AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

PSN Outage

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PSN Outage
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-25, 17:46

Didn't see anybody talking about it but the PSN is still down. We're now in the 5th day of the outage. It is beginning to be ridiculous. Hope they can fix it soon. Me wants compensation !!

Netflix is still working though...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-04-25, 17:55

I have a PS3 but have never used the PSN. I thought it was free?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-25, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I have a PS3 but have never used the PSN. I thought it was free?
It is. Apparently, you get what you pay for.

It's confirmed to be an "external intrusion," probably related to Anonymous' attack on the network earlier this month. Anonymous supposedly called it off after Sony made nice with George Hotz, but they're not exactly organized, and a lot of people were apparently calling for the attack to continue.

I wish these people would realize they're not "taking down the man" or "teaching Sony a lesson" or anything like that. They're just annoying a lot of regular people who just want to play their PlayStations. But I'm guessing the timing of the Sony-Hotz settlement made many Anonymous feel that they've got t3h pow3r, or something.

Note to self: don't ever piss of hackers.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-25, 18:09

It is. But you can also pay for the PlayStation Plus service. I was kidding for the compensation. Still, some people bought some games to play online and they can't. Some games require a monthly fee but they won't be able to play...

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-25, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Meh. Let's see how the Xbox Live react if it get attacked. I guess more money is involved so...

But I don't think Sony like it very much right now. There's no games being bought on the store and no movies rented...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-25, 18:21

I don't doubt that they have engineers working around-the-clock to fix it. The whole thing is pretty embarrassing. I wouldn't want to be a Sony rep right now, especially in the PNW (where a lot of people, most notably Gabe and Tycho, are already fairly loyal to the homegrown Xbox).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-25, 18:38

I'm annoyed, but only slightly, because a copy of Portal 2 won't activate the Steam (free) version without being activated on the PSN first. It's one reason I've held off buying the game. I wonder if this is affecting Portal's sales.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-25, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm annoyed, but only slightly, because a copy of Portal 2 won't activate the Steam (free) version without being activated on the PSN first. It's one reason I've held off buying the game. I wonder if this is affecting Portal's sales.
If you read the comments on any article about the outage, at least half the comments are from Portal 2 owners longing to register their copy to Steam. Pretty bad timing — the launch week of one of the most anticipated games of the year, which happens to include such a significant PS3-exclusive component, which requires PSN...

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-25, 18:56

Speaking of bad timing. Xbox had a free weekend for Xbox Live Gold. Was it planned or they did it on purpose ?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-25, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Speaking of bad timing. Xbox had a free weekend for Xbox Live Gold. Was it planned or they did it on purpose ?
It was planned — they were trying to break some bullshit Guinness record, or something. They announced it before the outage.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-25, 19:05

Yeah I remember hearing about it now. Bad timing indeed
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-26, 01:37

Some are speculating that Sony shut down the servers themself due to a custom firmware. It allowed hackers to download everything they wanted on the PSN... Interesting idea. But I think that the "nobody is buying anything" cost a lot more than the "x games have been stolen"... I still think it's Anonymus

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-26, 08:37

Quote:
If you read the comments on any article about the outage, at least half the comments are from Portal 2 owners longing to register their copy to Steam. Pretty bad timing — the launch week of one of the most anticipated games of the year, which happens to include such a significant PS3-exclusive component, which requires PSN...
Wait a tic? If I buy Portal 2 for my PS3, I can download a free copy for my Macs? That would certainly sway me from buying it for the 360.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-26, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Wait a tic? If I buy Portal 2 for my PS3, I can download a free copy for my Macs? That would certainly sway me from buying it for the 360.
Yup. Also, the PS3 version supports Steamworks, or whatever it's called, so trophies earned are synced to both your PSN and Steam account, you can see and message your Steam buddy list, Steam Cloud is supported, &c.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-26, 09:40

Quote:
Yup. Also, the PS3 version supports Steamworks, or whatever it's called, so trophies earned are synced to both your PSN and Steam account, you can see and message your Steam buddy list, Steam Cloud is supported, &c.
Good to know. This may get me to buy my first non-exclusive PS3 title.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-26, 09:48

Quote:
Isn't progress on the game saved, too? So if you play some on your Mac and then go back to your PS3, aren't you where you left off on the Mac?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-26, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Isn't progress on the game saved, too? So if you play some on your Mac and then go back to your PS3, aren't you where you left off on the Mac?
I haven't tried it out, but theoretically, yup. That's what Steam Cloud is all about.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-26, 11:12

What about playing the game on 2 different PS3 ? Wold it resume too ? It's kinda bypassing PSN+ cloud storage... awesome.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-04-26, 11:46

Quote:

It's confirmed to be an "external intrusion," probably related to Anonymous' attack on the network earlier this month. Anonymous supposedly called it off after Sony made nice with George Hotz, but they're not exactly organized, and a lot of people were apparently calling for the attack to continue.

