Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airpods Pro
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-12-03, 07:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Nice! Did you use a referral code? It gives you like $100 off or something like that. If you didn't, you may be able to add it now (and you can use mine )
I bought it last week during their Black Friday/Cyber Monday week long sale and got "The Works" accessory package for free. Nice little deal with getting the shoes, mat, and heart rate monitor that I'll use. I won't use the other stuff but none the less, stuff I would've bought anyway with that package. Saved about $250. I get it delivered tomorrow afternoon and gonna try out my first class tomorrow evening. Can't wait.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-03, 10:48

What is the deal you guys are talking about? I missed it scanning the thread or something.

So far the best price I've seen on these if the Vet/Military pricing that takes $25 off of them. No need to Black Friday for that deal.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-12-03, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What is the deal you guys are talking about? I missed it scanning the thread or something.

So far the best price I've seen on these if the Vet/Military pricing that takes $25 off of them. No need to Black Friday for that deal.
Are you talking about the Peloton that Yontsey and I are talking about or something else?

if it's about Peloton: There's a Black Friday special (maybe still going?) that gives The Works package. I don't know if they've still got it going. Aside from that, if you use a referral code, I think that both you and the referrer get a $100 gift card for apparel.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-05, 11:28

I missed the diversion to Peloton. I though you guys were talking about a deal on the AirPod Pros.
¡Damned!

2019-12-05, 11:52

There's like absolutely zero AirPod Pros for sale out in the wild right now. Was going to pick up a pair for xmas but everyone is pushing stock out until January.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-05, 12:20

So far we have gotten exactly zero in the shop, and do not expect them before March. Same scenario as AirPods when they first launched.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-05, 16:39

I had my hands on a pair in the Apple Store near me. I thought about buying them then but it felt so impulsive that I refused. Guess I'll have to wait now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-12-05, 20:33

So, I had a really freaking annoying problem with my Pros over the weekend. Bear in mind, this was over thanksgiving weekend when we were down in Georgia visiting my in-laws and we had a 5 hour drive back.

Friday morning, I woke up and tried to pop one bud in to listen to a podcast. I do this all the time. It didn't work. So I thought maybe it had discharged. I tried the other one. That didn't work either so I tried letting them charge for a while. After some time, I tried again. No dice.

I know they had charged because the light was green, so I tried unpairing and repairing them. They didn't show up initially but after holding the pairing button, I got the connect prompt.

I popped one in my ear and it worked. I tried the other and nothing. That one didn't show up in my bluetooth settings or anything. But pressing the stem made the click sound so they were working but they weren't connecting to my phone.

I tried unpairing and repairing again. Same song and dance about the pairing button. Put the one that wasn't connecting in my ear and it worked. Tried the other one and NOPE. It didn't work but had the same issue as the other one did the first time.

I repeated this process a 3rd time. It was like whichever I put in first would pair with my phone and the other wasn't able to.

Somewhere along the way, I tried turning on noise canceling and would get an error saying to put both in my ears to use ANC. Both were in my ears.

So I had one working AirPod for the trip home. Since my peloton was connected to them, I thought I'd try. The only one that worked with the peloton was the one that didn't connect to my phone. So I could listen to 2 different audio sources at the same time - peloton in one ear, iPhone in the other. Cool but not what I wanted.

I took it to the apple store and they were stumped. They just got me a replacement pair of buds. I had to wait because they had none in stock, obviously.

After letting them charge, I had the same damned problem! I finally broke down and tried pairing them to my wife's phone just to see and they worked just fine... I paired them to my phone a final time and they FINALLY worked normally.

I have no idea what happened or why. As you can tell, it was a pretty confusing series of events. Whatever. I've got my working AirPods again so I'm happy. I just hope that was the extent of the weirdness.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-05, 20:50

You’re listening to them wrong.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-12-05, 21:02

That's strange. I haven't listened to them with just one in, but I have noticed when I take one out, the podcast I'm listening to stops but if I wait a second, it'll start playing again from the one that's left in.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-12-05, 21:38

Mine normally do the “pause when one is removed” thing. I don’t think they start playing again unless I manually tell it to. Or if I cover the sensors with my hand so it thinks it’s in my ear.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-01-31, 21:57

I finally talked myself into getting these today. Well, last night I ordered them and picked them up in the store today. Semantics aside, I am blown away by the difference of these to the original AirPods. I walked into the store and let them know I was here for an in-store pickup. Someone brought me the box and asked if I wanted to set them up here or at home. I said here and walked over the to HomePod displays, no one is ever there so it is clear table space.

