AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Dark circles under the eyes...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dark circles under the eyes...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 14:32

I've noticed the past several months that I seem to have darker "hollows" below my eyes. Some days (like today) it's worse than others. Just very dark, almost as if I've taken a punch (I haven't). I've even had a couple of friends comment on it recently, so I know it's noticeable to others, compared to how I've looked in the past.

I don't always get the best, most restful sleep, so I assume that's part of it. I'm trying to remedy that, and I've been sleeping more soundly at night the past week or so by changing a few things.

Not to get all fussy and foo-foo about it (I'm not going to be slicing cucumber eye pillows, or engaging in some sort of pain-in-the-ass daily regimen of creams and concealers...that's just not my bag, baby), but I was wondering if anyone here knew of some sort of simple, once-a-day, over-the-counter product that is proven to reduce or fade (not mask/conceal...I'm not looking for temporary, obvious-looking makeup) dark, under-eye circles and/or puffiness? I'm not sure if it's an eye- or skin-related type of deal...not sure where to begin or focus my search. I suppose I could go to Walgreen's and walk the aisles, but who knows what really works or does what it says.

I'm not a vain man at all, and I don't get torqued-up over such things (I like my little "eye crinkles" when I smile, and I think the ever-increasing silver in my temples is a pretty snazzy look), but I just caught a glimpse of me in the bathroom mirror and I scared the hell out of myself...I looked like the walking dead (and it's not even Halloween yet).

But seriously, I don't want to look so tired and beat-up (because I'm neither). If I was an amateur boxer working third shift, I'd be a bit more okay with it...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-10-22 at 14:45.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-22, 14:36

Well, are you going to bed and waking up at a regular time? I'm told that if you have irregular bedtime/awaking time, this can seriously mess up your sleeping pattern and make you look more tired (even if you feel otherwise).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 14:40

Unfortunately, I've got the most random, WTF bedtime/waking up routine ever. I assume that's factoring in. It's all over the place, even within a given week. I've gone to bed at 8:30 on a weekend, and I've stayed up until 2:30am on a weeknight. I'll wake up at 5:00am some days, 9:30am others. Some nights I toss and turn (but less, here lately), and some nights I conk out and sleep straight through to the alarm.

I suppose I should really buckle down and set a firm "go to bed/wake up" schedule, huh? Maybe that would do more than any product.

Damn, I just look rough today. Like a truck ran over me.

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-10-22, 14:43

Sleeping pills, no man should ever sleep without them. You think you sleep well now? Wait until you try them.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-10-22, 14:47

might want to get some blood work done...just to make sure your crit and iron and such are ok...anemia and vitamin deficiencies can show as dark circles..

probably just lack of sleep, maybe too much beer....or that you're getting older...but a quick blood test is no biggie

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
Sleeping pills, no man should ever sleep without them. You think you sleep well now? Wait until you try them.
Well I don't want to turn into Johnny Cash or something. I'm not nuts about the whole "take a pill for whatever bugs you" type of mentality (I blame that on about 58% of the problems currently facing the nation and world, in fact...people zonked out on God-knows-what, and going through life overmedicated and using all this stuff as crutches, and it all just spiraling into a prescription hell; and I know plenty of people in this boat, so I know it's a real, valid issue. But that's a whole other thread...).

If you were joking/being a wise-ass, then nevermind.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
might want to get some blood work done...just to make sure your crit and iron and such are ok...anemia and vitamin deficiencies can show as dark circles..

probably just lack of sleep, maybe too much beer....or that you're getting older...but a quick blood test is no biggie

g
I may do that. Thanks. Definitely wouldn't be the beer...I don't drink that much at all (and I'll go weeks and weeks and not touch a drink). I think I just need to get better sleep, on a more set schedule, drink more water (not sure what that has to do with anything, but I know it's good for me), etc.

