User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Refurb current-generation iMac question (what OS and iLife?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurb current-generation iMac question (what OS and iLife?)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-24, 12:15

My sister ordered her first Mac last week and got the $999 current-generation entry-level 21.5" iMac (2.5GHz quad-core i5, 4GB RAM, etc.). Great machine (it's the one I'll be upgrading to as well).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A#overview

I assumed that it would come with Lion and iLife '11 onboard, but looking at the above link that isn't made clear. However, it is using the newer "blue galaxy" desktop (as opposed to the purple/pink desktop) shown in the refurb section for the various generations of models.

I'd really like for this to have Lion on it (as an OS update isn't something I'd planned on allowing for).

The thing that's making me doubt is that the machine was originally released in May 2011. OS X Lion didn't become available until July 20, 2011. But what do they base that on, I wonder (what OS ships with these refurb systems, if they were initially released prior to the latest OS release)? I ask because the "small print" at Apple's site says:

Quote:
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system.

I guess if this particular machine was originally sold after July 20 it'll have Lion? They're showing that blue galaxy desktop, which, to me, says "Lion".

NOTE: I just realized iLife '11 came out in October 2010, so it'll definitely be included...

Just confused on the OS X part...the pic/desktop makes me think Lion, the quote above makes me wonder if it'll just have Snow Leopard?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-24, 20:16

As it shows blue galaxy desktop from Lion it would be wrong to ship it with Snow Leopard!

Silly question is there no way to find out, phone etc??.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-24, 21:27

I wound up calling Apple this afternoon. I talked to a real nice, helpful person (Jenny). She said it should be Lion (typically, 99% of the time, their refurb stuff WILL go out with the current OS and iLife suite pre-installed). But she gave me her direct number and e-mail and if we see that Snow Leopard is on the machine instead, I'm to call her and she's going to give us a download promo code for Lion to get my sister on Lion for free.

Yay, Apple.

Like me, she believes that since it's the current-generation model, it'll ship with Lion. It's been "long enough", she said...

But I've got a backup/workaround, just in case.

She was totally cool and friendly (and funny).

I've never had a bad phone call with Apple, all these years. Always so helpful...
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-25, 05:26

Nice one Paul.