. They usually just end it early or since the small print does list model numbers, they just make it apply to the existing models and not the new ones.

I wouldn't expect Apple to all of a sudden back off advertising. If anything they are trying to clear as much out of the channel by advertising more.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-02, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
No. They will either
A. Honor it with the new iPods
B. End it early
C. Make it only apply to previous models.

Terms and promotion can change or end at any time.
It's just a cash rebate when you buy an iPod and Mac at the same time, so it'll easily apply to any new iPod, I think.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2007-09-02, 03:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It's just a cash rebate when you buy an iPod and Mac at the same time, so it'll easily apply to any new iPod, I think.
Possibly. If the new iPods are just upgrades of previous designs and don't bring much new to the table I could see it still applying. If they are a bit more aggressive and it seems like margins might be smaller I would imagine that they would not apply.
billysea

2007-09-02, 07:26

The deal is on $200 off any iPod (which would be free if you get the Nano), and not your straight-forward "free". So I don't see why they won't grant you $200 off new model of iPod.
AlexRADL

Send a message via AIM to AlexRADL  
2007-09-02, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysea View Post
The deal is on $200 off any iPod (which would be free if you get the Nano), and not your straight-forward "free". So I don't see why they won't grant you $200 off new model of iPod.
Oh, ok that makes a lot more sense. I should have read into it more.
fiddler

2007-09-02, 12:08

Hmm. I got the Mac+iPod education deal with my Macbook, which I bought just a couple days ago. I was thinking of asking to get my silver nano exchanged for a red one anyway, but now that a new nano might come out on the 5th, maybe I should wait till then. My receipt says the return date is Sept 12.

Will I have any trouble exchanging for a red one? And if it is updated on the 5th, will they exchange it for the new model? I still haven't opened the box because I was thinking of selling it (and red sells for more on eBay, for some reason).
zman1117

2007-09-02, 12:40

Like Brave Ulysses said.
A) they will honor it
B) end it early
C) make it only apply to the previous models

Now, I don't think B will happen, so it's either A or C. I looked through the rebate forms, and it lists the specific part numbers. It also adds in capital letters that it must be those part numbers to be eligible, but at the end it says that if the part numbers have a "p" included (meaning they are derivatives of those products) then they are also eligible. None of the ones on the list have a "p". This makes me think that the "p" might be referring to the rumored updated ipods. So I'm leaning towards A for this.

Fiddler, if A is true, you can just go to an apple store and swap it out.
Oompa

2007-09-04, 21:27

Actually the deal is already limited to the current iPods, Apple may feel nice and update it though. Just check here: http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html#fancy
emptyreality

2007-09-04, 23:58

All they would have to do is not name any of the new models "iPod Nano". (Maybe bring back the mini?)
Oompa

2007-09-05, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyreality View Post
All they would have to do is not name any of the new models "iPod Nano". (Maybe bring back the mini?)
Or not give them the same part number...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-09-05, 00:14

That sounds more plausible.

Apple will just change the part numbers and tie the Back To School promotion to the older models.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 01:44

But unless they have a large stock of old models in store, they will be pissing off alot of people the next a week and a half left in the deal..

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-09-05, 02:58

Or it could be that the Mac Pros will be updated on 9/15, which would be great for me since I'm waiting for the next refresh/price drop to upgrade.
fiddler

2007-09-05, 14:46

This puts this issue to rest:
http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

Quote:
Please be advised that Apple announced new iPods on September 5, 2007. These new iPods are not eligible for the Back to School promotion. Rebate claims submitted in conjunction with these products will not be honored.
I'll be busting open my un-fat nano today I guess.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-05, 17:38

I was planning on giving the free iPod away, anyway.

I'm eyeing the iPhone for myself.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
iPod Nano Anorexicâ„¢
Anthem

2007-09-05, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
This puts this issue to rest:
http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

Yeah, I'm hurting. I shouldn't have waited.

Because the price of the 4GB Nano went down to $149, that's the new rebate amount. So to get the promo (I'd wanted to get a regular iPod) I spend $50 more to get an iPod that's worth less.

Ahh well.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-05, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Yeah, I'm hurting. I shouldn't have waited.

Because the price of the 4GB Nano went down to $149, that's the new rebate amount. So to get the promo (I'd wanted to get a regular iPod) I spend $50 more to get an iPod that's worth less.

Ahh well.
They didn't drop the price of the 30GB iPod as well? That's bull.
Anthem

2007-09-05, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
They didn't drop the price of the 30GB iPod as well? That's bull.
If that's the deal, then I'm fine. But I can't order it on the store. I tried ordering by part number, but it won't add to my cart.

Wild.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-05, 23:23

I need to make my order by phone (for the Adobe deal). Which kinda sucks, because I'd love to get a 5.5G iPod engraved with "the last white iPod."

It's, like, the end of an era.