AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari not allowing bookmark saving

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari not allowing bookmark saving
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 09:18

I've killed and restart Safari. Rebooted the computer. Nothing seems to work.

macOS 12.6 and Safari 15

If I had to guess, it is an issue with iOS cloud sync and Monterey that will be resolved with macOS 13. But that is just a guess. anyone else have trouble bookmarking sites?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 09:37

BTW, if I'm on my iPad I can still save bookmarks and create bookmark folders. I haven't tried on my phone yet, but will now that I realizes it is on a different version of Safari from the iPad.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 09:42

So my phone and iPad are in sync but the MBP isn't. I have to believe it is an incompatibility of Monterey with the backend of iCloud for syncing.

Am I the only one with this issue?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-03, 10:41

Go to iCloud settings and turn off Safari syncing, then turn it back on. See what happens.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 10:49

I did that and it popped this up. I approved and it said "Setting up...".

Thanks to your comment I just noticed the cloud icon (Show iCloud Tabs) in my browser is greyed out and not selectable.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 12:09

The iCloud Tabs is now selectable (and functions) but the bookmarks still don't sync. I've made changes on the MBP different from changes in the iOS/iPadOS devices. This sync fine with changes to either but the MBP is still out in the cold.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-03, 12:30

Gotta love the weird.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 12:36

Yeah. Most of the time I ask for help here it is beyond others on the forum. I figured maybe I'm not the only one though.

I know there is an iCloud connection for Safari because the cloud tabs do update and work as expected. Bookmarks just give me the middle finger, while laughing.

I could conceivably export the bookmarks (at least I assume I can), then delete them completely and then see if they sync.

Maybe I just do a clean install of macOS 13 instead and see how that does. So many custom configurations on this machine though. Tweaks, terminal things with homebrew, Xcode CLI, etc...

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-03, 12:41

Unfortunately, while there’s some logging, iCloud tends to leave very little in terms of actionable information. You can log out of iCloud and back in, but that’s rather scary to do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 13:25

Maybe I'll try to disable iCloud Safari, reboot, enable iCloud Safari sync again and then reboot one more time for giggles.

I don't think logging out of iCloud would do it given I do have iCloud Tabs working. There is a connection still. Like, I just opened a new tab on my iPad and it is listed with the iCloud tabs on the MBP.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 14:12

How can I export my phone/iPad bookmarks without a third party app or is that the only way?

Is there a good and trusted third party app to do so?

The macOS export is as easy as I expected. All the guides for the iOS/iPadOS are involving iCloud sync and then export from the Mac/PC.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 14:39

OK, it is only my MBP that is having problems. I just realized I have another Mac running 24/7 that is on my iCloud account. I checked Safari on it and the bookmarks are up-to-date. So my MBP is flipping me off.

At least I figured out how I can backup my phone/iPad bookmarks without a third party software. Now I'm going to run a diff on the two exports and clean it up. By the time I'm done I'll have purged a bunch of junk AND have them in sync, one way or another!

Still not exactly sure how I'm going to get the MBP to sync and stay synced though. I can overwrite the initial bookmarks with what is in iCloud for the start though.

¡Damned!

2022-10-03, 14:58

I was going to suggest turning off iCloud bookmarks in System Prefs and restarting, but I see you just tried that. Hmm...

Maybe after restarting but before turning iCloud Safari back on, add a few new temporary bookmarks on the iPad. Just to see if that jumpstarts some syncing on the MBP.

Strange problem.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-03, 15:17

Hey, 709, isn't there that fancy iCloud service you found that you were able to quit and restart? In Activity Monitor or something?
¡Damned!

2022-10-03, 15:42

Ya, the 'cloudd' process back when T wanted to restart iCloud drive completely. Why iCloud has this continuing grudge against turtle is a mystery.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 15:49

What is the fix permission thing to run on my ~/Library. Maybe it is an ownership issue.

Believe it or not, I did try to kill the "cloudd" process already. Did that before I rebooted last time.

I'm going to try your suggestion on the reboot/enable steps, 709. Maybe it will do it.

I found /Users/turtle/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist and am likely to try deleting it without iCloud sync enabled and see how it responds once I enable it again.

At this very moment I'm working through the bookmarks to make sure I have the ones I really want. My MBP is most accurate but I do have some on my mobile devices that I want too. So I don't want to nuke one or the other. I have them backed up now so it won't be a huge loss either way. Just trying to minimize lost time on this.

And yes, this MBP and iCloud really have a grudge against me for some reason. Maybe I REALLY do need to do a clean wipe.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-03, 18:16

This is crazy. I have nothing to offer, but jeez oh pete!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 18:17

