User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help with Finder Shortcuts....

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with Finder Shortcuts....
Track_40

2005-04-22, 13:52

Sorry in advance for the "windows" references... I'm new to OS X and don't know any better... yet.

- Is there any way to add an option to the "right" click menu in finder? Like, when I 'right-click' on the desktop, is there a way to create a option between "New Folder" & "Get Info"? I really would like a way to be able to quickly create a 'New [blank] Text File' right on the desktop.

- Is there a shortcut key to rename a file? In windows, when you have a file selected and you hit "F2", the file's name will highlight with a cursor at the end, and you can begin renaming the file -- without any mousework. Is there any equivalent in OS X?

- Is there a shortcut key to "refresh" a folder's contents? Again, in windows, if you want to update a folder's contents, you can hit the "F5" key repeatedly, and the folder window will refresh. Is there any equivalent in the world of OS X?

- Finally, are the "Home" and "End" keys on my Bluetooth wireless keyb not really supposed to do anything ever? It seems they work in very few apps - actually the only apps I can think of are Office 2004 apps. Is there a way to activate them for use in all text fields?
EmC

2005-04-22, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_40
- Is there a shortcut key to rename a file? In windows, when you have a file selected and you hit "F2", the file's name will highlight with a cursor at the end, and you can begin renaming the file -- without any mousework. Is there any equivalent in OS X?
Your return (enter) key will do that.
Track_40

2005-04-22, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC
Your return (enter) key will do that.
Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-22, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_40
- Finally, are the "Home" and "End" keys on my Bluetooth wireless keyb not really supposed to do anything ever? It seems they work in very few apps - actually the only apps I can think of are Office 2004 apps. Is there a way to activate them for use in all text fields?
Microsoft Office, not surprisingly, does things wrong.

See my post here, quoted below for convenience:
Quote:
Regarding Home and End and keyboard navigation in general, here's an old reply of mine:

The home/end behavior of Windows is one thing I hate. Microsoft Office for Mac is the only application that uses the Windows behavior. Surprised? All other Mac applications have had the same behavior for many many years. I think you'll find that on your Mac you have equal if not greater functionality once you know how to use these shortcuts.

Here's a quick list:

The block of navigation keys scroll the document.
home: scroll to top of document
end: scroll to end of document
page up: scroll up one page
page down: scroll down one page

The arrow keys move the cursor. However, in uneditable documents like web pages, the arrow keys scroll the document by a one-line "nudge" in the appropriate direction.
up arrow: move cursor up one line
down arrow: move cursor down one line
left arow: move cursor left one character
right arrow: more cursor right one character

option key: the option modifier on an arrow moves the cursor in blocks.
option up arrow: move cursor up one paragraph
option down arrow: move cursor down one paragraph
option left arrow: move cursor left one word
option right arrow: move cursor right one word

apple/command key: the apple modifier on an arrow moves "the whole stretch"
apple up arrow: move cursor to top of document
apple down arrow: move cursor to bottom of document
apple left arrow: move cursor to beginning (left) of line
apple right arrow: move cursor to end (right) or line

shift key: the shift modifier on an arrow modifies the selection. What's great about this is it can combine with the other modifiers. Here are just a few examples:
shift right arrow: select one character to the right
shift option right arrow: select one word to the right
shift apple right arrow: select everything to the end (right) of the line.

These shortcuts are the standard/default behavior. Almost all apps and text fields support them. All you really need to remember it the italicized parts above and the rest will come naturally.

Hope this helps.
Track_40

2005-10-25, 21:16

Is there any kind of keyboard shortcut to manually refresh a [network] folder? I connect my Powerbook to a PC File Server at the office, and sometimes I find that if I drop files into a folder I am already looking at on my PB, they don't appear. The only way to make them appear, is to disconnect from the file server, reconnect, and open that folder again.

Looking back on my windows days, I remember you could refresh any folder by tapping the "F5" key.

Is there a similar keyb shortcut in Tiger?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-25, 21:22

Get Nudge.
bruce

2005-10-29, 06:42

I really would like a way to be able to quickly create a 'New [blank] Text File' right on the desktop.

I keep a blank TextEdit file in the toolbar, or whatever it is called,
on my desktop, next to the safari icon, mail icon, etc.