AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Black screen on my iPad Pro (10.5")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Black screen on my iPad Pro (10.5")
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-25, 16:46

So I did some searching about this and the options seem pretty varied. Wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this. My iPad Pro is stuck with a black screen. I can see the backlight turn on when I press the home button, I hear the lock sound and can unlock it. Heck, I can even take normal screen captures and they show up in iCloud Photos. Before I go nuking this thing I figured I'd see what others have encountered.

iOS 14 beta 3
I do have an iCloud backup but not a local machine one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-25, 17:47

Well... I think it is dead.

I went ahead and held down the power and home button "until I see the logo" but never did. I did see the backlight change a few times and the iPad show up in Finder as being in DFU.

So I told it to restore and I watched the backlight go on and off a few times. When I go to turn it on after letting it do it's thing I still end up with a black screen but the backlight on. Now I can't even get anything from it because it won't be activated.

Buy a new iPad or repair this one?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-26, 10:37

Just got done chatting with Apple Support. They condemned my iPad as I expected they would. They want me to pay $450 to have it "repaired".

I just can't bring myself to do that. When do iPads normally get released? October right? I think I can wait until then to buy the new model.

Maybe.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-07-26, 12:53

Well poop. Sorry yours crapped out.

Not sure the release cycle but it's out there.

What do you use yours for, mostly?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-26, 17:10

Pretty much everything I used to use my laptop for. Weather, picture management, games, network management, email, web etc....

I docked my MBP so now I don't unplug it much and use my iPad for everything away from the desk.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-19, 12:23

I just ordered a iPad Pro 12.9" (64GB, Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Space Gray, Previous Gen) from B&H deal zone for $670. I added the new Pencil too.

While I was hoping for a current generation, it is a pretty big step up from my now dead 10.5". I also need to figure out what to do with my old keyboard cover for the 10.5" since it is relatively new.