Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What book are you reading now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What book are you reading now?
Page 1 of 18 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
specter

2007-02-20, 08:35

I'm reading The Forsythe Saga by Galsworthy. It's absolutely great! The language is unique. Real English at the height of it's blossom.... It was The Man of Property that John Galsworthy was awarded Nobel Prize for. And what are you reading now?
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-20, 08:38

Outside of A WHOLE BUNCH OF SHIT for my degree, I've just finished re-reading White Noise by Don Delillo and Heavier than Heaven by Charles R. Cross. Both really really good books - the former particularly (don't like the way Cross hugs Courtney Love all the way through Heavier Than Heaven).
specter

2007-02-20, 09:01

And the previous one i have just finished reading was Lord of The Rings by Tolkien. It was really interesting, but sometimes his style seems too bookish...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 09:08

I just finished Notes From a Turkish Whorehouse by Philip Ó Ceallaigh. It's the bleakest collection of short stories I've read in a long ass time. Will Self wrote a short story a few years back called Chest (it was his book Grey Area) that has the same tone as a lot of the stories in Notes.... If you don't know what I mean than I'll just say that the stories are fucking suffocating. It's a great book if you're into that kind of writing but it's not something you'd want to spend the day reading on a leisurely Sunday.

Now I'm reading Athlon's Baseball Guide for 2007. Spring Training just started so I need to bone up on my stats.

Last edited by InactionMan : 2007-02-20 at 14:44.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-02-20, 09:24

Vampire chronicles : The vampire Lestat

The best book I ever read. Great story through the 5 books but this one is the best. I got other books from the serie I didn't read yet like Armand the vampire, Pandora, blood canticles,... maybe later

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 09:36

East of Eden, John Steinbeck.

I'm only 50 pages in; excellent so far. Beautiful writing at times.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-02-20, 09:52

Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. Just finished Term Limits by Vince Flynn. I just found out about him and decided to read hi series of Mitch Rapp books. The first one he wrote, Term Limits, isn't a Mitch Rapp one but it is fantastic in my opinion. Had me unable to put it down at times, which is not really helping with all my midterms this week.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-02-20, 10:14

Just finished Michael Lewis' The Blind Side. If you like football, it is a must read. Great story and very funny.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-02-20, 10:21

I'll begin Fight Club eventually. This will be the first book I'll read in english. Doesn't seems too tough and as I know the movie pretty well (english version too), it will help.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-20, 11:18

Olympos by Dan Simmons, author of Hyperion Cantos.
Bringing the Trojan War into the age of nano.
Was hard to get started on the first book, Ilium, but once you understand what's happening it's great fun.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 13:04

Applenova
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-02-20, 13:42

A Brave New World. One of those that everyone seems to have to read.

I enjoy it though
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-02-20, 13:46

A walk in the woods - Bryson. (Bill Bryson )
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-02-20, 13:49

Ooh! I read A Short History of (nearly) Everything by Bryson. He is an excellent writer
Anonymous Coward

2007-02-20, 13:51

Wolves eat dogs by Martin Cruz Smith.

Mr. Smith visited Chernobyl to do research for this novel. It is the latest in a series featuring Russian Inspector Arkady Renko that began with Gorky Park (1981).
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 13:52

A short history of nearly everything is one of the best books of the decade in my opinion. It makes science so interesting and accessible and in a wonderfully easy and enjoyable way. A must read.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-02-20, 15:14

I'm reading Stephen King's Pet Semetary, Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange, and Photoshop/Premiere instructional manuals.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-20, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Vampire chronicles : The vampire Lestat

The best book I ever read. Great story through the 5 books but this one is the best. I got other books from the serie I didn't read yet like Armand the vampire, Pandora, blood canticles,... maybe later

Yeah, I liked The Vampire Lestat quite a bit too. I thought Tales of the Body Thief was pretty good. But after that, I got burned out on the series and never went back. Nor have I sampled any of her other stuff.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-20, 15:56

I'm reading a massive George R.R. Martin anthology, which is pretty good. I just read Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson.

The best thing I've read recently was Cryptnomicon by Neal Stephenson. Which is odd, because I don't like any of his other books. Bizarre.

