User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iphone texting

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iphone texting
feidhlim1986

2007-09-21, 08:10

Is there any way (maybe via a 3rd party app) that i can write text messages using a number keypad like a traditional phone. ie. press 2 for a or press 8 three times for v.
Alternativly can i write texts using the qwerty keyboard in landscape mode (having the iPhone sideways), so the keys aren't so close together
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-21, 08:21

As far as I believe, 'no' to both questions.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-21, 08:35

You can use the target's carrier's pager web page and enter the text from Safari (which is the only app that allows keyboard rotation as far as I can tell). This is a total kludge, but it DOES work, as long as your expectations are extremely low.

For example:

Verizon:
https://text.vzw.com/
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-21, 08:38

Try typing faster on the screen keyboard. Seriously.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-21, 08:49

If someone had a web site and a smattering of javascripting ability I'm thinking they could come up with something fairly easily.

I just plow my way through it. I sucked at doing it on my RAZR, anyway. To make matters worse, I'm the kind of person that writes in complete sentences and uses correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
Gizzer

2007-09-21, 15:51

I wish Apple gave 2 input options - full qwerty and also a traditional number pad with T9 predictive input. Every other phone in the world has it, and it would be a boon to most users.

I can type full sentences on my current phone using T9 probably as easily as using a tiny qwerty pad. But then I guess Apple would have to use a 3rd party T9 license, and that would just be wrong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-21, 15:56

God, I've been using T9 for a couple of years now, and it's the most godawful piece of crap interface I've ever had the misfortune to lay fingers on. Seriously. It's the Windows of interfaces - everyone uses it because it's everywhere, and assumes it's gotta be good because if it weren't, not everyone would use it, right? and besides, it doesn't hurt *that* badly, and eventually you don't notice the pain, and, and, and, and...

Bleah.

T9 can't die fast enough, IMO.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-09-21, 15:59

The only reason anyone is fast with T9 is because they're used to it. Once you're used to the full soft keyboard on the iPhone, T9 will seem like hell once again.
Gizzer

2007-09-21, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
God, I've been using T9 for a couple of years now, and it's the most godawful piece of crap interface I've ever had the misfortune to lay fingers on. Seriously. It's the Windows of interfaces - everyone uses it because it's everywhere, and assumes it's gotta be good because if it weren't, not everyone would use it, right? and besides, it doesn't hurt *that* badly, and eventually you don't notice the pain, and, and, and, and...

Bleah.

T9 can't die fast enough, IMO.
...You do know you can switch it off, right? Also, some manufacturers are better at implementing it than others. That can really make a difference
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-09-21, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
The only reason anyone is fast with T9 is because they're used to it. Once you're used to the full soft keyboard on the iPhone, T9 will seem like hell once again.
Ding!

We have a winner!

As far as T9 goes, SE implements it best. I HATE the way Nokia does it.