I opened the box, pulled the wrapping off of the case and opened it. Told my phone to connect and put the Pros in my ears. Moments later I heard a tone and the store when nearly silent!

That was my face when I looked around to see why everyone was so quiet. I kid you not if there were a candid camera on my Apple could have used my face to show how amazing the active noise cancelation work with these earphones.

I turned off the noice cancelling and there was the familiar background noise so loud I couldn't hear the music I was playing. These are totally worth the $225 I paid for them. Comfortable and I can listen to my music at an enjoyable level even when in a crowded place like the Apple Store.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-02-01, 17:06

I had been going back and forth on these as well, but ultimately decided on the Beats Solo Pro instead.

I have the second get AirPods and I use them constantly, but I'm always out and about walking the streets of Manhattan with them, so I need to be able to hear what's happening around me.

I only need noise cancelling at home and when traveling, so I thought the bigger headphones would be better for long periods of time.

The Solo Pros use the H1 chip, so they act like AirPods basically when connecting, so I'm a huge fan.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-02-04, 12:40

Got a set for Xmas, and just took them on my first cross-continental flight.

I have always *hated* noise cancelling headphones because it feels like my ears are getting sucked out of my head, but these... are just silent. The plane noise was almost *gone*, and my music was clear and crisp.

I was happy to use the transparency mode when interacting with the flight attendants, but realized that they couldn't tell I could actually hear them, and they were still yelling, so I took to just taking one out.

Frankly, I love these stupid things.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-28, 19:41

Digging up this thread, because after much hate for Apple headphones I've caved and decided to give the Airpods Pros a go since they are on sale at many third party sellers. I wouldn't be surprised if an updated pair comes with the new iPhones this year, but I would definitely not be willing to pay full price for these. If the Pros were at the normal Airpods price point, I'd say that would be about right for what you are getting, more on this later. I decided to give Apple a shot after killing yet another set of wireless earbuds this past spring, because even with 8 different tip types none of them fit well and they always fell out. I have two or three pairs with one working earbud, frustrating I have to say. Needless to say if that Airpods Pros have this same issue, falling out, they will be a no go in the future.

First thing that hit me about the Airpods Pros, the default tips fit in my ears and they don't start falling out after 5-10 minutes, but I haven't done any outdoor walking or hiking with them yet. The Pros staying in my ears already makes them at least one a step above the others I've owned. Sound quality? Better than wired Apple earbuds, by how much it's hard to say, since the Pros make a proper fitting to the ears with the tips. BT signal strength indoors is great, they stay connected when my phone is at the other end of house, crazy. I've had what I'd call a dual experience with theses. On older BT4.2EDR devices the Airpods Pros sound okayish, but on BT 5.0 devices they sound about what I would expect them to. On a 4.2 device they sound about the same as Soundcore $100 (Cdn) true wireless ear buds that use ceramic drivers, but noticeably worse than my wired Sennhesier over ear headphones (not a high end audiophile set). On a BT 5.0+ devices the Pros sound a lot closer to the over ear headphones, so clearly the data rate and newer tech makes a huge difference. The Pros seem to have a neutral sound, not bass heavy. There seems to be some fall off in high vocal notes, but that could just be Music Store (I'm still saying iTunes store in my head) file compression, I don't have any uncompressed files to immediately compare with at this time. No doubt the normally similarly priced Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 buds would be better than the Pros for sound quality, but the sale price made the Pros a lot cheaper. There is no popping or buzzing, at least indoors, seems about right for a BT 5.0 pair. Noise cancellation? I've had slightly better isolation from earbuds without noise cancellation. It seems to block out some sounds better than others, noise like computer fans are gone, and it dampens the sound of my mechanical keyboard nicely. With voices, coming from speakers, I could hardly even tell the difference between cancellation being on and off, but voices are slightly quieter. Transparency is great, can turn it on and have a brief chat without stopping music, likely the best feature of these earbuds. Battery life could be better, similarly sized buds from other brands are better. Even my cheap buds would get 8 hours on a charge without noise cancellation.