Perhaps a daily vitamin supplement. I don't eat veggies like I should. Hell, it's probably all fixable if I'd just eat and sleep better.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-10-22, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
No kidding. I took some of my mother-in-law's hydromorphone (8mg, and not a sleeping pill) and holy crapoly, talk about a knockout punch. Felt like I had gone downtown or something. Feel like a zombie today though so it's probably not a great 'dark hollow' reducer.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-22, 14:54

Damn.
I didn't read you post until after I posted a thread about moisturizers.
Dude, we're getting old.
O-L-D
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-10-22, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Damn.
I didn't read you post until after I posted a thread about moisturizers.
Dude, we're getting old.
O-L-D
Yea, I was waiting for an "MA" post (that's metrosexual anonymous, not Mature Audiences) in this thread too.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-22, 14:57

They make creams for under your eyes to help get rid of bags. I can't say I know of any others than an organic one I got with some stuff that I bought. I have been using it but I can't say I've really seen a difference. Then again I'm 21, and it's probably not targeted at me since I don't really think I need it to begin with.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Yea, I was waiting for an "MA" post (that's metrosexual anonymous, not Mature Audiences) in this thread too.
Oh, put a sock in it!

I've already stated that I'm not bothered by lines, wrinkles and greying hair ("turn grey, just don't turn loose!" ). I just hate looking as though I've been kicked in the eyes by a kangaroo. It's nowhere near as distinguished-looking as silver flecks and a few lines around the eyes.

You guys are going to see me and Drew on QVC one evening, hawking our skin and eye cream...wearing cardboard, of course. With lots of spangles and fringe...

I guess I'm just getting old. I always, in my mind, imagine myself as 26 or something. I'm knocking on 40.

The years are rolling by me, they are rocking evenly; I am older than I once was...

Bonus points to whoever identifies the lyric/song...SKMDC? My money's on you.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-22, 15:29

lie la lie, lie lie lie lie lie la lie lie la lie.....

The Boxer.
easy....

About your eyes, the circles at any rate, allergies? a lot of sneezing/nose blowing coughing can break the blood vessels under your eyes.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-22, 15:56

Go to Costco, Paul, and buy some vitamins.

Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Fish Oil capsules
Kirkland Multi-vitamin

Take with food.

Also, kick yourself in the backside and start eating better - fish, brown rice, lentils, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.

That oughta help clear up those dark circles in a few months.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-22, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I guess I'm just getting old. I always, in my mind, imagine myself as 26 or something. I'm knocking on 40.
Sir, I just knocked up 40 and she's having my baby.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-22, 16:02

I'd go with Carol's suggestion, drink more water, and above all; make sure you're having adequate sleep. That more than anything should help.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-22, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I'd go with Carol's suggestion, drink more water, and above all; make sure you're having adequate and regular sleep. That more than anything should help.
T, TFTY.

I recall a nurse telling me that it would actually be preferable to have regular but shorter sleeps than irregular but long sleeps, because the body likes the rhythm and can function much better with consistency. I also recall when I was in psychology class, a study showed that people who work rotating shifts (e.g. days for a period, nights other periods) generally had shorter lifespan than people who consistently worked night shifts (who were slightly short-lived than those who worked days).

Of course, that's all hearsay, ancetdoal evidence, and all that jazz. Take this with a grain of salt and do homework. Take two aspirins and a glass of water, rest and see your doctor tomorrow.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2007-10-22, 16:20

Im going to jump on board here as I have the same problem.

I also always have bloodshot eyes. Im not talking bright red but its noticible to me at least and Im sure it is to others too. Does anyone have any remedies for or ideas why this might be happening? I'll be the first to admit I dont have the best sleep routine, but Im young(ish) and dont think I am that much worse off for sleep than others my age, probably 6 hours per night.

I can take pictures if anyone wants
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-22, 16:25

TTIUWOP

For what it's worth; 6 hours isn't adequate. You should aim for 8. I should also aim to take my own advice
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post

The Boxer.
easy....
Not for most. I don't think that verse is on the recorded version (at least not from the "Bridge Over Trouble Water" album I have it on, and first heard the song). I never heard it until the Central Park reunion concert...I thought it was beautiful. I've heard it a few times since, when he's played it live. Sometimes he includes it, sometimes he doesn't.
¡Damned!

