iPhone 13 Screen Stopped Working

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13 Screen Stopped Working
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-28, 08:32

Never had this happen before.

Playing Angry Birds and the game hung.

I can't get the touch screen to work now.

I have done the trick of volume up, volume down, hold the fat button until it forces a restart.

The glass is still unresponsive.

I've done MULTIPLE restarts - she no worky??!!!

ARRGGHH!!!!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-28, 09:03

EDIT: That "yep" was me replying to a request to move my car for tree guy and not paying attention to where I posted/sent "yep"...my plan was to run out and do that and be back inside to post the below before you or anyone noticed (I can't function right at 9am)

Saw this article online...note paragraph two, which I was unaware of.

Scroll down for the "fixes" (usual obvious things, 1-3), but I'd never heard of #4, so maybe that is something to try?

Quote:
4. Restore iPhone 13 using DFU Mode

In case updating your iPhone 13 using iTunes fails, you can opt to restore your iPhone 13 using the DFU mode.

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using the Apple-supplied USB cable
2. Launch iTunes
3. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button
4. Repeat the same drill with the Volume Down button
5. Now, press and hold the SIDE button for 10 seconds.
6. While holding the SIDE button, press and hold the Volume down button for 5 seconds. Release the SIDE button after 5 seconds while holding only the Volume Down button.
7. Release the Volume down button after 10 seconds. The screen should stay black.
8. You’re now in DFU mode & there’ll be a popup on the iTunes.
9. Tap OK
10. Now, follow the instructions to restore your iPhone 13
Have you tried that? If you can get through steps 3-7 correctly, you deserve to have a working iPhone again. Holy hell...

#5, unfortunately, is "visit the Apple Store".

Man, I haven't played Angry Birds in 72 years...I LOVED that game. Not so much on the phone, but on the Mac (and it's no longer available there). I was playing it in my sleep, 7-9 years ago...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-28 at 09:30.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-28, 18:51

Yes, I did the recovery mode thing and I had not yet made a backup of the phone. Thankfully my messages are backed up to iCloud as are all my other iCloud bits. I have an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow. Hoping they have phones like mine in stock. Mine was red. If they can't fix it I'll probably switch to black or something else... IF they have my config in stock. Bleh.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-28, 19:03

That's pretty grim. I suppose anyone can wind up with a lemon at some point, but shit...you just got this phone. I remember when you did. Something just broke, I guess. They should just give you a new one. Their little earnings call the other day showed they're doing okay, so it ain't gonna break them to take care of their customer properly (and not turn it into a hassle for you).

Hope you walk out of there tomorrow with a brand new phone. None of this "repair" stuff...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-29, 01:07

That happened to the original screen of my XS, it was less than a year old at the time, Apple replaced the screen in about an hour. Of that was before COVID crazy times.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-29, 15:24

I'm about to head out toward the store - will let you know what happens later, since I can't use my phone right now. It is depressing to realize how dumb you are without the internet at your fingertips.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-29, 16:11

Which Atlanta area Apple Store do you go to? I got my PowerBook G4 at Lenox Square(?) back in 2003, but Alpharetta ever since, 5-6 times.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-29, 19:50

I went to Lenox today - closest to me.

They replaced the screen and properly wiped the phone - the wipe that I did before didn't really take, the phone was still able to be 'touched' by Siri commands. I was getting her to read back messages to me on the way to the Apple Store.

NOW I have to decide whether to set it up like a new phone or try to load in my 7 Plus save from last October.

Since most everything including Messages is saved in iCloud I am strongly leaning toward setting it up like a new phone and just connecting to iCloud.

I could always wipe it and start over, I suppose?

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-29, 20:06

I never set a phone up from any previous backup. I realize YMMV, but I don't keep a gazillion emails, texts, apps and the like and my concern is that I'm going to carry over any gremlins or problems.

Since you had a brand new flagship iPhone shit the bed in its first 2-3 months of ownership, if it were me I'd try the other approach just to see how it goes. Makes me wonder if something bad might've carried over in your big migration a few months ago?

Like you said, you can always wipe and start over if needed.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-29, 22:00

EXACTLY.

Thanks for giving me that nod of approval.

