Page 6 of 11 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-04-12, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I'm sure you realize it doesn't matter.

Companies have a reasonable timeframe after announcement to release a product. Constrained supplies also generate hype and a sense of urgency from potential buyers.
Your point is completely unrelated to mine.

But nice for you to also brag how much you spent on the apple watch. Enjoy.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-13, 04:09

Unrelated in what sense? What you've suggested has no positive outcome for Apple. For every person who decides not to buy after a try-on session due to availability, there will be even more that can barely wait. For example I was leaning toward not buying one.

You're acting as if this doesn't happen with every new Apple product intro. I'm pretty sure iPhone availability is basically nil at Apple Stores for weeks after official release.

Furthermore there are 30 SKUs for the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport. Apple probably realized how hopeless it would have been attempting to stock all 30 during the first few weeks. It was definitely the right decision to force all the early adopters to order online.

I do think they could streamline inventory by selling most watches and bands separately with only the most popular Sport models being bundled.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-04-13 at 14:20.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-04-13, 08:13

I predict that a year from now that you'll both find out the answer. Why not bet some beer on it, since you're both so committed to your positions? I'd be happy to act as your escrow agent and will send you both a shipping address to my holding facility.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-13, 14:24

Care to guess what MacBook availability is like right now? >Month long lead times are nothing new and by design.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-04-13, 14:46

Crazy that if I ordered right now, I wouldn't be getting a MacBook for 4-6 weeks and an Apple Watch Sport until June.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-04-13, 15:31

Pft. You guys will probably be busy preordering the 2nd version before we get a chance at the first one here in Denmark.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-04-13, 16:14

So I'm just going to chime in here and mention that I checked the Watch out at my local Apple monger on Saturday. Count me among the "cool, I guess, don't really need something like that" camp.

And but, you know, um...... all of a sudden I kind of want one. I mean, I'm sure there are lurking issues with actual ownership, but just from a few minutes of playing with one it felt right, and good, and fun, and.... well, like Robo said, it's about how it makes you feel. And in the feels department, I think Apple (as per usual) pretty much nailed it.

I had my doubts, reading the various online reviews and caveats and "maybe this time Apple isn't quite sure what they're doing" type think pieces. I read that the UI wasn't intuitive, that a smart watch is the answer to a question no one is asking, that apps were half finished, that $350 (much less $500 or $750 or $10,000) is too much to pay for a bauble that does nothing my phone doesn't already do.

And maybe that's all true. But when I tried one on, when I played with the tethered demos, when I observed how they looked on other people-- it seemed to make sense. The glances and digital crown and force touch and all of it. Just seemed like I could see myself rocking a space grey aluminum with a black band.

Reality distortion field? Random acquisitiveness? Dunno. But I think they're going to sell a lot of these (apparently they already have), and I didn't necessarily think that before I saw one in person. I thought maybe it was really going to be Apple's first big stumble, post-Steve. Now I think it's going to do to the smart watch category what the iPhone did to the smartphone. Not in absolute numbers, of course, but in disruption and by defining what a smart watch should be. Look for everyone else to start moving towards Apple's take, all the while loudly denouncing any talk of copying-- because, you know, they already had watches on the market something something sheep.

At one point I was looking at the new MacBook tethered to an iPad mini which had an iPhone 6 next to it and was within eyeshot of the Watch and I felt the old fever rise up. Everything was just so fucking nice, you know? All beautifully engineered, meticulously constructed, every more seamlessly compatible, ever lighter, thinner.... Like Paul, I haven't really been feeling it for a while, maybe that's just age, but right at that moment it seemed like Apple can keep taking market share and kicking ass for as long as they want. There is nobody, and I mean nobody, that is doing what Apple is doing right now. I don't think anybody can, without a billion dollars in investment and a couple of years. Nobody else even wants to, they don't see the point.

Sorry for the unabashed fanboy outburst. I can see why someone who wasn't much into "nice" finds this shit embarrassing. BECAUSE THEY ARE SOULLESS DOGS.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-13, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
But nice for you to also brag how much you spent on the apple watch. Enjoy.
I was afraid we'd see posts like this.

Considering this is a thread for discussing the Apple Watch, I'd hope we could, you know, discuss our Apple Watches, without being accused of bragging. You know, like in any other thread. Is it bragging when an 5K iMac comes out and people post their excitement and impressions? Is it bragging when people ask advice on what options to add to their already-$2,000 MacBook Pro? I spent less on my Apple Watch than I did on my iPhone, and nobody was accusing people of bragging just for talking about their new iPhones last September.

Eugene didn't call attention to how much he spent, or even mention the price; you just knew what he spent from knowing the prices. I don't think he was trying to show off, or shame anybody for being a have-not, or whatever. Jesus.

Anyway, while I'm sure Apple would rather have an infinite supply of watches to sell to walk-ins and people trying them on, in the real world I'm pretty sure the device selling out for months before anyone outside the press even sees it in person falls into the category of "good problems to have."

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-04-13, 19:50

Agree. That was tiptoeing into personal criticism a bit too far.

Listen: anything that happens with a new Apple product in its first season hardly matters because of the company's refinement cycle.

