Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

What Comes After WordPress?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What Comes After WordPress?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-30, 04:27

I just read a little piece about how WordPress is disliked by developers because it runs on such an old platform.

This is understandable, because of its wide deployment. I suppose it's not unlike how retail software packages can be limited by legacy support.

But I'm wondering, what else could people do?

Are there emerging content management system platforms that people are moving toward?

I'd like to stay abreast of the things to come.

https://thenextweb.com/news/develope...ould-marketers

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-30, 04:30

It depends. Some have moved to static site generators like Jekyll, Nanoc, Wyam. You "compile" the site on your development machine, and then just push a bunch of static files to a server. It's faster and cheaper, but you lose some flexibility.

Others have moved to "headless CMSs", where the CMS is only an administrative backend for publishing articles, and provides an API to access them, but the "frontend" is just a custom site you write.

Both approaches are more lightweight and less prone to security issues.

TL;DR: I think it has kind of bifurcated. I'm not sure traditional CMSs are as big as they were in the 2000s.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-30, 04:32

Here's one company promoting their "headless CMS".

I'll look at this later when I'm awake again.

https://www.contentful.com/r/knowled...-headless-cms/

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-30, 13:38

I've actually been thinking about this but mostly because I'm having to maintain my site to keep it safe. I really only use my site to post wiki like things. I mean, I could move my "blog" to a wiki at this point, but there are some perks to having the blog formatting way of doing things. It isn't indexed (at least I told them not to index it) so it just serves more to make articles and guides easier for me to find.

The idea of doing that in static files I upload seems logical and even something that would be nice. Easier for caching too.

What I REALLY want is something that lets me drag from Photos into the web page for sharing the things I want. Heck, at this point I'd just like to be able to build quick photo pages like I could with Aperture.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-01, 13:40

This thread really made me thing about my blog and how better to deal with it and security for it. I started searching a little and found Pelican. I don't know much about it, but the idea of being able to build a site locally and then export basic HTML sites sounds great. I might have to play with this and even publish a site as a test with it. The WP import functions sure would make this much simpler.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-01, 15:08

I have been very busy with other matters but want to go away and study the underlying concepts so I can understand how headless is different from the engine/database model of WordPress.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-02, 14:51

I started looking at Contenful that you linked to and I'm more confused than when I started looking at this thread. Clearly that isn't the direction I need to head or it is a steep learning curve.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-02, 17:37

One of my personal websites was created with a custom database. At the time I toyed with the idea of writing my own CMS for my blog, but looking at how many tables WordPress uses it became all too apparent that a homemade CMS would be a never-ending game of catch-up as the web continues to evolve.

Still, I desire portability of my content.

The best option might be to crank it into a book.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-03, 18:55

That is why I like the idea of building static pages and uploading them. I had an old blog for turtle2472 and it just wouldn't ever be used. I posted articles and stuff on there I didn't want to lose though. I found a plugin that would allow me to export the pages as HTML though and now it is static. Of course, I'm not going to update it again. I could really take it down but it isn't resource intensive now either. No DB to access and no security nightmare for a REALLY old blog software.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 15:10

Is this headless concept really a more modern version of iWeb? I ask because I'm interested in something that would allow me to get images published and using static pages. I'd like to have something like iWeb for blogging, image page creation etc...

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-12, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is this headless concept really a more modern version of iWeb? I ask because I'm interested in something that would allow me to get images published and using static pages. I'd like to have something like iWeb for blogging, image page creation etc...
Static pages are, yeah, sort of.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 15:39

I found an old license key for Rapidweaver that I'm guessing isn't for a supported version right now. I'm going to give it a shot though. While I might not be able to migrate from WP, I can at least move forward with it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-13, 08:20

My Rapidweaver license is from 2010... didn't work.

I did download the current version and am using it in demo mode. I built a page so far and will play with it more. It doesn't have a means to import WP that I can tell though. My goal with it was to be able to have something super simple and this might be it. Still working out how it would actually import images and such.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 21:45

I'm visual, and not a coder at all.

So after Adobe killed GoLive and then Muse, I toyed with my old Rapidweaver license, but it seemed too restrictive.

I finally found Blocs, which is what I currently use to deface the World Wide Web.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-20, 09:09

Thanks. I'll check it out too.