User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Display questions + iMac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Display questions + iMac
neiltc13

2006-08-22, 16:39

I've been thinking a lot about my computing habits and the things I do with my computer and displays. Currently I have a 17" iMac which I use for the odd game and I also have a 17" LCDTV which I use to play Xbox 360. I watch TV on my iMac using EyeTV.

I've come to the conclusion that 17" just isn't big enough for viewing TV or Xbox 360 - I really want some more screen size so that I don't have to sit right beside the display in order to play to my best. Now, considering that I want a bigger display, I really need it to have only two things - DVI input and Component Input. I don't need any fancy HDMI or any other video inputs, just those two.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to buy an Apple Cinema Display at 23" with Component Video inputs but unfortunately there seems to be no way whatsoever to hook an Xbox 360 up to an Apple Cinema Display without losing some sort of image quality or compatibility. So after a bit of looking around I've found the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24'' display. It's got both of the things I need - component and DVI.

However, I have a question for folks who have this size of display already - is it too big? I mean, do you end up just pushing it right to the back of the desk, defeating the point of its large size or do you sit close to it?

Secondly, can the iMac run in a "passive" mode where the display is disabled and routed to the Dell one instead? I know you can run extended desktop and mirroring but eventually I'd like to get rid of my iMac and buy a Mac Pro or Mac mini (or, in an ideal world a Mac midi, but that's another story). Resolution wise, according to the Apple site the mini DVI port on the back supports 1920x1200 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks everyone.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-22, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
Secondly, can the iMac run in a "passive" mode where the display is disabled and routed to the Dell one instead?
You could turn on video mirroring and put a piece of paper over the iMac screen.