Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Wireless iSight possible?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless iSight possible?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-29, 00:03

As a guy with little technical background, this is as much a query as it is speculation.

With the demise of the stand-alone iSight (temporarily?) and all this talk about Airport Extreme and the "n" activation, I've been wondering 1.) if it were possible for the iSight to go wireless (using the n standard), and 2.) if so, would such a beast be comparable in picture quality, physical size, and data transfer (throughput) as its Firewire ancestor.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-01-29, 05:41

FWIW, I have a standalone iSight to iMac which has no ethernet wires to the internet connection, and I have made videophone calls (e.g. h.232) over normal g network, even though they tell me that it cannot and shan't be done, and have consistently got good quality provided that the network traffic is at a minimum. Any other activities would destroy the quality in an instant.
SilentSpectre

2007-01-29, 08:24

MMm, though one directional, there are numerous security cams on the g spec already. Since the camera itself would only really be transmitting data, I'd think it to be a relatively easy task as is. The big question is why? If they were going to go on a wireless standard, why would they not elect for some form of bluetooth or something that was designed for pc to component vs pc to network?

A nice bonus to bluetooth is it's relatively short range compared to the n-spec. It'd be interesting to go wardriving and check out wireless net cams lol A lot harder with a shorter range technology.