Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Bluetooth Keyboard Battery Life?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bluetooth Keyboard Battery Life?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-17, 15:03

I'm considering buying the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I use an iMac at work, and its keyboard is just annoying me. The keys always seem to jam a little bit, and it's curved way too much for my tastes. Typing on my MBP, on the other hand, is pure joy.

What I want to avoid, though, is having to put in (and throw away) batteries every week. So I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea what kind of battery life to expect. I would use it basically every day for 8-10 hours, and I am pretty good about turning stuff off, so it would not be on when not needed.

Does anybody here have such a keyboard, and how often do you have to replace the batteries?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-10-17, 15:24

I have no idea about this, but couldn't you just buy rechargeable batteries?

When they lose a charge, plug them in overnight and they'll be good to go again.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Gizzer

2007-10-17, 16:52

I have both the new wired Apple keyboard, and the new Bluetooth one. I'm still on my first set of batteries on the Bluetooth keyboard so I can't advise on it's life. But if you are annoyed by your old Mac keyboard, just buy the new Alu full sized Mac keyboard. It feels just the same as the new Bluetooth one, and you have a 2 port USB2 hub. And no battery replacement!

They have officially replaced my Powerbook G4 as my all-time favourite keyboard! I can now truly touch-type where I was never able to before And my typing speed is even faster than on my Powerbook.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-10-17, 16:59

I've got the old Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and the batteries serious last about 6 months. I've had the computer over a year and only changed the batteries twice and according to iStat I've got 85% power left in this set. I would imagine the new version of the keyboard is similar if not better.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
iMac430

2007-10-17, 21:31

My girlfriend gave me the previous Apple wireless keyboard (prior to the new thin one) two days before this past Christmas. From December 23, 2006 until Oct. 17, 2007, my Apple wireless keyboard still has 3 out of 5 bars of power left (in System Preferences - keyboard).... they are the stock batteries that come with the keyboard. I turn the keyboard on when I get up and turn it off when I go to bed at night.

The battery life is fantastic, so the new keyboard should be even better.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-17, 22:14

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll get one then. The wireless is useful because I like sitting back in my chair with the keyboard on my knees. The extension cable is a bit too short for that, and this also doesn't work too well with the mouse plugged into the keyboard. I have a wireless mighty mouse though (mostly as a remote for presentations), so I can go all wireless

I don't want to use rechargeable batteries if I can avoid them, because I already have too much crap that needs to be charged all the time. If I can get six months of use out of those batteries, that would be excellent.
cozmo

Send a message via AIM to cozmo  
2007-10-19, 13:56

Do you guys/girls think the new Alu wireless keyboard would look too bad with the white C2D iMac Intel? I would like to buy a wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, and I was just wondering.

Last edited by cozmo : 2007-10-19 at 13:56. Reason: typo
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-19, 14:26

I'm also going to use it with a plastic iMac, and I'm not too worried The mouse is still white plastic anyway.
cozmo

Send a message via AIM to cozmo  
2007-10-19, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I'm also going to use it with a plastic iMac, and I'm not too worried The mouse is still white plastic anyway.
Good Point. Thanks.