AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Library Bindings...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Library Bindings...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-07, 05:49

I am doing some work with a 3D engine, and a Terrain library that sits on top of it and uses it's functionality...

The 3D engine can load models into itself and is either used from Frameworks, or from libaries in usr/local. I have a version in both.

The Terrain library is the same. Frameworks and also libraries in usr/local

When I try to load a model using function calls which are part of the Terrain library all it does is call the same funtion in the 3D engine.

In order to load the 3D models it uses Plugins.
These are either in an Application Support/3DEngine/Plugins folder or in /usr/local/lib/plugins. The latter is pointed to specifically by me using DYLD_LIBRARY.

If I try to load a model using the 3D Engine it works.

If I try to load the same model using the Terrain library which sits on top of the 3D Engine and uses it's very own load model function call which just worked I get an error message from the underlying 3D Engine telling me it can't find the plugin to load that model!

In both cases the 3d Engine code looks at the extension of the filename (.lwo) and tries to do a dynamic library load for it...

This load model code is in the same single file Xcode project with all the dependancies also referenced as Frameworks...

Anyone any ideas how something that strange can happen?

I know it's something to do with libraries and referencing them but cannot for the life of me figure out why!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-11-09, 05:38

scratt, I'd have a crack at this one, I really would, but I don't have the faintest whiff of an idea about this topic. Sorry.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-09, 05:47

He He! Thanks. I actually sussed this one just now...

I was setting up the library paths myself, but if I just tell the app to bind the libraries dynamically at launch (DYLD_BIND_AT_LAUNCH=1) it works fine!

It still loads the same damn library I was pointing to with my export DYLD blah blah command but tries a lot of other ones first..

Now if any one can explain that I'd love to know!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt