User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

So will 10.5 include Windows support, or not?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So will 10.5 include Windows support, or not?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-28, 21:58

Apparently Apple has joined BAPCO as a member..

Quote:
This is significant because it means that Apple has now committed to Windows-based performance testing, and it will influence industry-standard testing methodologies going forward, possibly including Mac OS X testing. We speculate that Apple will now develop Windows drivers for Intel Macs like the iMac, Mac mini and MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo processors.
linky

Reactions? Thoughts?

With Vista slipping (and expected to slip more by this author) this could really be quite a stunning industry turn around for Apple in Q4 / Q1..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

TednDi

2006-03-28, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Apparently Apple has joined BAPCO as a member..

linky

Reactions? Thoughts?

With Vista slipping (and expected to slip more by this author) this could really be quite a stunning industry turn around for Apple in Q4 / Q1..

Bring it on!!

<does the Balmer monkey dance!>

Aesahaettr
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-28, 23:04

Some people don't believe that it will run Windows programs natively, but I think it would be the greatest thing Apple could do to get a bigger market share. Most people I know don't use Macs only because most apps are for Windows only. Macs would have the upper hand, having no compatability issues, and also being the best computers and operating systems available in my opinion.

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-03-28, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesahaettr
Some people don't believe that it will run Windows programs natively, but I think it would be the greatest thing Apple could do to get a bigger market share. Most people I know don't use Macs only because most apps are for Windows only. Macs would have the upper hand, having no compatability issues, and also being the best computers and operating systems available in my opinion.
One word: OS/2

That CRUSHES a platform. If Apple wants to with with a Strategy like that, release Cocoa for Windows. Not the other way around.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-28, 23:23

What is that? I'm new to programming. What is OS/2 and what does Cocoa do?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-28, 23:37

Quote:
OS/2 was an operating system created by IBM in the late 1980s for x86 computers. Key word: was. Look it up in Google or Wikipedia for details.

Cocoa is a programming API for Mac OS X. When it existed in NeXT before Mac OS X, there was a "Yellow box" environment that allowed those apps to run on Windows as well. Again, use Google or Wikipedia to get details.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Mac Donald

2006-03-28, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
One word: OS/2

That CRUSHES a platform. If Apple wants to with with a Strategy like that, release Cocoa for Windows. Not the other way around.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Well said.

Mac Donald

2006-03-28, 23:55

Quote:
[edited upon reflection]

Further, Apple is not going to and is not interested in having any more than 10 percent (at most) of the PC OS market. Not interested. Let MS make the crappy OS for the people who know nothing.

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.

Last edited by Mac Donald : 2006-03-29 at 00:04.

AlexN

2006-03-29, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
OS/2 was an operating system created by IBM in the late 1980s for x86 computers.
Actually, OS/2 was designed by IBM, but Microsoft did the coding.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 00:02

The problem with OS/2 was that it could run Win 3.1 programs, so there was very little incentive to write software specifically for it. And that was despite the fact that it was so much more stable and better in every respect than Windows (memory protection! preemptive multitasking!). Many banks for example used OS/2 because of its stability. But once Windows 95 came out, the compatibility advantage was also gone, and by then OS/2 still had no software scene of its own. And despite IBM's efforts (not exactly their best efforts, but they did try a little bit), the OS faded into obscurity and was eventually dropped completely.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
...and by then OS/2 still had no software scene of its own.
This is a critical point in any discussion of including a Windows support layer in Mac OS X. The ability to run Windows software out of the box could utterly destroy incentive for developers to make native ports. Seriously, why bother investing anything if your Windows version works fine?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Oskar

2006-03-29, 00:06

Let's not say "Remember OS/2" in a misty voice and wave our hand in lieu of an explanation. What does OS/2 have to do with Apple? Apple sells hardware, to name one obvious difference. Secondly, its hardware isn't the main reason people buy it: the software is. PCs don't have iLife, Final Cut Pro, or a good operating system.

It will take more than one-liners to explain why Apple would go the way of OS/2 if it allowed fast OS-switching.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 00:28

Note to all: I've deleted any potentially harmful posts here.

ZachPruckowski

2006-03-29, 00:34

What if the programs ran at a speed hit? Like 20% or something? Or required Windows? Like if it was virtualization, but you needed to install Windows and run it, or just provide dual-boot support. That way, there's an incentive to buy a Mac version over a Windows version, but $random_freeware will run on Macs, and so will $obscure_occupational_software

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 05:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
Actually, OS/2 was designed by IBM, but Microsoft did the coding.
Both IBM and Microsoft were originally heavily involved in the OS/2 project. Microsoft eventually took their stuff and turned it into NT, and IBM tried with IBM OS/2.

WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-03-29, 06:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
Let's not say "Remember OS/2" in a misty voice and wave our hand in lieu of an explanation. What does OS/2 have to do with Apple? Apple sells hardware, to name one obvious difference. Secondly, its hardware isn't the main reason people buy it: the software is. PCs don't have iLife, Final Cut Pro, or a good operating system.

