User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A twist on the 419 scam

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A twist on the 419 scam
Sauvblanc

2006-06-14, 19:08

My brother forwarded me an e-mail that he received today. It was your typical 419 scam letter BUT the difference is that the name of the rich guy who died and left behind a lot of money was...me. Or rather, it was my name on the letter. Apparently I died of a coronary in 2003 and left behind 11.5 million dollars.

It looks like they just used a bot to search for addresses with names on them that matched the one in the letter-mine was probably randomly selected- and tried to butter the recipient up by using "next of kin".

I'm quite tempted to write to the guy and tell him that I'm very much alive and that I want my money back!!!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvblanc
My brother forwarded me an e-mail that he received today. It was your typical 419 scam letter BUT the difference is that the name of the rich guy who died and left behind a lot of money was...me. Or rather, it was my name on the letter. Apparently I died of a coronary in 2003 and left behind 11.5 million dollars.

It looks like they just used a bot to search for addresses with names on them that matched the one in the letter-mine was probably randomly selected- and tried to butter the recipient up by using "next of kin".

I'm quite tempted to write to the guy and tell him that I'm very much alive and that I want my money back!!!
You should!

I've definitely never seen something like this before. Beautiful.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-15, 05:51

Yea. And do post his replies for us to read.