AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 7 of 12 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 20:30

Also, I'm taking a break from playing now for a bit to get the texture pack minimally up to date...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-10, 20:37

I gotta stop for now to. Off to do some school work.

However, I did an unclose shot of the lava flow for you BB. It's not a creeper blast. It was an Enderman for sure.

Wonder if bedrock would fix this......

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-10, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
are any of you on an ichat chatroom right now, since we're all exploring our own 1.8 worlds?

AIM seems to be down right now, actually. Or at least, is for me.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-10, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I gotta stop for now to. Off to do some school work.

However, I did an unclose shot of the lava flow for you BB. It's not a creeper blast. It was an Enderman for sure.

Wonder if bedrock would fix this......
Apparently, they can even move bedrock.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 21:03

Yep! Best video proof of that available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tMUgPvmv8

(Note: It suddenly gets loud. Keep the volume low at the start.)

But totally worth watching for the lulz.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-10, 21:14

Now that really is funny. Thanks for sharing that one...

Now what to do about our structures?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-10, 21:27

Never. Upgrade. Again.

EVAR.

...!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-10, 21:39

For the mob trap it might be as simple as making it only 2 high -- the Enderman won't spawn...

As for structures -- keep everything lit up as much as possible and there you go. I saw one die in the rain today. It was a sad way to go, even for an enderman.

Back to the mob trap -- interesting I wasn't expecting them to be able to pull a block from behind another one -- ie the only way that can occur is if they are capable of digging out beneath another block.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-10, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yep! Best video proof of that available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tMUgPvmv8

(Note: It suddenly gets loud. Keep the volume low at the start.)

But totally worth watching for the lulz.
That accent is fantastic. Gotta love me some Appalachian draw...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-10, 22:12

I neglected to make a bed at my first encampment, not realizing that we couldn't warp. My third spot is atop a massive, towering pinnacle. I think I may be safe now. Well, after seeing sky ranch in ruins I suppose "safe" is a relative term...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-10, 23:09

Here is a link to some video footage I got so you can see the difference on some things with 1.8. Cave/undergound lighting stands out the most to me. Chest being wrong right now too, even though they operate normally.
SD | HD

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-10, 23:21

Quote:
Gah! I've been searching for hours (running most times) across different worlds trying to find an NCP village and found nothing so far. And THIS GUY spawns next to one on his first shot?

Seed: -5712734613506477306
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-10, 23:38

I think my favorite part of this thread is that turtle is embarrassed to say how many kids he has.

Quote:
Ok, anyone care to post the "to busy being full time student, full time work and wife with x kids" to look for it link?
Can we assume, due to the presence of a single "x," that it is a single-digit number? Or is the "x" perhaps a Roman numeral?

You don't have to tell us, of course.* It just seemed like a funny thing to censor out.

*) Though if you don't we're all totally going to assume the worst, so you should totally fess up. Is it reality show material? "Mom and Dad want to live in peace on their Minecraft server — but can they escape from their 53 kids?" *montage of toddlers fighting and screaming* "Find out on Yours and 'Mine,' Wednesdays on TLC!"

Because I would totally watch that show. As long as it was on after What Not To Wear, because Clinton's dress sense is the only thing that can persuade me to switch to TLC. He's such a charmer! His job is telling women that they dress like a ho, and forty minutes later they're in total agreement and giving him a hug. Every time I try that it doesn't work out so well. Even if I copy his exact outfit!

What's his secret? Is it the super-cute wrinkles around his eyes? It's the wrinkles, isn't it?

Oh, and /kidbecauseilove /dontbanmeplz

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-10, 23:40

hmmm, this duplication bug is starting to get to me. I may have to seek professional help....
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-11, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Wheee! Try this guys!
Smash your economy in seconds!
Go to crafting table.
Place item in crafting table.
Leave crafting table, let item drop to ground.
Pick item up.
Enter inventory.
Right click on item.
Right click on empty spot in inventory.
Repeat as needed
Let me clarify:

The crafting table will drop a block which is an infinite source, it appears after a short time -- using this block you can fill your entire inventory, dump it into a chest, and start again with the same block. It doesn't stack with other blocks, but it can be used to create stacks simply by clicking repeatedly on a single inventory slot.

