User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

usb port plug thingy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
usb port plug thingy
teglover

2005-03-02, 18:31

I know this is going to sound stupid, but i am wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes a plastic or rubber plug that will block off a usb port. I have found software that will disable ports and whatnot. That would be the ideal thing if i were trying to keep other people from plugging stuff into the ports, but I am really just trying to keep myself from plugging things into a usb port that somehow had the little plastic thing inside of it broken. Now that that is gone, the usb cable can be plugged in either way. While the port still works, I have a feeling that one too many "oops, other way" moments will bend up the contacts within the port. I don't guess it matters that I am wanting to stick this into a old ibook have. If someone knows of one of these things (if they exist), I want to know. I can always make it smaller and not stick out of the side of the computer too much.

I never thought i would seriously be asking about something like this.
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-03-02, 20:21

Funny enough, I have wondered the same thing before. I am worried about getting sand/dirt in them since I frequently use my iBook in my car (and near the beach at that!)

I thought about bubble gum or play-doh, but decided against it.

"Have you hugged your Mac today?"
teglover

2005-03-02, 21:17

Found it...

After much ado, here is a company that sells something like what I am looking for:

L-com Connectivity Products

There is a little problem here though...5-8 weeks until they are available?!?!

I also considered the alternatives to the rubber plug, but i decided epoxy and saran rap was just a bit too messy. At least I know they make them. Thanks for not making me think I was the only person wanting to do something like this.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-02, 21:23

there is a company that makes a product explicitly for the iBook that covers all the main ports... I'm not sure if they are still around, but you should be able to chop off just a usb port and even maybe sell the rest on ebay

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)