Are the Airpods Pros a good set of ear buds? At third party sale prices, yes. Also from a technical stand point for a device that came out in 2019 they are very good, but around average in terms of audio quality. So I'll stand by my initial statement that I would not pay MSRP for these.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-08-28 at 19:53.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-29, 10:25

I hated the original AirPods. They never stayed in my ear. The AirPods Pro’s I have no issues with. I go running and ride my Peloton with them in.

Spatial Audio and Lossless with the AirPods Pro is an awesome experience.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-29, 11:00

Glad you found them in a format and price point that suits your needs! I have friends who use far cheaper solutions and the difference in quality is astonishing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-29, 11:31

As much as I listen to music and podcasts these days - and get that cord all snagged on myself - I should be a prime candidate for such a thing. I just can’t bring myself to may those prices. Maybe someday I will.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-29, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I hated the original AirPods. They never stayed in my ear. The AirPods Pro’s I have no issues with. I go running and ride my Peloton with them in.

Spatial Audio and Lossless with the AirPods Pro is an awesome experience.
I never tired the original AirPods, I knew I wouldn’t be happy with them since normal Apple earbuds always fell out after the design changed a number of years ago. The only thing I don’t care for about the pros is the glossy finish on the case, it attracts dust like a magnet, and I haven’t even had them 24 hours yet.

I have not used spatial audio, I wonder what it works with? I’ve not seen the option to use it, so either my devices are too old, or I’m not using the right sources. I know it’s only for video, but I assume it’s limited to Apple provided content (Apple TV+ and store purchases). I don’t get video content that way, so maybe I won’t benefit from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
As much as I listen to music and podcasts these days - and get that cord all snagged on myself - I should be a prime candidate for such a thing. I just can’t bring myself to may those prices. Maybe someday I will.
If the AirPods Pro’s were not nearly $100 off at Best Buy I might have been hesitant to try them, the less expensive earbuds are tempting, given how easily these wireless earbuds seem to get destroyed. The only downside to not buying direct from Apple is that you have to take them to an Apple store or call Apple to get AppleCare+. I think I’ll want it, given how easily my other pairs of buds half died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Glad you found them in a format and price point that suits your needs! I have friends who use far cheaper solutions and the difference in quality is astonishing.
The cheap earbuds with ceramic drivers do show the weakness of using plastic, it just doesn’t vibrate properly. I always got cheap ones because I used them at work, but I have a good over ear pair for that now, so the AirPods Pro’s are for recreational use only. Hopefully that will help them last till the batteries are dead.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-29, 15:45

Have AirPods been around long enough that we know what happens when the batteries do die/no longer charge/hold a charge?

Do you toss them and buy another set, or, like the iPhone and other Apple stuff, can you get the batteries replaced?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-29, 18:59

Quote:
Have AirPods been around long enough that we know what happens when the batteries do die/no longer charge/hold a charge?
Oh golly, you'll lose em long before that!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-29, 19:14

I went to the support section at Apple's site to learn and couldn't really find a solid answer if they're replaceable (the batteries, mind you). They just talk about how to set-up, charge, clean them. Makes me think once they give out you're looking to buy another pair.

In all seriousness, then...what is the "give out" time frame? If you buy a set of AirPods (or AirPod Pro) tomorrow, what's the safe, average timeframe you'd be expected to own them? Two years? Seven? Forever? Those of you who bought those first ones from 2017...they still going strong, 3-4 years later?