From my experience playing around with Creative Mode -- this is likely a bug that has crossed modes. Since bonemeal and other similar blocks are missing from the super inventory in creative mode, I had to generate some from bone and needed a crafting table to do it. There is clearly some ill-conceived programming going on here -- when in the crafting table in Creative Mode you actually see your normal expanded inventory, except that all of the collected blocks are actually infinite sources. I suspect there are wires crossed somewhere here ...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-11, 08:21

I've been trying to follow the first example. I'll re-read BB's advice and see if it works. The one thIng that I HAVE noticed with the crafting table is that if you leave something on the table and then click out of it, you'll pick the items back up, but often you'll see ghost blocks stay floating above the table. I realize this morning that I've been using Brad's texture pack, which is why I can't see some things, like the corndog menu.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 12:24

I haven't been able to get that bug working in multiplayer survival mode.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 12:32

You say this like it's a bad thing? That one is surely one Notch and Jeb will work to squash before releasing 1.8 proper.

Different bugs manifest in SSP versus SMP. They're not identical code bases. For instance, SMP almost never crashes on me due to the achievements bug, but SMP does other bugs not in SSP like the Endermen not behaving correctly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 12:40

Quote:
You say this like it's a bad thing? That one is surely one Notch and Jeb will work to squash before releasing 1.8 proper.

Different bugs manifest in SSP versus SMP. They're not identical code bases. For instance, SMP almost never crashes on me due to the achievements bug, but SMP does other bugs not in SSP like the Endermen not behaving correctly.
No it isn't a bad thing. I just like being able to get in on the fun when I can.

Speaking of, Robo, the reason I left out the number of kids was more due to a certain level of anonymity. Not that I'm worried about you guys thinking I'm giving the Dugger family a run for their money. I'll tell you in game some time. Remind me.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-11, 12:52

Quote:
Speaking of, Robo, the reason I left out the number of kids was more due to a certain level of anonymity.
I assumed as such. I was just messing with you. <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
Not that I'm worried about you guys thinking I'm giving the Dugger family a run for their money.
53 KIDS CONFIRMED.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-11, 12:56

I've been having fun playing with the seed names in SSP. Unfortunately we don't have all the biomes (particularly snow), so I can't get the full affect. For some reason the seeds seem to prefer taiga biomes as a spawn, so that's awesome. I did manage to get a water world one with only small islands and vast stretches of ocean in all directions.

I haven't found a stronghold yet, but have found numerous chasms, abandoned mine shafts, and NPC villages.

Anybody know about the new sound effect that sounds like a cross between a gong and drum (short, about 3 seconds long)? I've been getting it at random in different seeds as I walk across the landscape.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2011-09-11 at 17:35.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-11, 13:16

Its the dark cave nearby sound.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 14:15

Pssst... I updated my texture pack for the beta 1.8 pre-release...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 14:20

Oh, and be sure to watch the title screen once you select the new pack!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 15:01

BTW, here is how close my spawn was to the town in my random seed I posted earlier:
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-11, 15:04

Nice....

I am guessing from the looks of some of my really old maps that sea level is now one lower?

There's a cool lava-fall into a water pool on this map

at 122 54 299

Edit: At least there was in my original map -- it is easily recreated of course, just cool terrain there.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-11, 15:05

Quote:
BTW, here is how close my spawn was to the town in my random seed I posted earlier:
Is that village under water?

Speaking of water -- anyone else noticed that you can actually see pretty deep into water now?

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-09-11 at 15:15.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Is that village under water?
Ah, Venice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Speaking of water -- anyone else noticed that you can actually see pretty deep into water now?
Yep! Oceans go really deep.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-11, 15:23

After hours and hours of exploring the Applenova seed, I haven't seen a village yet. Do we want villages? Maybe (gulp) we should use a different seed?

There are some cool mountains, though, and earlier I managed to get out of sight of land in all directions, which was a new experience in Minecraft.

Thoughts?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
After hours and hours of exploring the Applenova seed, I haven't seen a village yet. Do we want villages? Maybe (gulp) we should use a different seed?
You guys can use whatever you want, but "Applenova" isn't going to be the server seed.