We already know what we think of early adopters, even when we ARE the early adopters.

I might be a candidate by the 3rd revision, but until then I value reading the experiences of our friends who have made the initial leap.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-14, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I was afraid we'd see posts like this.

Considering this is a thread for discussing the Apple Watch, I'd hope we could, you know, discuss our Apple Watches, without being accused of bragging. You know, like in any other thread. Is it bragging when an 5K iMac comes out and people post their excitement and impressions? Is it bragging when people ask advice on what options to add to their already-$2,000 MacBook Pro? I spent less on my Apple Watch than I did on my iPhone, and nobody was accusing people of bragging just for talking about their new iPhones last September.

Eugene didn't call attention to how much he spent, or even mention the price; you just knew what he spent from knowing the prices. I don't think he was trying to show off, or shame anybody for being a have-not, or whatever. Jesus.
you know it's interesting.... i simply posted what my initial emotion was following reading his post. However, before i clicked submit I realized the reaction for what it was but I thought it was important and interesting to post and see the reaction from everyone else. Will envy be accepted? Will there be shared jealousy? What will the reaction be to the first person who admits to paying $999 for one? Or an Edition model?

Reality is that I'm probably not alone, most people just won't be honest about it.

I find it to be the weirdest aspect of the Apple Watch and a very weird position for Apple to be in. They really are selling the tiers of watch off of the natural lust/status/envy/economic status of human beings. Same function.... $16,600 price spread.

I think Apple wants reactions like mine. And frankly, I am jealous. The stainless steel is indeed a nicer watch, but it is also a symbol of being able to afford a nicer watch. I can't. or, at least I won't let myself.

While trying on the watches with coworkers they made jokes about the Edition and how ridiculous it was. But, when I asked them if they would recognize a 15,000 rolex on a man's wrist, or a 17,000 Apple Watch Edition they both said they would instantly recognize the Edition.

Apple products and its marketing are engrained in pop culture these days. If you are rich and want to flaunt it, wearing an Apple Watch Edition will do it better than ANY other watch you could buy. The Stainless Steel is similar, but at a more middle class level.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-15, 00:44

Of the four people who acknowledged their pre-orders, my total is nowhere near the highest. That's what this thread is for, right? Talking about the watch and our thoughts/preferences? You reacted as usual when I was simply indicating my approval for / excitement over the titular product.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-04-15 at 00:54.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-15, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Of the four people who acknowledged their pre-orders, my total is nowhere near the highest. That's what this thread is for, right? Talking about the watch and our thoughts/preferences?
Are you suggesting that my comments are somehow not related to the watch and my thoughts and preferences?
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-15, 01:04

Your personal attack? Yep, completely unrelated.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-15, 05:26

Quote:
you know it's interesting.... i simply posted what my initial emotion was following reading his post. However, before i clicked submit I realized the reaction for what it was but I thought it was important and interesting to post and see the reaction from everyone else. Will envy be accepted? Will there be shared jealousy? What will the reaction be to the first person who admits to paying $999 for one? Or an Edition model?

Reality is that I'm probably not alone, most people just won't be honest about it.

I find it to be the weirdest aspect of the Apple Watch and a very weird position for Apple to be in. They really are selling the tiers of watch off of the natural lust/status/envy/economic status of human beings. Same function.... $16,600 price spread.

I think Apple wants reactions like mine. And frankly, I am jealous. The stainless steel is indeed a nicer watch, but it is also a symbol of being able to afford a nicer watch. I can't. or, at least I won't let myself.

While trying on the watches with coworkers they made jokes about the Edition and how ridiculous it was. But, when I asked them if they would recognize a 15,000 rolex on a man's wrist, or a 17,000 Apple Watch Edition they both said they would instantly recognize the Edition.

Apple products and its marketing are engrained in pop culture these days. If you are rich and want to flaunt it, wearing an Apple Watch Edition will do it better than ANY other watch you could buy. The Stainless Steel is similar, but at a more middle class level.
May I suggest that you are projecting quite a bit here? Honestly, his consumer choices do not impact you, nor do they restrict you from making other choices that would eliminate the jealousies that you openly admit to.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-15, 08:05

Celebs and valley types I can definitely see wearing Apple Watch Editions. Traditional watch geeks and the disgustingly rich are going to stick to the cachet of Holy Trinity Swiss movements.

Going SS came down to flexibility. The Apple Watch Sport only comes with an elastomer wristband and the frosted case clashes with the lugs on a Milanese loop, link bracelet, etc. Supposedly the Milanese loop is the second most ordered wristband, only trailing the black sport band. There's quite a few making the jump to SS.

I waffled a bit between 38mm and 42mm. Ultimately they both looked big, and the 42mm should offer better battery life.

Any bets on ASP for Apple Watch + accessories by the end of the quarter? I'll guess around $520.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-15, 10:37

I'm not surprised the Milanese loop is so popular. It's the band that was cheaper than I expected. Assuming I don't totally hate my Apple Watch, I'll probably order one eventually. I did like the way it felt.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-04-15, 11:52

The Milanese loop also has me intrigued as it looks beautiful. I just wonder if it can keep properly closed if the watch is accidentally pulled or get caught on something?