And my user name is (indirectly) inspired by Mr Bill Bryson, in case you were wondering. Basically I named my cat after him, and then I took my username from my cat - because at least half of what was typed was typed by him, trying to sit on the keyboard.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 16:10

Quote:
And my user name is (indirectly) inspired by Mr Bill Bryson, in case you were wondering. Basically I named my cat after him, and then I took my username from my cat - because at least half of what was typed was typed by him, trying to sit on the keyboard.
I always wondered that....
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-20, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by specter View Post
I'm reading The Forsythe Saga by Galsworthy. It's absolutely great! The language is unique. Real English at the height of it's blossom.... It was The Man of Property that John Galsworthy was awarded Nobel Prize for. And what are you reading now?
I read The Forsyte Saga when I was 16. It took me awhile to get through it, but it was definitely worth it.

That was the year I got hooked on British literature, and it all started because I saw the title Return of the Native on a reading list, and I thought it sounded like it might have sexy stuff in it. haha

I had visions of tropical isles, scantily clad native peoples, and outrageous carryings-on. Boy, was 'that' ever a misleading title. But I proceeded to get hooked on Thomas Hardy, and ended up reading more of his stuff - Mayor of Casterbridge, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, etc.

Those books turned out to be instrumental when I was interviewing for the honors program just as I was getting ready to start university. I did get into that program, and it was an excellent series of courses indeed - with outstanding professors. All of which eventually culminated in my getting a master's degree in 19th century British Literature.

I just finished reading Rumpole and the Primrose Path - about a crusty old defense lawyer at the Old Bailey in London. Honestly, I thought the tv series episodes (on DVD) were better than the book versions of the stories. Oh well.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-02-20, 17:13

I just finished reading Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Glass Empires.
¡Damned!

2007-02-20, 18:48

Penny Arcade v1: Attack of the Bacon Robots
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-02-20, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Yeah, I liked The Vampire Lestat quite a bit too. I thought Tales of the Body Thief was pretty good. But after that, I got burned out on the series and never went back. Nor have I sampled any of her other stuff.
Yeah Tales of the Body Thief was pretty good as you said. I thought Queen of the Damned was awsome. I liked it a little bit more than TotBT with all the historical side and the egypt thing. But I got to add that the movie total suck. That is the worst movie out of a book I ever see.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-20, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
A walk in the woods - Bryson. (Bill Bryson )
I loved his European vacation book, Neither Here Nor There. Based on everyones comments here I'll have to give A Short History of Nearly Everything a go.

As for what I'm currently reading, The Know it All: One Man's Humble Quest to become the Smartest Person in the World. Basically this guy read the Britanica and this is his collection of thoughts on the experience and some of the interesting things he learned. He comes across as a narcissistic jerk, but I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or honest. Either way, I'm in the M's and I'm loosing interest.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-20, 19:59

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers

The Sundance Reader

And Understanding Electronics for a personal project I'm working on. It is a great reference for me.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-02-20, 20:08

The Narrow Road to Deep North

It's a bunch of Haiku written by a Japanese poet during the 1600s. It's for school, but it's pretty interesting
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-02-20, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Olympos by Dan Simmons, author of Hyperion Cantos.
Bringing the Trojan War into the age of nano.
Was hard to get started on the first book, Ilium, but once you understand what's happening it's great fun.
Just finished that. Thought it was excellent.

Simmons has a few others that are equally worth the hours.

Now reading: Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut - 1959

Also worth curling up with.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-20, 21:42

Ahhhhh... I do love book threads.

They are so inspiring.

But I also get the feeling that there are SO many books... and so little time.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2007-02-20, 23:01

I'm reading Toni Morrison's "Beloved" at the moment. Required book for my lit class.

While I tend not to enjoy mandatory reading like this, simply due to the fact that I'm being forced into it, I rather like it so far. Morrison has a really interesting writing style and throws in some rather jarring (intentionally, I assume) transitions from flashbacks to current conversation. Very visual, I can almost picture someone getting lost in memory and then sort of coming to.

We'll see how I enjoy it further down the line, though, especially once I have to start taking tests on it, haha.