I wish these people would realize they're not "taking down the man" or "teaching Sony a lesson" or anything like that. They're just annoying a lot of regular people who just want to play their PlayStations. But I'm guessing the timing of the Sony-Hotz settlement made many Anonymous feel that they've got t3h pow3r, or something.

Note to self: don't ever piss of hackers.
Hmm, I would think people should be happy. Anonymous just highlighted a bunch of security issues with Sony's online network, who knows what kinds of nasty shit could be done if they didn't patch it. Does the PSN allow for purchasing of items through a store? If so, I can understand why Sony would take it down until it was fully patched.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-26, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Hmm, I would think people should be happy.
Yeah, I am. Really...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-26, 12:35

I ran into this issue the other night when trying to use Netflix on my PS3. It just wouldn't connect, but it did work the next day and so I haven't really been paying attention since then.

Pretty embarrassing fot this to be happening to Sony.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-26, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Hmm, I would think people should be happy. Anonymous just highlighted a bunch of security issues with Sony's online network, who knows what kinds of nasty shit could be done if they didn't patch it. Does the PSN allow for purchasing of items through a store? If so, I can understand why Sony would take it down until it was fully patched.
Anon is saying it isn't them, and reports are coming out that Sony's dev network was completely unsecured. This was found out by using the ReBug CFW, a proxy server, and a fake CC#. The developer network then allowed everything to be downloaded from PSN / Qriocity.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-26, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I ran into this issue the other night when trying to use Netflix on my PS3. It just wouldn't connect, but it did work the next day and so I haven't really been paying attention since then.

Pretty embarrassing fot this to be happening to Sony.
To use netflix, you just have to press X to try to signin (and get the error). If you're pressing O to cancel the signin, it won't work.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-26, 15:40

Yeah, it worked after I tried to sign in again, but it was having connection issues.

Took me a few times to get it working.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-04-26, 15:53

Not sure if anyone has linked to this yet, but it now seems like personal information was stolen as well!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-and-qriocity/

Great. Nice of Sony to tell us 5 days (or more) after the event! I mean i guess it is misfortunate for the system to get hacked, but it would be helpful for them to spell out the worst case first so people know the risk they have been put at!

So this is what they have taken:
Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name
and they are not sure if they have your credit card details. But since the security has been breached so badly it would hazard a guess at yes.

Last edited by nikstar101 : 2011-04-26 at 16:08.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-04-26, 16:09

yeah, pertinent paragraph from the page nikstar101 linked.

Quote:
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.
Goatse'd.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-26, 17:27

Wow, way to go Sony... maybe I should move back to Microsoft. Well the good part is I don't use the same password everywhere, the bad part is I'm not sure if they had my CC information saved, but I reckon I'll be calling to have a new CC sent my way...

It really makes you think twice though, I'm not even sure if I should let Amazon have my CC number anymore.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
ironlung

2011-04-26, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Wow, way to go Sony... maybe I should move back to Microsoft. Well the good part is I don't use the same password everywhere, the bad part is I'm not sure if they had my CC information saved, but I reckon I'll be calling to have a new CC sent my way...

It really makes you think twice though, I'm not even sure if I should let Amazon have my CC number anymore.
I'm in the same boat. I don't remember if I ever gave my CC to Sony. I normally don't to websites, amazon being an exception. I don't have any unauthorized activity on any of my CCs but I also don't remember which one I gave to Sony. I usually tend to use my amex since their customer service is far superior as compared to their competitors.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-26, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
I'm in the same boat. I don't remember if I ever gave my CC to Sony. I normally don't to websites, amazon being an exception. I don't have any unauthorized activity on any of my CCs but I also don't remember which one I gave to Sony. I usually tend to use my amex since their customer service is far superior as compared to their competitors.
Emphasis on my situation. Haha.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-26, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Not sure if anyone has linked to this yet, but it now seems like personal information was stolen as well!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-and-qriocity/
I was afraid that it was going to be something like that — somebody who saw how Anonymous successfully brought down the network last month and decided to go for user's personal information, knowing that everybody would think it was Anonymous again.