Also, du you guys think the current band interface will remain the same over the next few iterations of the watch? It would be smart if would remain the same like the 30-pin connector for some time, so that you don't also have to replace your favourite band just because you upgraded the watch itself.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-15, 12:08

mugge, good thought. I hope you're right about that, as well. I'm a fan of the leather loop in either black or "bright blue" (looked closer to navy blue in person).

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-04-15, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
The Milanese loop also has me intrigued as it looks beautiful. I just wonder if it can keep properly closed if the watch is accidentally pulled or get caught on something?

Also, du you guys think the current band interface will remain the same over the next few iterations of the watch? It would be smart if would remain the same like the 30-pin connector for some time, so that you don't also have to replace your favourite band just because you upgraded the watch itself.
The magnets in the Milanese Loop are very strong. A lot stronger than I thought they would be. It would take a pretty big tug to come loose.

I don't see the connectors for the watch bands changing. It's such a clever way to do so that I don't think they'd find another way.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2015-04-16, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post

I don't see the connectors for the watch bands changing. It's such a clever way to do so that I don't think they'd find another way.
New Apple Watch 2! 50% more battery life, dramatically thinner. Dramatically thinner watch bands requiring thinner connecter. Probably.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-16, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Well, Apple would have to start selling the watch without a band next year for that to really make the most sense. I don't see that happening, so I don't see Apple caring too much if they change the band interface unfortunately.

Quote:
Celebs and valley types I can definitely see wearing Apple Watch Editions. Traditional watch geeks and the disgustingly rich are going to stick to the cachet of Holy Trinity Swiss movements.

Going SS came down to flexibility. The Apple Watch Sport only comes with an elastomer wristband and the frosted case clashes with the lugs on a Milanese loop, link bracelet, etc. Supposedly the Milanese loop is the second most ordered wristband, only trailing the black sport band. There's quite a few making the jump to SS.

I waffled a bit between 38mm and 42mm. Ultimately they both looked big, and the 42mm should offer better battery life.

Any bets on ASP for Apple Watch + accessories by the end of the quarter? I'll guess around $520.
Apple artificially restricted the Sport options to be professionally (business) appealing. i.e.: no silver with a black band, and the space gray doesn't look good with the silver bands. Stuff like that is just annoying and makes me think Apple is really manipulating these sales too much.

it occurred to me after the release of the internal memo today that Apple may never sell all of the models in store. In fact, I'm starting to think they did it this way, not only due to restricted supply but so that they could accurately gauge the most popular models and only stock those come June.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-04-16, 16:54

Quote:
t occurred to me after the release of the internal memo today that Apple may never sell all of the models in store. In fact, I'm starting to think they did it this way, not only due to restricted supply but so that they could accurately gauge the most popular models and only stock those come June.
Obviously they have very little inventory right now but even if they did it would be a back of house nightmare for the stores to stock all of that inventory. They are having a hard enough time keeping those watches attached to the acrylics charged. The setup is only lasting a little more than 2 hours under average use and then has to be swapped out with freshly charged ones from the back. Most customers will have it shipped home or shipped to store.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-04-16, 21:31

I looked at these things at the mall on Wednesday and they're just too clunky looking for my tastes.

Lots of curious people looking at them.

No desire on my part.

All I can think of is how sweaty my arm would be under that giant rectangle.

When do you cats get your orders?

August?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-16, 21:54

Mine should arrive early May.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-17, 04:58

I'm waiting til I can buy one in the store or until availability improves to a 1 week shipping time.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-17, 11:41

Question: why would I preorder an Apple Watch at this point? Wouldn't I just want to wait until they arrive in stores, rather than place a hold on my credit card for 2 months in the amount of credit available to me? Most people, even if paying for the device outright, will put it on a card first due to rewards programs, etc. I've heard that the card isnt charged until the ship date, but the credit is reserved...

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-17, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Question: why would I preorder an Apple Watch at this point? Wouldn't I just want to wait until they arrive in stores, rather than place a hold on my credit card for 2 months in the amount of credit available to me? Most people, even if paying for the device outright, will put it on a card first due to rewards programs, etc. I've heard that the card isnt charged until the ship date, but the credit is reserved...
Not sure what your point or fear is?

If you preorder you are not charged. Whether there is a hold placed or not is kind of irrelevant unless you have a very low credit limit I suppose.

Why would you preorder? To get it as soon as possible. If you wait till you can purchase it in the stores you will get yours 1-2 months after those who preorder. I really do not see any probable chance of you getting it sooner in a store than if you were to place a preorder today.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-04-17, 13:07

They don't put a hold on your credit card.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-04-17, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
I don't have one on mine either.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-17, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
The credit is held in the amount that will be charged. I am not on the hook for the bill until the item ships, but the credit is reserved. That's how my card works...if it is swiped or charged online, the credit is reserved. For example, if I had a $1,000 limit and charged $100 to the card for a product that won't ship for weeks, the card's new credit limit would drop to $900. I would not owe even a minimum payment on that $100 purchase until it was finally charged, but the credit available on the card would be reduced.