It will take more than one-liners to explain why Apple would go the way of OS/2 if it allowed fast OS-switching.
OS/2 isn't a one-liner, it's a keyword.

Allowing the un-initiated to google and wiki all the information needed to understand why it's usually a really bad idea to support a rival OS's programs natively on your OS.

You know, something about not knowing history and thus being doomed to repeat it.

Oh yeah, and IBM isn't known for it's hardware at all....

Oskar

2006-03-29, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
You know, something about not knowing history and thus being doomed to repeat it.
That assumes you have your history right. You haven't yet considered how their different business model would play into this scenerio. You could suppose that Windows on a Mac would decrease developer incentives, but at the same time, the larger volume of Macs sold (due to Windows being compatible on it) could increase developer incentive due to the wider use of OSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
Apple only sells OSX on macs. That is a crucial point, as it means they're business model relies not on selling copies of OSX, but on selling hardware.

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
Apple only sells OSX on macs. That is a crucial point, as it means they're business model relies not on selling copies of OSX, but on selling hardware.
You can buy OS X separately from a Mac.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-03-29, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug

Yes, you can. But what are you going to do with that copy?

Anything other than putting it on a Mac violates the EULA

ssdd108

2006-03-29, 12:56

Apple doesn't have access to Windows source code. Would Microsoft even allow a compatibility layer? If Apple has Intel chips, Windows, and other standard PC parts, what exactly is going to make Apple, Apple. I think this is purely for benchmarking. Look! 10.5 with its new kernel is 2-4x faster than Windows!

Quote:
LOL, If you say so.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 12:58

There are certainly differences between Apple and IBM. IBM relied too much on their size and name-recognition (back then, PC were still called "IBM compatible"), and their superior technology. But they underestimated Windows 95 (for private users and many business desktops) and NT (for more reliable desktops and servers). Had there been a solid application base by the time '95 came out, they would have had a much better chance. This operating system monoculture did not occur naturally, that was Microsoft's doing to a large part, and IBM and others didn't really do much against it until it was too late.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-29, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd108
Apple doesn't have access to Windows source code. Would Microsoft even allow a compatibility layer? If Apple has Intel chips, Windows, and other standard PC parts, what exactly is going to make Apple, Apple. I think this is purely for benchmarking. Look! 10.5 with its new kernel is 2-4x faster than Windows!
Intel just happens to make chips for Microsoft. They are just in the buisness of making chips, so that doesn't mean that Microsoft is getting any money from Intel for chips sold to Apple. At least to the best of my knowledge. Am I wrong?

Dr_LHA

2006-03-29, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
Actually Apple only really sells "upgrade" copies of OS X. After all you can't own a computer that runs OS X without having at least a previous version of Mac OS already on it, so essentially all boxed copies of OS X are upgrade versions, not stand alone.

This is the argument I have to use with everyone who moans when a new Mac OS X version comes out that there is no "upgrade price". $129 is the upgrade price!

ssdd108

2006-03-29, 13:02

Quote:
Intel just happens to make chips for Microsoft. They are just in the buisness of making chips, so that doesn't mean that Microsoft is getting any money from Intel for chips sold to Apple. At least to the best of my knowledge. Am I wrong?
No, you are not wrong but that wasn't my point.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-29, 13:04

Oh I see now. Sorry. I gotcha. Good question. I don't know. Personally, I would buy an iMac just for it's slimness, style, and the OS. It's speed is pretty fast from what I've seen too.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 13:05

Quote:
Intel just happens to make chips for Microsoft.
Wrong. In the PC business, Intel makes chips for Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. but not for Microsoft.

That would be like saying Microsoft makes Windows for Firefox. The latter may use the former, but the former is not required for the latter and the former is not producing the product directly for the latter.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-29, 13:07

Well my point was that they are separate from any other corporation they make chips for.

dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-03-29, 13:11

Quote:
You could suppose that Windows on a Mac would decrease developer incentives, but at the same time, the larger volume of Macs sold (due to Windows being compatible on it) could increase developer incentive due to the wider use of OSX.
Oskar, you've just proven our point. In your scenario, if Macs are being sold "due to Windows compatibility" that means people are buying them to run Windows apps not Mac OS apps. Where is the incentive to develop and support Mac OS apps? There is none. See OS/2.

Shhhh, I can't see!

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-29, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
Oskar, you've just proven our point. In your scenario, if Macs are being sold "due to Windows compatibility" that means people are buying them to run Windows apps not Mac OS apps. Where is the incentive to develop and support Mac OS apps? There is none. See OS/2.
Very interesting problem here. I think though, that most people program for PCs because most people use them. However, I agree with Oskar because if more people used Macs, then more would program for them as well.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 13:23

Quote:
Very interesting problem here. I think though, that most people program for PCs because most people use them. However, I agree with Oskar because if more people used Macs, then more would program for them as well.
Ah, correction: most people program for Windows because most people use it. Including Windows or a compatibility layer on Macs would increase that number of people who have access to Windows, thusly further solidifying the developers' interest in developing only for Windows and further decreasing the incentive to make native Mac versions.