User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

eMac going extinct?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
eMac going extinct?
macdude72

2006-04-26, 15:58

I work for a school district and our sales rep mentioned that if we want any more eMacs, we'd better get them quick because they are going away soon! Turns out, they disappeared from the Apple Education Store today.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-26, 16:04

Simply streamlining the number of products I would assume. I can't see the iMac being discontinued at any time in the near or distant future. I suspect that the Mini has replaced the eMac for the education market. In fact, the University that my sister attends has several labs of Minis.
mickey.herman

2006-04-26, 16:08

The eMacs have been doomed for months.

They have not been updated for a while and they won't switch to Intel chips.

Personally, I think having the Mini and the eMac would be too much, after all, they are basically the same thing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-26, 16:13

It's still there for institutional purchases.

It's not available for individuals, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
macdude72

2006-04-26, 16:13

I agree the iMacs aren't going anywhere. I should have picked a better thread title, since iMacs are also considered all-in-one. I was referring to CRT-based all-in-ones (ie eMacs).

Maybe from a price or a power point-of-view the Minis can replace the eMac. But from our (tech staff's) point of view, footprint and cable complexity are slightly (that is, not enough to justify going to iMacs) more important than price/power. We put these things on carts, that roll all over the school, so having an extra pair of cables and something that can teeter and topple, like a monitor is just not a good idea for that application.

*shrug* maybe this will get my administrators to pony up for laptops on the carts and we'll just put minis in the classrooms - where they remain statically installed.
macdude72

2006-04-26, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It's still there for institutional purchases.

It's not available for individuals, though.
Ah yes, I see it now. I was going in as faculty, not as the school itself.

Well, our sales rep told us they won't be available for long!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-26, 16:17

Thread title fixed.
macdude72

2006-04-26, 16:17

LOL! thanks.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-26, 16:18

The eMac always had a special place in my heart. It was always unloved and underrated, but I liked how it didn't quite fit in with the rest of Apple's line...it made it all the quirkier.

But yeah, it's most definitely dead.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Is it 1981?

2006-04-26, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
It was always unloved and underrated, but I liked how it didn't quite fit in with the rest of Apple's line...
The Meg Griffin of the Apple lineup?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2006-04-26, 20:36

The eMac existed because a number of schools found LCDs too easily breakable for their liking.

I've always wondered why some enterprising third party didn't just make a protective screen for the iMac and solve the issue once and for all.
mjteix

2006-04-26, 21:15

Maybe the eMac could be revived using this
A thinner 17" CRT with a 1.66GHz core solo inside for $699, $749 for the Core Duo version.
It could be like a thicker, heavier 17" iMac.
When Merom comes, the Yonah CPU will be cheaper... according to rumors it's already going to be cheaper mid-may!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-04-26, 21:22

I would have thought that a nailed down Minis would be perfect for schools, with CRT monitors, if LCD is a concern. A cheap bunch of CRTs with Minis would also be a good price point for school budgets.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
MacRonin

2006-04-27, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981?
Harsh!

;^p
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-04-27, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981?
CFP

2006-04-27, 09:54

It'd be a shame if they were killed off. My trusty eMac has served me well

But I do agree that they seem a little archaic now. I had an iMac DV before, and it was considerably lighter. I know the eMac has a larger screen, but still... progress and evolution, and all that jazz!

Bring on the MacBook, I say!

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-27, 12:22

That and 17" LCDs bottom out around $160 now, with 15" LCDs costing... $150. True, you can get a new 17" CRT for well under $100, but still. It should be pretty easy for Apple to replace the eMac's CRT with a 17" LCD without losing the ~$600 price. They just don't have any reason to do that.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
That and 17" LCDs bottom out around $160 now, with 15" LCDs costing... $150. True, you can get a new 17" CRT for well under $100, but still. It should be pretty easy for Apple to replace the eMac's CRT with a 17" LCD without losing the ~$600 price. They just don't have any reason to do that.
Exactly. That would seriously eat up mini sales, as well as a lot of iMac sales, really. I don't see Apple bringing this one back.
Is it 1981?

2006-04-27, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin
Harsh!

;^p
I always found Meg Griffin strangely and mildly attractive. Not anywhere near the saem league as She-Ra, but still.
opuscroakus

2006-04-27, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I don't see Apple bringing this one back.
When discussing CRT recycling concerns during the shareholder meeting, Steve stated "We only have one CRT product left and that’s the eMac. We could be sitting here next year with none."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the eMac.

upgraded sawtooth
kgarchar

2006-04-28, 23:13

ehem,
Quote:
Steve. Jobs also mentioned the possible demise of the CRT in their lineup, due to environmental concerns
i think the emac will live on, and probably be pretty cheap/popular. i'm pretty stoked
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-04-29, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarchar
ehem, i think the emac will live on, and probably be pretty cheap/popular. i'm pretty stoked
How do you extrapolate that the eMac will live on from the Jobs quote you give? Or am I misreading your post?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-04-29, 03:43

Well, it could have a 15-17" LCD rather than CRT and only be avalible to education buyers. Personally I think Mac Minis are better for education buyers, since they most likely have screens etc. already.
ZachPruckowski

2006-04-29, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Well, it could have a 15-17" LCD rather than CRT and only be avalible to education buyers. Personally I think Mac Minis are better for education buyers, since they most likely have screens etc. already.
not if they've been buying eMacs and iMacs before that. Even if they use minis to replace dells, when they iMacs and eMacs need replacing, they'll have to get more monitors.
runner91786

2006-04-29, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
not if they've been buying eMacs and iMacs before that. Even if they use minis to replace dells, when they iMacs and eMacs need replacing, they'll have to get more monitors.
So what exactly are you replacing:
"minis to replace dells"

So why are you sayins they will need monitors when they are replacing eMac and iMacs, if they are replacing dells with minis? Did I miss the eMacs and iMacs somewhere?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-29, 23:11

His example says school currently has Dells, iMacs, and eMacs.

The school can replace the Dells with Mac minis, using the existing displays.

The school cannot replace the iMacs and eMacs with a "headless" computer like the Mac mini without also buying new displays.

Got it?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ZachPruckowski

2006-04-30, 02:22

Thank you Brad, I guess I was less coherent than I thought I was. My point was basically that schools tend to have Dell Celeron boxes w/ monitors. or have eMacs or G3/G4 iMacs. You can replace the boxes with Minis, but not eMacs or iMacs. And the schools most likely to buy from Apple already have All-In-Ones (e/iMacs).
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-04-30, 19:57

Yes...Minis are perfect for school...especially since the missing GPU means the little buggers won't be playing games. Study hard, little ones, study hard.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-04-30, 20:29

Our school has seven P4 HP computer labs(10-40 computers per lab). Then we have 5 "carts" of laptops each hold about 30 laptops. The laptops are also either compaq or HP P4's. If your gonna buy a PC the tech guys made the right choice here. But our school's labs are still always booked several days before.

Our principle has a 14" ibook.


blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-01, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Yes...Minis are perfect for school...especially since the missing GPU means the little buggers won't be playing games. Study hard, little ones, study hard.