What the heck.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-30, 00:52

I don't know what happened but the young lady who handed the phone back to me didn't really know what was going on with the phone - once I went through the facial recognition and other setup routines it opened up and there were all my apps, loading in. Not sure yet if it's from the old backup but I assume it is - but they did NOT wipe it out. It's all so flipping confusing.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-30, 01:08

I get to do all this in a few months when that new SE hits. But I don't intend to spend more than 10-15 minutes with it.

Ever since iCloud (and Music Match/Apple Music), etc. all came to be, a lot of this stuff confuses me.

So they didn't wipe it, but they did something to get it working again. Hmmm.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-30, 08:19

They likely just changed the screen, still the same phone, they don’t erase the data if they don’t have to.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-01-30, 08:29

I had nowhere else to post this little bit of BS from apple: My first iPhone had a manufacturing defect in the screen where the back light-reflector was pushed up causing a light patch. When i traded the phone in for a new one, the value was dropped to zero because of this. So because I did the environmentally proper thing to do when i bought the phone by not demanding a replacement, I get punished twice -- once with suffering through years of use and just dealing with the defect, and once in cash value...

They really need to get their heads out of their asses.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-30, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
They likely just changed the screen, still the same phone, they don’t erase the data if they don’t have to.
True. But I'd love to know what made the screen just stop working.

Not the sort of thing I'd expect from a $700+ flagship/high-end model, 2-3 months(?) into its life. A defective component from Apple? Something lurking about in Drew's migrated stuff? Just random bad luck? An unholy combination of all three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I had nowhere else to post this little bit of BS from apple: My first iPhone had a manufacturing defect in the screen where the back light-reflector was pushed up causing a light patch. When i traded the phone in for a new one, the value was dropped to zero because of this. So because I did the environmentally proper thing to do when i bought the phone by not demanding a replacement, I get punished twice -- once with suffering through years of use and just dealing with the defect, and once in cash value...

They really need to get their heads out of their asses.
There should be some sort of procedure in place to where if you, the customer, notices such a thing, you contact support and they're made aware of it and it goes into your file, tied to your Apple ID, etc. When trade-in time comes, that factors in a bit so you're not fully on the hook for such a thing, since a) you didn't cause it, and b) they were made aware of it years earlier. Kinda like when you and the rental car agent walk out and inspect the car before you drive off, so you're not on the hook for any new scuffs, dents, etc.

But I suppose their thinking is "in situations like that, we'd offer a repair or replacement...if the customer declines, for whatever reason(s), that's on them." But there should be something like the above, for those who do decline. "We were made aware of this screen issue 22 months ago, therefore we can't fully bend him over on the trade-in...". But I guess if they did that, they'd spend all their time keeping records about every little scuff/ding anyone ever had and it would just get out of hand really quick. They'd be squabbling constantly with customers over the definition of "hairline crack", "discoloration", what constitutes a "dent", what's considered normal wear-and-tear vs. being a klutz, the date something allegedly took place, etc. Yikes.

One of those cases where trying to do the right thing bites you in the butt. No good deed goes unpunished. Next time just take the replacement (if offered) and offset the environmental impact in some other ways, I guess? I've been offered freebies from Apple on two occasions since 2005 (a replacement video iPod and an out-of-warranty(!) power supply replacement(!!) on my 20" iMac). I jumped on both, figuring "I didn't cause the problem, and they're not exactly struggling...they can toss me this bone for my years of loyalty and evangelism. Goodness knows I've spent enough money* with this bunch...".

*Around $14,600 since early 1994, by my rough, rounded calculation (Macs, iPhones, accessories, services, software).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-30 at 12:52.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-30, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
True. But I'd love to know what made the screen just stop working.

Not the sort of thing I'd expect from a $700+ flagship/high-end model, 2-3 months(?) into its life. A defective component from Apple? Something lurking about in Drew's migrated stuff? Just random bad luck? An unholy combination of all three?
There are failure rates for all electronics, regardless of price point, just the nature of mass produced products. 8-15% would be a likely level on average for these types of parts. Most likely a failure of the digitizer behind the screen that accepts touch input. When that happened to my phone it was only the top half that stopped working, and I was able to get accessablity turned on to use that feature that brings the entire screen down to about half height. I was lucky and could still use the phone, somewhat, unlike Drew.