Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

New post weirdness.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New post weirdness.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 11:34

Since beginning to visit the forums on a regular basis again a few weeks ago, I've been having some problems with viewing new posts. I don't ever use the "View New Posts" link, so that's not the issue. I usually browse the forums by looking a which ones have new posts in them and clicking through each thread until I've read all the new posts in it and the title of the thread is no longer in bold.

However, for the last few weeks this hasn't been happening. Threads that I know have new posts in them have been showing up without a bold title, indicating that I've read them all. The strangest thing is that when I click on the thread the little "page" icon next to the post date that is either gray (indicating it has been read) or white (not read) has been showing up white on posts that I haven't read yet. Clearly the forum knows that I haven't read those posts yet, so why is it indicating that there are no new posts in the thread?

This isn't a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, I just found it odd and I wasn't sure why it was happening. I don't like to miss anything if I don't have to and I always feel like I'm going to if I'm not being properly notified of new posts.

On top of all that, the "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" buttons aren't working correctly for me either. I've tried clearing caches, resetting Safari, quitting and re opening, things like that. I've restarted my computer since this issue began happening, so I don't think that will help. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what can be done to fix it. Thanks!

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-21, 11:59

Are you holding your mouth right?

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 17:52

I'm not sure what that means. Thanks for the reply though!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-12-21, 19:36

Maybe you aren't viewing the threads fast enough and the system thinks you've seen them because it's taken so long for you to make it to the next thread? Or something like that anyway.

BTW, good to see you back again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chinesebear

2009-12-21, 19:39

Is AN one of your top sites on Safari? I believe that when Safari fetches the preview, it acts as if you have visited...at least it seems that way to me. The same thing has been happening to me since Safari 4, so that's what I blame.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 22:05

If there's a lot of new posts to read it'll often reset and show that I've read everything before I get even halfway through the various fora. This is especially true when multitaking. Having this reset function is completely sensible because if you skipped over a thread last time you visited you probably don't want it coming up as new next time you visit. However it should reset only between, not during visits. The time it takes to reset is far too impractical unless you're online 24 hours a day IMO. It seems to reset about 20 minutes after your first pagevisit. This should. Really be more like an hour, or set to 15 minutes after your last pagevisit (ie visiting a page every 15 minutes will prevent a reset).
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-23, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebear View Post
Is AN one of your top sites on Safari? I believe that when Safari fetches the preview, it acts as if you have visited...at least it seems that way to me. The same thing has been happening to me since Safari 4, so that's what I blame.
That's an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that before. Maybe I'll turn off top sites since I don't use it anyway.

I just shut it off, I'll report back and see if that solves any problems.

I know it's not from taking too long to browse the forums, Turtle. When I would visit for the first time in a day or two it would say right away that I had read posts that I hadn't read already. Hopefully the top sites thing fixes it. Thanks for the suggestion!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-12-23, 11:18

When I had top sites enabled I found out it refreshed every website on display. It wacked out my recent posts lookups too, so I turned it off. I'm a bit bummed because I did like the feature, but I started missing too much stuff.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-23, 15:40

I think that was it. I turned it off a few hours ago, came back to AN and everything appears to be normal again. No big loss for me, I didn't care for the top sites thing much anyway.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-23, 16:36

I just took AN out of my top sites page and everything works fine for me.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 05:23

How do you disable Top Sites completely? I removed AN, but since I never use it anyway I may as well just disable it if possible. I can't see a setting anywhere, though.

Also, does the Google Chrome version have the same effect? Because I've been using Chrome recently.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-24, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
How do you disable Top Sites completely? I removed AN, but since I never use it anyway I may as well just disable it if possible. I can't see a setting anywhere, though.
Just don't go to the top sites page. In Preferences: General, be sure the new window and new tab are set to display something other than top sites (hint: empty page FTW!). You can also remove it from the bookmarks bar (Preferences: Bookmarks) to keep from accidentally clicking it. This "bug" happens because loading top sites loads each of the listed pages. If you don't load the top sites page itself, the pages don't get triggered to load and don't mix up your last visit time.

Quote:
Also, does the Google Chrome version have the same effect? Because I've been using Chrome recently.
Probably. They work the same way.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-12-24, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Just don't go to the top sites page. In Preferences: General, be sure the new window and new tab are set to display something other than top sites (hint: empty page FTW!). You can also remove it from the bookmarks bar (Preferences: Bookmarks) to keep from accidentally clicking it. This "bug" happens because loading top sites loads each of the listed pages. If you don't load the top sites page itself, the pages don't get triggered to load and don't mix up your last visit time.
In that case I really don't think Top Sites is the problem as I never visit it... I've removed AN from top sites in both Safari and Chrome though, so I'll see if it helps at all...

P.S. I think I had this problem before Safari 4 anyway but I may be wrong...
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 09:51

Quote:
In that case I really don't think Top Sites is the problem as I never visit it... I've removed AN from top sites in both Safari and Chrome though, so I'll see if it helps at all...

P.S. I think I had this problem before Safari 4 anyway but I may be wrong...
Not fixed

Top sites doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm back to being convinced it's something in the forum settings.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-03, 13:24

Are you ever using Private Browsing mode in the browser? That is also know to screw up the read/unread posts.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 23:14

No. Certainly not for this forum.
cNadia

2010-01-24, 16:29

This sometimes occurs on firefox, it might be a cookie thing
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-01-25, 21:10

I was able to fix it by turning off the "Top Sites" "feature" in Safari. I didn't need to do anything with cookies.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-14, 19:39

Still having this problem. No Top Sites, no Private Browsing, don't think it's browser-related at all as I've had the same problem in multiple versions of multiple browsers. Just seems to be time-related. I've never timed it, I should do that next time.