Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac Firewall.. Do you use it?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Firewall.. Do you use it?
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-01, 19:12

Should I start using this? According to my router I have 200 or so connections to my computer right now. How can that be? Surely there are some ports open, but how are these people connecting? SSH? How if they don't know my password (which is 10 characters of randomness)?

Should I use this? Do you use this? How can I keep fast connection to bit torrent with this enabled?

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-09-01, 19:44

Assuming you have Leopard or Snow Leopard, you can set up exceptions to the firewall to allow specific applications access in and out. Just add your BT client to the exception list.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-01, 20:11

If you want to exercise more control over the firewall, you can use Waterroof. This provides a GUI for ipfw, which is the firewall OSX uses. For a starting point, I used the ruleset from Securosis, with modifications where needed.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick

Last edited by tomoe : 2009-09-01 at 21:32.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-01, 21:17

I use it, set to "Set access for specific services...". I get a prompt whenever a new app wants to go on the internet (I think that's how it works).

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-09-01, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I use it, set to "Set access for specific services...". I get a prompt whenever a new app wants to go on the internet (I think that's how it works).
It did in Leopard. In Snow Leopard however it's either on or off. But you still get the prompt.