Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Login windows disappears quickly after wakeup

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Login windows disappears quickly after wakeup
starcat102

2007-03-28, 15:27

Hi there,

switched to 17" MBP 2.33 I am experiencing still the same behaviour as on my older PB (which I thought was to some installation problem). Basically after waking up the laptop the login window gets presented for a 10-20 seconds and if no login is provided it disappears and I can't login anymore until I close the display again (go to sleep) and open it up and put in my user/passwd info during the first 10-20 seconds after the login windows comes up again. After this time the windows disappears again.. Looks really strange to me - anybody knows a workaround? I am running latest Tiger, but I experienced this since the earliest Tiger releases...

Thanks much!
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-03-28, 22:28

How did you transfer your data to your new laptop? Did you use Apple's migration assistant, or did you do it manually, or did you clone the drive? That may help narrow down the candidates for the source.
starcat102

2007-03-28, 23:33

New install of all programs and transfered only the data by cpying it from the older PB via firewire target mode. But as I mentioned I experienced the same behaviour on the older Powerbook 1.33Ghz. I thought it maybe due to an issue with the older hardware but it is obviously in Mac OSX - noone ever seen this?

For security reasons I have the login window turned on after wakeup from sleep. So, after wakeup the login window appears. If I enter my login and password everything is fine. If I don't toch the keyboard at all the login screen disappears after about half a minute. Pressing any key or touching the mousepad doesn't bring it up again. Only closing the display, waiting half a minute and then wakeup brings the login screen again. Kind of a really weird behaviour...
starcat102

2007-03-30, 12:59

No more ideas? Anyone?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-03-30, 23:09

I'm afraid I'm stumped. I did a few cursory searches and couldn't find anything (but the search terms are unfortunately rather generic).

My guess: it's some strange interaction with some system-level plugin/prefpane/mod/hack or maybe even an overzealous app and your system. Since it happened on both your computers, it's probably have to be something with your software. And it has to be system level.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-03-31, 08:25

Reformat, and then load OSX onto it, test the login window. If it = bad then you will probably have a hardware issue (all OSX discs *should* be the same). Then load on your documents - and test. Continue this with loading on your appications 5 at a time (or whatever) untill you get the problem. From there you should be able to find the source of it all?


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK