Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 3 of 12 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-09-01, 16:29

My mind just asploded into 16 bit pixels...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-01, 17:53

These Playstation ads just get odder and odder.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-01, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Erm...

Totally missed that. But I'm guessing you know that already.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-01, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
These Playstation ads just get odder and odder.
It's the new rhythm dance craze Darda Omboto!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to roun across the parp.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-01, 23:35

Needed that laugh. I think a murder pit for traps sounds fine. We can just as easily have water channels deliver us dropped goods after the murder. The only issue I can foresee is dealing with Endermen...they can teleport out of it.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-01, 23:40

And that is why we kill them first or something.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-02, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Needed that laugh. I think a murder pit for traps sounds fine. We can just as easily have water channels deliver us dropped goods after the murder. The only issue I can foresee is dealing with Endermen...they can teleport out of it.
But if the traps have water-driven channels like they do today, Endermen will be dead already because they take damage in water. This assumes they don't have different or more intelligent AI.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-02, 00:22

Hmmm...this might work out nicely, then. Depends if they would teleport out before death, I guess.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-02, 18:19

Just don't look at them. Problem solved.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Sure it makes it hard to shoot with arrows, but that's kinda the point.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-02, 23:32

They only come out at night, right?
Fade away with the dawn? RIGHT???
NOT STROLLING AROUND IN THE DAYTIME??
RIGHT?????!!!!
RIGHT?????!!!!

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-03, 00:16

wrong. unless you're right.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-03, 12:18

OK, so, yesterday was an exciting time.

(It wasn't me! )
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 14:49

Ugh. Update from Jens' Twitter account:
Quote:
As it looks now, beta 1.9 will also require new generation

So, I have a proposal for the Overlords:

• Do the meta-chunk deletion* thing and back the file up up in a nice shiny box.
• When 1.8 drops lets live in the current world and use that time between 1.8 and 1.9 to do some exploring and get used to the new features (pre/post-1.8 biome weirdness and all).
• Start a new world when 1.9 drops (hopefully with some sort of overlap between worlds).
• Once we've settled the 1.9 world, pull the plug on the old.
• Provide the pre-1.8 backup as a playground for some of us that'd like to refine and continue on some of the old structures.

Is that reasonable/feasible?

Ta.

* The "aggressive pruning" thing is hella scary. I'd rather just know that "way over that way I could generate a new biome with wacky cliffs if I wanted to."

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-09-08 at 15:10.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-08, 15:02

Quote:
Ugh. Update from Jens' Twitter account:

I see your and raise you
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-08, 16:49

So, if we do end up having to start fresh with a new world at some point, do you have the ability to generate an SMP map using a specific seed (like you can with SSP maps)? If so, maybe we could wait for a bit after the update is out until someone comes up with an awesome map seed to start out with.

Just a random thought... (I'm waiting for my next class to start, and I have nothing better to do.)
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 17:39

I thought about that too. Generate a world with "applenova" and just live with it (zomg trolls!) or keep trying new seeds until spawn is someplace reasonable (ie: not in the middle of a desert/Enderman territory).

With the 1.9 seed I would like to get together with everyone and kind of discuss planning before everyone scatters to the farthest points on the map. Mostly along the lines of sand-mining territory (I think we should have a dedicated area instead of raping wherever), a cohesive skyway structure (and rails that go along with that), township (if possible built around spawn - or not if it's ugly ), personal boundaries (please don't build within x blocks from me if I'm not downtown), and a general refresh of what we all love about this game (working together and having lol-worthy adventures).

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-08, 17:51

Quote:
I thought about that too. Generate a world with "applenova" and just live with it (zomg trolls!) or keep trying new seeds until spawn is someplace reasonable (ie: not in the middle of a desert/Enderman territory).

With the 1.9 seed I would like to get together with everyone and kind of discuss planning before everyone scatters to the farthest points on the map. Mostly along the lines of sand-mining territory (I think we should have a dedicated area instead of raping wherever), a cohesive skyway structure (and rails that go along with that), township (if possible built around spawn - or not if it's ugly ), personal boundaries (please don't build within x blocks from me if I'm not downtown), and a general refresh of what we all love about this game (working together and having lol-worthy adventures).
Second!

We have so many people now we should be judicial with the new world. I think people can guess that I prefer to have a taiga biome for my home base with a bit of land as a buffer. If I can find one with a river ravine... Mine!

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 18:06

Indeed - and that's the thing. If biomes are twice as big* (or 4x as big if you're a pixel counter like me) the world can't help but be exponentially biggar. That's why I think we need to all do a virtual sit-down, at least for the beginning stage. Maybe further on we decide we need a SSD and the monies like we did last time. Nobody knows at this point, obviously, but I can see that bigger biomes=bigger exploration=bigger world ... which is a good reason to limit the overlap time as well.

I don't know. Just putting ideas out there.

* They could be 4 or 6 or 8 or whatever times as big. There's no answers out there as far as I've found.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-08, 18:52

No objections -- first building should probably be a council chamber of some sort for meetings/mail. I am thinking circular.
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 18:55

God I hate circles.....
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 19:09

I'd like it if the new spawn was in a forest biome, honestly. That way we could have green all-round, Brad could accidentally burn down all of the trees like in the old days, and our new city could grow naturally on a nice, large grassy plot. Or maybe a swamp biome since that seems fairly flat.

I know we've mentioned "new world, new buildings" but if it's possible to get the the 25% completed museum transported over to the new world I'd be thrilled. It was meant as a venue for everyone, and I totally believed an earlier Notch post that we wouldn't have to regen. If I thought we'd have to regen on 1.8 (and 1.9) I would've waited, honestly. It may be selfish to ask that, I know. It's not like I'm asking for any finished structures to slip through the gate. But whatever. If a majority says nay I can live with that too.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-08, 19:12

I suggest that we all get really drunk the first time we go into 1.8.

¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 19:15

Done.
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 19:16

Wait... when is 1.8?
¡Damned!

2011-09-08, 19:21

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-08, 20:25

Quote:
Wait... when is 1.8?
Maybe next Monday. Jeb was fixing stuff today, and he doesn't want to release on Friday.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 19:14

Oh snap, son. It's on.

Time for me to update my texture pack, though... lots of new stuff pushed in there has temporarily pushed me back to using the default textures.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh snap, son. It's on.
To clarify: only on my local machine. I won't be updating AN proper until Bukkit is ready and I've updated and tested the plugins we use.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-09, 19:37

Pics!!!! (moar)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-09, 19:37

Is variable height confirmed?