As for the "losing" thing, I actually wonder about that as well. In nearly two decades of iPod and iPhone-owning/using, I've never come close to losing any of the included earbuds (that cord makes it tough to forget). But those two tiny little AirPods...how those don't get lost constantly is a miracle. That would be my biggest concern (after the pricing).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-29 at 19:58.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-29, 19:43

I lost one.
Had to replace it.
Total shit show.
They never showed up.
Apparently never shipped.
Had to RE order the replacement.
And wait for the refund on the first purchase.
Still have NO idea what went down.
It was hinky.

The only other time Apple let me down was my early 2011 MBP which didn't even last four years before I had to replace it. Shoddy treatment by Apple.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-29, 19:44

Quote:
I went to the support section at Apple's site to learn and couldn't really find a solid answer if they're replaceable. They just talk about how to set-up, charge, clean them. Makes me think once they give out you're looking to buy another pair.

In all seriousness, then...what is the "give out" time frame? If you buy a set of AirPods (or AirPod Pro) tomorrow, what's the safe, average timeframe you'd be expected to own them? Two years? Seven? Forever? Those of you who bought those first ones from 2017...they still going strong, 3-4 years later?

As for the "losing" thing, I actually wonder about that as well. In nearly two decades of iPod and iPhone-owning/using, I've never come close to losing any of the included earbuds (that cord makes it tough to forget). But those two tiny little AirPods...how those don't get lost constantly is a miracle. That would be my biggest concern (after the pricing).
I've owned a number of sets of non-Apple wireless headphones, haven't lost any of them yet. Whenever I'm not using them they go right back into the charge case, no chance to forget them. The broken ones are sitting in the charge cases with the ones that still work.

Apple support is very strange with the Airpods, I couldn't even find a listed price for Applecare+ on the support site. [Edit] Found it, but I had to add a new set of Airpods to my 'bag' (shopping cart) to find out.

If they have a good set of battery cells they should be good for around 1000 charge cycles. Given that on average Lithium batteries loose around 5% capacity per year (without use), that should give you some time frame. Applecare+ for them guarantees that battery still have 80% capacity for up to two years or they replace them.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-29, 20:25

https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service has repair and replacement options and prices.

There’s a third party who replaces the batteries, but Apple instead replaces the entire thing.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-30, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I have not used spatial audio, I wonder what it works with? I’ve not seen the option to use it, so either my devices are too old, or I’m not using the right sources. I know it’s only for video, but I assume it’s limited to Apple provided content (Apple TV+ and store purchases). I don’t get video content that way, so maybe I won’t benefit from that.
As of about a month ago, a lot of the albums in Apple Music are available in Spatial format now too. It's pretty incredible.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-30, 09:23

Plex actually supports Spatial Audio now too. Kinda wild with them being third party.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-01, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
As of about a month ago, a lot of the albums in Apple Music are available in Spatial format now too. It's pretty incredible.
Yes, turns out Spatial audio was turned on by default on my iPhone, and after doing some looking it does work fine with many iTunes song purchases. No support on my older iPad, or 2018 Mac Mini, so that's likely why I noticed such a difference when listening to music on my iPhone over my iPad. No loss with my Mac, I have my high end audio stuff hooked up to that anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 10:32

Marshall just released what looks like edgy AirPods Pros for less than Pros but similar specs.

$200 for these and I didn't do a full comparison but they are so close in "general" design of the Pros that I had to post them here. It will be interesting to see if Apple has a new design to be released soon as rumored.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-09-15 at 10:46.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 10:44

Funny you posted that. I was at Fender’s site a while back and they’re really getting into lots of non-guitar, “lifestyle” products (more than any other time) and, being a company literally built on music/sound, I thought “how long before they throw their hat into the wireless headphone ring”.

I’m sure they will any day now. They seem a bit scattershot and desperate for “hey, us too!” attention/coverage at times so the surprise level would be less than zero.

Perfect example of a company who could/should have the most streamlined, focused and appreciated lineup of all and they just constantly throw darts and do crazy things that never stick around more than 6-12 months.

Guys…STFU and build guitars, basses and amps. Period. That’s truly all anyone expects/needs from you, I promise.

You’re not Old Navy, you’re not IKEA, you’re sure as hell not Brookstone or The Sharper Inage. You’re Fender…you’re already automatically cool and have cemented your place in history. Try to act like it.