User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Accessing MSN contacts through iChat using Jabber

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Accessing MSN contacts through iChat using Jabber
mariuantonio

2005-04-30, 13:04

somebody can tell me if it's really possible connect to MSN Messenger service using ichat? if it's possible, how ?!
thank's
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-30, 14:00

mariuantonio: Read Noel's post right above yours.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-30, 14:13

I decided to split this off into a little FAQ about how to use MSN in iChat using Jabber. I was also confused. I just figured it out now so I may as well share it with people.

First of all, you can't just go to jabber.org and register an account. You have to register through an application. I would suggest downloading Psi because that's what I used.

Open it up and it should present you with a window. Enter an account name (could be anything you want, it won't show up anywhere) and check the "create new account" check box. Then you can register a Jabber account. Enter a screen name and password. The thing is you have to also enter the name of a server. So don't just put "mariuantonio," you have to put "mariuantonio@server.net" or something. I am using "@12jabber.net" after mine.

Once you've created an account, use the Status menu and select "Online," then use the "General" menu and select "Service directory." Right click on any services you want, like the MSN transport, and choose "Add to roster." Then double click and it will ask for your account information. Once you've logged on and everything is set up, you can quit out of Psi.

Open iChat and add a new account in the account preferences. Make sure it's a Jabber account and type in your username including the server, and your password. You should get a new window for Jabber chat, which you can use to contact anyone through whichever transports you selected.
mczolton
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-04-30, 14:45

Have you tried Adium X yet? I just downloaded it a few days ago and love it.

http://www.adiumx.com/

Mark
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-30, 15:02

Adium is nice but file transfers don't work for me 95% of the time. I've occasionally gotten them to work between myself and other GAIM users, but they generally just don't work. I use file transfers a lot, so iChat is my preferred client.

Using Jabber to talk to MSN contacts through iChat probably removes the ability to transfer files to them, but it's worth it to be able to talk to them with a single client. I strongly prefer iChat to Adium, simply because it's less buggy and, unlike Proteus, it's free.

Oh yeah, jabber.org has a list of public servers that shows which protocols they support in addition to Jabber itself. The one I'm using (first one on the list, 12jabber.com) didn't seem to work right with Yahoo! messenger. Another one I tried didn't seem to work at all, but if you try enough of them you're bound to find one that works with everything you like.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-11, 14:16

Are file transfers still blocked, or is that unique to Messenger/MSN servers?