User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

ordering pb: stock apple RAM or Kingston RAM?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ordering pb: stock apple RAM or Kingston RAM?
malcolm

2005-02-26, 09:47

Hi there,
Still in need of some advice before I place my order for a new pb. I want 2 GB of RAM. Shall I get Apple to install its RAM (don't know what brand it is, but I'm sure it works) or should I order two 1GB modules of Kingston RAM. Price is about the same.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Malcolm
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-26, 10:08

Neither?

Your mileage may vary, but quite a few reviewers at Newegg seem to be happy with this Kingmax ram:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-111&depa=0
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-26, 11:40

I got that super cheap newegg RAM, despite a couple members here warning me not to.

Newegg only posts the positive reviews, so you can't fully trust it.

The first DIMM They sent me, caused kernel panics, freezing and failure to boot. I sent it back, there was a fairly quick turnaround, and they sent me a new one, So far I haven't had any problems with it. And 1.25 GB RAM is pretty swell.

So far as I know, the real gamble with buying cheap RAM is that you have a greater likelihood of it not working. Fortunately, Newegg's returns policy is really good, so it's not a big deal. If the second DIMM they sent me still didn't work, I'm pretty sure they refund you 100%
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-26, 11:44

If you're paying as much for Kingston as you would for Apple, then you're being ripped off. 2 GB of RAM should cost around $400-$500. Apple (and Kingston, apparently) will charge you $850. That's a completely ridiculous price.

I'd suggest going to either NewEgg, like MCQ recommended, or Other World Computing (www.owcomputing.com) for your RAM. Don't pay attention to any of the user reviews at NewEgg though; NewEgg will remove negative comments. I've heard some mixed reports about the Kingmax RAM from NewEgg among Mac users, so it might be a better idea to get it from OWC instead. OWC charges about $250 for a 1 GB SODIMM.

Also, please look around and see if there's already a thread discussing this subject before you post. There are lots and lots of posts by people asking the exact same question as you, here, here, and here. Also, this question belongs in the Purchasing Advice forum.
leod

2005-02-26, 12:41

Ive seen lots of discussions about RAM on different boards, and It seems no-one in the apple community ever seems to talk about Corsair RAM. I know from expereince they make a quality product ( I have two sitcks of their PC3200 XMS Series in my Gaming PC) , but I have never used their 200 pin RAM. Has anyone used Corsair RAM in their PB?