AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Mystery damage, griefing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Mystery damage, griefing?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-31, 15:59

It is weird. If this was even possible under normal circumstances, then I don't see how my wool-roofed library is still there.... But the alternative is hugely unlikely too. very, very strange.
¡Damned!

2011-05-31, 16:02

I walked around your house yesterday in the rain hoping that maybe a corner was in a desert biome and an errant lightning strike caught "just that one spot". But no, rain all round. I'm still a bit befuddled on how this happened.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-05-31, 16:04

Nazi ninjas. With flamethrowers.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-31, 17:04

Brad's house has a stone overhang. If lightning came in diagonally and hit the side, the ledge would prevent rain from putting it out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-31, 17:36

Lightning doesn't go diagonally or sideways in MC — always straight down, IIUC. So, it would have to hit within a one-block perimeter around the house and be the type of strike that spawns multiple fire blocks (most don't) and and of those fires would have to be under the overhang and jump onto the house.

Probably not impossible, but it still seems very unlikely, and we've never seen it happen to trees or other structures with overhangs.

Also, if it was lightning, presumably in a storm, then some of the fires should have been put out by the rain, at least on the roof. Natural thunderstorms are always followed by a stretch of regular rain, AFAICT, meaning it would have had to be a slow enough burn to not reach the roof before the rain finished. As we saw at Burning Man III, though, wool burns crazy fast, making this scenario even more unlikely.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-05-31, 17:52

MC ignoramus: Could the fire be started by mob? For instance, a lightning sets a pig on fire and pig runs into your castle or something similar?

(If it's not the actual cause, you'll have to admit it'd be funny - a lowly and stupid pig/sheep inflicting carnage on a castle, right? )
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-31, 18:22

Unlikely. I've never seen a flaming mob set anything else on fire.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-31, 18:36

Elysium has a tragicomedy tale of just that sort happening...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-31, 19:47

Two possibilities - lightning strikes vulnerable spot just as rain ends, or lightning strikes cow/pig/chicken/sheep who goes under stone then towards house before rain puts out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-31, 19:54

Yeah, I have seen flaming mobs set other things on fire near them. It is rare that one of them would survive a lightning strike, but it might be the answer....other than someone set it ablaze.

Figured I'd test this out while the server wasn't being used much. Some animals live a pretty long time while burning!
SD, HD

Robo was on while I was doing this but left at some point so I couldn't share with him.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-05-31 at 20:46.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-05-31, 22:41

I thought lightning stuck pigs become zombie pigmen
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-01, 00:00

There ought to be a way to monitor user logs, even with some sort of add-on. I've been waiting for you to run across the chats I've had "out loud" with myself when I'm the only one online... I don't want my special ::moons Brad:: sayings going unappreciated!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-01, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
There ought to be a way to monitor user logs, even with some sort of add-on. I've been waiting for you to run across the chats I've had "out loud" with myself when I'm the only one online... I don't want my special ::moons Brad:: sayings going unappreciated!
Well, Brad and turtle can read the chat logs. That's why whenever RowdyScot or I want to criticize the management, we start by talking about BDSM.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-06-01, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Well, Brad and turtle can read the chat logs. That's why whenever RowdyScot or I want to criticize the management, we start by talking about BDSM.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-01, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Unlikely. I've never seen a flaming mob set anything else on fire.
Didn't a flaming cow set someone on fire a few days ago? (Yes, the cow was flaming because the player in question took a lighter to it, but the point stands...)

I think it was either Ely or grey, but I can't remember.

Lighting strikes ground -> cow runs through flame -> panicked cow runs into Brad's house...

Stranger things have happened

Also, this thread makes me worry about the tavern. It's got a stone roof but other than that, it's overwhelmingly wood.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-06-01, 18:03

That was ME with the cow, LOL! I set it on fire, and it charged me. EPIC fun

*Hostile* mobs cannot set anything/one else on fire, but passive most certainly CAN.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-06-01, 20:40

So, they're not passive but actually passive aggressive then?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-06-01, 21:08

Nah, the mobs just love to get all over you and jump. Kinda disturbing, really. Doesn't matter if they're hostile or peaceful for that. The cow wasn't doing anything it wouldn't have otherwise - it just happened to be on fire, and therefore set ME on fire, LOL!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
arteggio

2011-06-06, 08:52

If there does happen to be a rogue player out there, there might be a way to track them down, straight from @Notch:

Quote:
I made the game keep track of all damage sources and types.
Or, confirm that it was just a flaming cow.