Yeah, I'm on to something here. My MBP:
Code:
Quicksilver:Desktop turtle$ ls -lah /Users/turtle/Library/Safari total 0 ls: /Users/turtle/Library/Safari: Operation not permitted
RackMini:
Code:
RackMini:Movies turtle$ ls -lah /Users/turtle/Library/Safari total 74384 drwxr-xr-x@ 38 turtle staff 1.2K Oct 3 15:46 . drwx------@ 84 turtle staff 2.6K Apr 5 11:52 .. -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 48K Feb 26 2022 AutoFillCorrections.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Sep 23 19:12 AutoFillCorrections.db-shm -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Feb 26 2022 AutoFillCorrections.db-wal -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 167B Feb 26 2022 AutomaticBookmarksBackup.html -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 12K Feb 26 2022 BlockedBannerHighlights.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Feb 26 2022 BlockedBannerHighlights.db-wal -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 5.5M Oct 3 15:46 Bookmarks.plist -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 12M Feb 28 2022 CloudAutoFillCorrections.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Sep 23 19:13 CloudAutoFillCorrections.db-shm -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Feb 28 2022 CloudAutoFillCorrections.db-wal drwxr-xr-x@ 3 turtle staff 96B Feb 26 2022 CloudBookmarksMigrationCoordinator -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 1.0K Oct 2 20:18 CloudHistoryRemoteConfiguration.plist -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 236K Mar 11 2022 CloudTabs.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Mar 15 2022 CloudTabs.db-shm -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Mar 11 2022 CloudTabs.db-wal -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Feb 26 2022 ContentBlockerStatistics.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Feb 26 2022 ContentBlockerStatistics.db-wal drwxr-xr-x@ 3 turtle staff 96B Feb 26 2022 Databases -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 65B Aug 31 16:59 Downloads.plist drwxr-xr-x@ 7 turtle staff 224B Feb 26 2022 Favicon Cache -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 17M Oct 3 15:43 History.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 0B Feb 26 2022 History.db-lock -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Sep 23 19:12 History.db-shm -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 845K Oct 3 18:58 History.db-wal drwxr-xr-x@ 2 turtle staff 64B Sep 23 19:12 LocalStorage -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 7.6K Sep 30 19:02 PasswordBreachStore.plist -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 24K Aug 15 22:41 PerSitePreferences.db -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Sep 23 19:12 PerSitePreferences.db-shm -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 137K Oct 1 21:50 PerSitePreferences.db-wal drwxr-xr-x@ 7 turtle staff 224B Feb 26 2022 ReadingListArchives -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 32K Oct 3 15:41 RecentlyClosedTabs.plist -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 637B Sep 6 20:49 SearchDescriptions.plist -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 2.5K Apr 20 09:23 SitesAllowedToAutoplay.plist drwxr-xr-x@ 12 turtle staff 384B Oct 3 15:47 Template Icons -rw-r--r--@ 1 turtle staff 858B Feb 26 2022 TopSites.plist drwxr-xr-x@ 6 turtle staff 192B Feb 26 2022 Touch Icons Cache RackMini:Movies turtle$
So when I check on the MBP:
Code:
ls -lah /Users/turtle/Library/ ... drwxr-xr-x@ 49 turtle staff 1.5K Oct 3 16:57 Safari ... Quicksilver:Desktop turtle$ sudo ls -lah /Users/turtle/Library/Safari total 0 ls: /Users/turtle/Library/Safari: Operation not permitted
As a comparison from RackMini:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x@ 38 turtle staff 1.2K Oct 3 15:46 Safari
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 18:27

Code:
Quicksilver:Desktop turtle$ sudo find /Users/turtle/Library -type f -mtime ++90w > Library.txt find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/MobileSync: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryTransactions: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs/session/db: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/Knowledge: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/FileProvider: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/com.apple.avfoundation/Frecents: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryDB: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Assistant/SiriVocabulary: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Autosave Information: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/IdentityServices: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Messages: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/HomeKit: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Sharing: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Mail: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/DuetExpertCenter: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Accounts: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Safari: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Biome: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Shortcuts: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Suggestions: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.secure-control-center-preferences: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.VoiceMemos: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.archiveutility: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.Home: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.CloudDocs.MobileDocumentsFileProvider: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.news: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.corerecents.recentsd/Data/Library/Recents: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Containers/com.apple.stocks: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/PersonalizationPortrait: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Metadata/CoreSpotlight: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Metadata/com.apple.IntelligentSuggestions: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Cookies: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/CoreFollowUp: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/StatusKit: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.HomeKit: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.HomeKit.configurations: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/CloudKit: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.findmy.imagecache: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.findmy: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.findmy.fmfcore: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/FamilyCircle: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.homed: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.findmy.fmipcore: Operation not permitted find: /Users/turtle/Library/Caches/com.apple.ap.adprivacyd: Operation not permitted
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-03, 23:53

You probably want to give Terminal Full Disk Access. (Buyer beware, though.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-04, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You probably want to give Terminal Full Disk Access. (Buyer beware, though.)
This was it. I thought I had enabled it on this machine already so I didn't think to check it again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-11, 16:51

I've started the painful process of moving to a new account on my MBP. So much customization I'm having to redo. Not everything thankfully, but so many things.

My mail settings are hosed too. I assumed it would sync over those changes, nope. Mail only has a much older set of accounts configured. So clearly my main account on here has had iCloud issues for a long time.

I do use my NAS a lot so this is helping with my file migrations but still. So many little things.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-12, 10:27

Well this is interesting....

Last night I started building my new account on the MBP. I signed it into my iCloud account on that new account. Today I'm still working from my original account and now everything is syncing.

I did not log out of my old account just switched users. So something is keeping iCloud running right now.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-12, 15:24

Have you checked that light switch in the basement that doesn't seem to connect to anything???

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-13, 08:15

I have! I keep switching it like it will FINALLY do something and nothing.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I actually have a ton of those in my house. The builder didn't want two gang boxes so there are three gang everywhere. Most of them have a switch that does nothing. I even took the plate off to check, no wires to the middle at all.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-13, 14:08

Not fixed. I just had to restart "cloudd" to get my iCloud Drive to sync. Guess I'm gonna make the move no matter what now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-24, 15:52

You know, I have moved to a new account on my MBP and I'm still having to restart (Force kill and let it restart on its own actually) "cloudd" to get my crap to sync properly.

I'm annoyed by this, but at least I know it is the problem now when I look at Finder and the "iCloud Drive" has the grey progress pie chart showing "progress". Of course, it just sits that and doesn't progress. Maybe one day I'll dig through logs and see if I can figure it out.

Given the MBP is a 2016 and stuck on Monterey I'm not expecting much progress for real on it. At least it still works and isn't warped again yet.