2007-10-22, 17:55

I have the same problem every now and again, generally from a combination of insomnia and partying like a rock star. And also like you I'm not a pill taker (I don't even like taking aspirin), so I'm not about to take a sleep-aid. Pills are meant to be used recreationally in my book, not something to be taken everyday.

Anyways, I use L'Oreal Men's Expert Circle Eraser. Not everyday, just when I look up from brushing my teeth and think I look a little dark under the eyes. I also use L'Oreal's Vita Lift Moisturizer. I probably don't put it on as much as I should, but when I think about it I'll use it after shaving.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 18:25

Thanks...I'll look into that circle eraser.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-10-22, 18:26

I was prescribed Zimovane (Zopiclone) for a short while a few months ago to help me fall asleep: the first and hopefully last time I tried sleeping tablets. It is phenomenally effective: one pill and I was sound asleep within half an hour, and awake the next morning feeling alert and much more refreshed than normal. Therefore, I strongly suggest you never try it if you have even the slightest disposition to addiction. The only downside was a strong metallic taste in the mouth until early afternoon.

From your description of your sleep patterns I'd guess it's just a sleep/stress thing. Daily or near-daily exercise may go a long way towards aiding you sleep.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-10-22, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post

The Boxer.
easy....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYIgg2KPj0

From his 2006 tour, which I saw him kick off at the NOLA JazzFest. Same audience participation on the "lie la lie" chorus...

This is a better video, but it cuts off the last bit of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzVgGSB_prA
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-22, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Not for most. I don't think that verse is on the recorded version (at least not from the "Bridge Over Trouble Water" album I have it on, and first heard the song). I never heard it until the Central Park reunion concert...I thought it was beautiful. I've heard it a few times since, when he's played it live. Sometimes he includes it, sometimes he doesn't.
Emmylou does an outstanding version of it on Roses in the Snow.
Growing up S & G were part of the musical canon in our household, it's all consciousness now, like the Beatles and the Stones(my brother), the Supremes, Motown, Carpenters and Carole King (my sister), when you are one of the young children in the family you get stuff through osmosis, by that I mean you listen to what your older siblings listen to and shut up about it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-10-22, 19:49

three things:

Enough daily water intake, iron intake (spinach, fish), and sleep.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 19:53

Same here, except it was through my parents (I have only one, younger sister). They had me when they were quite young, so while all my friends had parents who were well into their 30's (and sometimes 40's) and not big into rock/pop and its various offshoots, my Mom and Dad were only in their mid-and-upper 20's during my formative years, and K-6 schooling. They had an amazing record collection - rock, country, blues, bluegrass, folk, pop and R&B from the 50's, 60's and 70's - that just seeped into me during those years, and it's why I still like so many of the people I do.

I guarantee you I was the only third grader who could sing any one of 15-20 Buddy Holly songs. Or even knew who he was (I was a liner note junkie...screw Dick, Jane and Spot).

But that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album was always one of my favorites, and I'd listen all the time...still do. "Cecelia" was on there, as was "Baby Driver"[/url], "Keep the Customer Satisfied" (where I learned what the words "slander" and "libel" meant...I looked them up), "The Only Living Boy in New York" and, of course, the title track. I love that album. It's so pretty and just puts me in a mood everytime I listen (bought it on CD - and eventually digitized it - as I grew up...the LP is still at Mom's somewhere; I should go find it).
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-10-22, 19:54

....or, you may just be prone to dark eyes. I am. Nothing I do will shift them - I look like I've had a good kicking most of the time. Luckily, I wear glasses, so it hides it pretty well most of the time. My father and brother (and my father's father) are just the same - it's just something to get used to.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 20:06

But does it come on gradually, or something you just always had? I used to not have them so much. Seems like a somewhat recent development. If my peepers start getting bad or weak (if they haven't by now, after 15 of my face stuck in a monitor and voracious magazine reading and crosswords, I don't know if they ever will), maybe some snazzy, retro-styled eyeglasses will camouflage it a bit.

That's me...the only person in the world wanting glasses, if it'll mask his dark circles.

Maybe I am a vain little so-and-so. Hmmm...

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-10-22, 20:13

I don't have bags under my eyes. I have luggage.