Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When Neighbors Aren't Neighbors
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Partial
Stallion

2006-08-28, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I'd say you're seriously over reacting. There's a good chance they can tell you're seething too, which might explain the silence.

There's a big difference between a friendly hello and a cranky one.

Be happy they don't have parties all night and whip shitties on your front lawn, or walk down the street with lead pipes and chains screaming about how they're going to skull fuck some other neighbor as soon as his pussy ass comes outside.

Or that the kids aren't hopping the fence into your yard at 2am to sneak out of the house to go fuck their abusive boyfriend, who when he tries to talk to the girl gets his ass beat by her brother and father.

I've had all of that and more from neighbors, so to me quiet neighbors would be waaaaay down the list of things to get pissed off about.
There's a difference between quiet and rude, though. If he addresses them and they don't respond at all, that is very rude. My interpretation of this was he is being very friendly and civil and they are giving him a stone cold glare back.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-28, 15:51

sure, assuming that there isn't some slight we don't know about. crap like this is always more complex than it appears.

if nothing else just find a time when one of the parents are around and flat out ask them what the deal is. might be surprised with what you find out.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-08-28, 16:28

Quote:
sure, assuming that there isn't some slight we don't know about. crap like this is always more complex than it appears.
It's that zippered leather hood, bustier, and sling leather-chain harness with a strapon that Moogs is wearing that's really putting his neighbors off.

But seriously, a year is an awfully long time to never say hi or anything. That's just plain weird. Do they have any other family or friends that come over?

Either they're very antisocial (possibly even to an unhealthy extent) or they're in some witness protection program or something.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-08-28, 18:35

I don't mind my neighbors, all 50 of them. I live a house down from a sorority and the women are very, err, nice.

Also, my older neighbors bring us peaches and home-grown veggies (which are oh so good ) and I mow the lawns every now and again. I love how my mid-sized town operates like a rural town in some ways, a nice change from Suburbia.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-08-28, 21:08

Wow, loads-o-responses today.

Glad to see Chinney and eventhorizon sort of have the same take I do / can relate to what I'm saying. At least I'm not completely insane.

Mur: you know I did wear an Oilers jersey last Halloween. That's another thing. In this neighborhood everyone sort of does a front yard hang-out thing while the kids go trick-or-treating around the blocks. So I tried to join in, thinking I might have a chance to talk to them. They walked by my house.

Carol: it could be that they just hate dogs (I don't know), but it's not that my dogs make a ton of racket because my other neighbor probably would've said something to us. Either way at this point I'm only trying to teach my dogs good habits, not doing them any favors / trying to find an excuse to small talk.

I like Paul's idea, maybe I should look the wife up and down and ask her if she swings (pain me though it would).

...into the light of a dark black night.
Partial
Stallion

2006-08-29, 08:46

Quote:

if nothing else just find a time when one of the parents are around and flat out ask them what the deal is. might be surprised with what you find out.

I agree with that, while we're getting his black side of the story, i'm sure they have a white version themselves. Generally, the truth in these issues lies in the grey.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-29, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
It's that zippered leather hood, bustier, and sling leather-chain harness with a strapon that Moogs is wearing that's really putting his neighbors off.

Yeah Barracks, that's kinda what I thought too.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-29, 10:00

I just remembered a 'neighbor' problem I had with the neighbors on the south side of my house. (The dog problem was on the north side.)

My south neighbor's roof-mounted air conditioner unit is an unsightly beast that unfortunately faces my front door. (My front door is on the side of the house, which may sound weird, but its placement there allows for a rather cool and slightly unusual floorplan.)

At one point, his AC unit started making the most ungodly, really LOUD buzzing sound - a transformer or something? Well, I'm REALLY sensitive to sounds, and this one was just something I couldn't live with - harsh, insistent, and gratingly industrial in character.

I thought of installing a garden fountain nearby, with the hope that the splashing sound would cover up the unbelievably annoying buzzing. But no, I realized a fountain just wouldn't be enough.

So, I summoned up my courage and wrote a really nice letter, explaining my difficulties with the buzzing sound, and offering to pay any and all costs associated with having it fixed if he wouldn't mind authorizing the work to be done. I really meant it too. I would happily cough up major bucks to rid myself of this intolerable plague.

I attached the letter to the cover of a large, extremely luscious cake that I bought at a bakery, walked it over, rang the doorbell, and handed the cake/letter to my neighbor's wife. She looked so surprised and delighted at seeing the cake, that I couldn't help wishing I had brought them such a gift as a 'welcome to the neighborhood' present six months earlier.

I included the cake to soften the blow of my request about the AC. I am such a coward when it comes to confronting neighbors about such things, so if you were planning on calling me a wuss, please let me beat you to the punch, because I know that it's true. *sigh*

Anyway, to my great joy, the sound eventually got fixed; but now, after the passage of a fair amount of time, has started back up again. Oh well. It's something I'm not going to worry about at the present time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-29, 10:26

Over the years, I've had quite a collection of neighbors in various places I've lived: sheer white trash, wannabe hip-hop types (with the accompanying noise/music), newlyweds who had LOTS of sex at all hours of the day and night , crabby old farts, sorority types, party monkeys (male and female), surfers, stoners, yuppies, a gay guy who was apparently quite the pick-up artist and rivaled the newlyweds in the "loud sex at 3am" category, meek "school marm" types who seemed so nervous and shy that I was afraid to say "hi" to them because they might get scared that I was "accosting them".

All kinds.

The only one I ever had anything resembling a problem with was the crabby old guy...he never said hello, always grumbled something as he passed me, would park his car pratically at an angle and take my spot, etc. Everyone else, even though they occasionally got on my nerves with various loud sounds, I got on totally well with. To their credit, the hip-hop guy (two roommates, but always had friends over) even came over one afternoon and asked me if it was "too loud". It was daytime and barely a thump, so I wasn't bothered and I said "no". Thought it was cool that he even bothered to ask. The one or two times I had to ask them to turn it down (it was well after 11pm on a weeknight), they were totally cool about it (as I'm walking to their front door, all I'm thinking about is "Boyz in the Hood", "Menace 2 Society" and Tupac..."I'm gonna get killed"). But it went 50x better than I ever dreamed. They weren't true hardcases...just young and loud at times.

But that old man at the other place was a bear.

The white trash folks kinda scared me a bit, frankly. But we'd always do a "how's it goin'?" or nod to one another, so I guess I was okay. Never had a run-in or beef with them, but that's good because there were a shady, unsavory little cast of characters.

And everytime I'd see the newlyweds out (or just the wife, Christy was her name), all I could think to myself was "I know all the things you say at the height of ecstasy...these walls ain't that thick, sweetpea".

Definitely made me look at her in a more appreciative way. "You little minx...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-08-29 at 10:34.