AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 3 of 25 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-08-15, 22:33

I love how both Old Towne and Drew's place are almost completely leveled, but the bridge between them is completely untouched.

Also, how there were still some undetonated TNT blocks left up in the Rink of Pain's roof.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-05, 12:38

Maps are updated again. I made some changes so now you get two views. Up at a bearing of 45 and up bearing 315. I'm likely going to keep this way of doing things for the time being too, however going to see what I can do to keep this map visible after the world is replaced and we start over....

since it seems that's what is going to happen at this point.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-18, 13:10

Maps are up with the new world. I still have the others saved and might move them to Lenny, but for now it has our new desert home.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-18, 13:51

Pssst... I think you need to update the texture pack on the map-generating server. New blocks like mushrooms and stone bricks are invisible.

edit: Or perhaps Tectonicus itself needs an update to map the new block IDs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-18, 13:52

That's the problem! Thanks. I was working to figure that one out.

Really, thank you.

Edit: something changed with the new one because it's pulling from the right texture pack but still not showing the new stuff. I hope the developer for this comes back around.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-09-18 at 15:04.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-22, 22:43

With the new updates and new map, I have posted the final update to the 1.8 map.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-23, 01:26

Look at the bottom of the 1.8 map to see Piggsburgh.
Wasn't that a LOVELY location for a town?

FAR better than Bruce's stinking sea village.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-23, 01:46

One thing is clear: these worlds are going to be much bigger than they were before -- the biomes have a tendency of pushing people to explore their edges. We're approximately 2km from spawn in the new map already.

I also fear that the aggressive pruning procedure might need to get modified to exclude all sorts of materials that are now generated in the map -- perhaps every normal world home needs a bit of netherack?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-23, 21:22

For those interested in looking over Sedona's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/sedona/

Old Bridgeport maps:
http://mc.applenova.com/bridgeport/

Both of these "archive" maps are on Lenny. Please think of this when viewing them, it could take resources from the game, though not likely to be an issue. I just wanted to be sure everyone thought of that.

Now, that being said, our main map is now running the Pre 1.9 map Lenny is running now. It's not live just yet, running it now though. Should be done before morning. Enjoy!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-27, 15:50

Weird: The maps now display some but not all of the new blocks. For example: Stone Brick works, but gates don't. Netherblock doesnt work, but melons do. Very odd.

Also, the secondary view is rotated 90 degrees from the main view - shouldn't it be 180? I cant see the front of my house on either view.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-27, 22:24

I can change it to be 180. Good call! I'll make that change right after I finish posting on here for the night.

Also, the new 1.9 blocks are not in the map generator yet. It's not going to be until after the 1.9 is actually released either it seems.

Any other ideas for me?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-27, 23:52

Weren't gates from 1.8? Or did I dream that?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-28, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Weren't gates from 1.8? Or did I dream that?
Fence gates were in beta 1.8. The various nether brick materials are new to beta 1.9.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-28, 19:06

Turns out there was a specific message that stated gates don't work right now because of how they operate. Fix is in the works though, as well as some other things we don't need to worry about.

¡Damned!

2011-10-24, 19:31

*grumble*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-24, 21:12

Work faster!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-11, 20:21

So....

Seems the rapid expansion recently caused the map data to go to large and filled my server's drive to 100%. If you've not working with this before, it's not good.

Thankfully I was able to SSH in and "rm -rf /" it all away.

Ok, not really but I did SSH in an delete the maps and reconfigure the map generation to only be one direction again. 32GB for maps is a bit much.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-11, 20:35

I think I suggested this before... can you cut out the closest zoom level? That should eliminate a good chunk of the disk usage (and bandwidth to push the updates).

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If you've not working with this before, it's not good.
Oh yes, that's fun. In general, some of the first things I check when a server seems to go belly-up:

uptime = is it under heavy load?
free -m = is all the RAM used up?
df -h = is the disk full?
touch /tmp/foo = is the filesystem writable?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-11, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I think I suggested this before... can you cut out the closest zoom level? That should eliminate a good chunk of the disk usage (and bandwidth to push the updates).

Oh yes, that's fun. In general, some of the first things I check when a server seems to go belly-up:

uptime = is it under heavy load?
free -m = is all the RAM used up?
df -h = is the disk full?
touch /tmp/foo = is the filesystem writable?
I did cut down the number of zooms, guess I can get one or too more close zooms. Have you seen the expansion? I was actually shocked at the "growth" of the world. Not that I mind, but wasn't expecting it.

Yep, use those all the time now too. Not the touch, but I'll add that one.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-11, 20:52

Quote:
Have you seen the expansion? I was actually shocked at the "growth" of the world. Not that I mind, but wasn't expecting it.
Holy crap. Not until now.

Uh... and now that that prompted me to check, we're at 95% capacity on the RAM disk. Looks like I need to prune the branches.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-11, 20:54

Quote:
Yep, use those all the time now too. Not the touch, but I'll add that one.
At work, I do a lot of work with VMs and network filesystem mounts. Checking if the filesystem is writable is much more useful in that kind of environment as opposed to having a physical disk attached, but it's a good sanity check anyway.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-11-11, 22:40

There seems to be at least one rogue explorer (some of the new people, perhaps?)...

This world was bound to get big given the fact that loch greene is so far from spawn.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-12, 00:35

I'm about to shut down the server briefly to trim the world. The red area highlights what I'm cutting out (113 MB).

edit: Done!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-12, 09:27

Guess I'll see about doing a new smaller map too. After work today though.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-11-12, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
There seems to be at least one rogue explorer (some of the new people, perhaps?)...

This world was bound to get big given the fact that loch greene is so far from spawn.
The snow biome mess is my exploration. I figured that since this world was toast soon I would try and see how big and what types of terrain would be generated in these environments. Better than abusing the new world after all. My bad I guess.

BTW you may have to trim a little bit to the south again as I did have to walk out after all.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2011-11-12 at 17:48.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-12, 19:02

We could just kill your player data and make you start at spawn.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-12, 19:46

That snow biome is/was Huge! I hope we find an equally large one in the New World.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-19, 00:34

Quote:
For those interested in looking over Sedona's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/sedona/

Old Bridgeport maps:
http://mc.applenova.com/bridgeport/

Both of these "archive" maps are on Lenny. Please think of this when viewing them, it could take resources from the game, though not likely to be an issue. I just wanted to be sure everyone thought of that.

Now, that being said, our main map is now running the Pre 1.9 map Lenny is running now. It's not live just yet, running it now though. Should be done before morning. Enjoy!
And add to the list now, Loch Greene's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/lochgreene/

Also, I've got our new map loaded and ready.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-22, 16:52

Not sure if we have to wait for Tectonicus to be fixed or if it's easier than this, but: Since Notch changed NSEW, the indicator on the map has West labelled as North (and so on).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-23, 11:20

It's something we are going to have to wait on. I'll post a message about it in the forum on that and see what we end up with.