AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD???????????

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Blu-Ray or HD-DVD???????????
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-11-28, 13:18

Ok, so my situation is this. Im on the verge of buying the HD-DVD add on for xbox 360, but 360 does not have HDMI so I can only receive 1080i instead of 1080p. Bums me out, but ohwell I guess. Now, I cant decide if I should just go ahead and get the HD-DVD add on, or try and wait it out and see who "wins" or "gains ground" in the competion, even though that could take a long time.

With the HD-DVD add on, Id only be paying like $230 with shipping, plus Id get an xbox 360 media unversial remote and a copy of King Kong. Thats better than paying $600 for PS3 and having Blu-Ray, but PS3 does have HDMI......

I suppose the obivious choice is go with the HD-DVD because it's cheaper but Im hesitant for some stupid reason.

What should I do? Thoughts?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
macuser256

2006-11-28, 13:27

I don't know. I would be very hesitant about either format at the moment because I know if one succeeds and the other fails a lot of people who spent money on the losing format are going to be very annoyed.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-11-28, 14:42

Nope, you're wrong. With the update that came out a month or so ago the 360 can output 1080p, though only over VGA or component. I can post a link later if you want, but I'm pretty certain.
¡Damned!

2006-11-28, 14:49

Component maybe, but VGA won't do 1080.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-11-28, 14:50

The Fall Dashboard update did turn on 1080p functionality. Supposedly a HDMI output cable is also in the works, but this is speculative at the moment.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-11-28, 15:00

Yeah, some of the tv can do component and vga at 1080p but my new Sony tv only does HDMI 1080p and the rest are 1080i
wecallitfall

2006-11-28, 15:01

i would be patient my friend, one would be a fool to make the wrong choice here for the sake of a matter of months
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-11-28, 15:21

maybe...but, unlike vhs vs beta, i actually see both formats making it to the future...

1) the xbox is going HD and the playstation is going Blu...both consoles will be around for many years to come

2) many movies are coming out in both formats, not just blu or HD

3) unlike when vhs and beta first started, people are use to buying or renting movies now...it use to be rare to buy or even rent a movie, slowly over time people changed that...now every house has a dvd player and some people buy movies, some people rent...but almost all do one or the other...Both formats will make money and so they will keep making them till we get our holodecks

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-11-28, 15:38

Another vote to wait. In my eyes, both formats lost so hold off until one of these polished turds shines more.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-28, 18:38

IIRC, with HD-DVD right now, the disc contains 1080p, but the player can't simply output that, it has to output 1080i, or, alternatively, deinterlaced 1080p, thus losing quality from interlacing and then deinterlacing. I don't remember if the Xbox 360 changed that, but since only the new XA2 from Toshiba, which won't be out until Jan/Feb, is able to output native 1080p off the disc, I really doubt it. So, personally, I wouldn't worry much about not having 1080p output as long as you can get 1080i. The deinterlacer in your TV is probably just as good as the one in the Xbox.

But I'd still wait, like others have said.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-11-28, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Another vote to wait. In my eyes, both formats lost so hold off until one of these polished turds shines more.
Good way to put it, haha.

But honestly, it'll be a long while before either format is adopted on a mainstream level. As far as I can tell, most people didn't really own DVD players until about 2 or 3 years ago, and are pretty unlikely to replace them soon. Let alone with players over $500, not including the possible added cost of and HDTV set.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-11-28, 22:46

Of course, if you buy the HD-DVD and it loses, you're only out $200. If Blu-Ray loses, you're out $600. But not really because you've got a PS3 to play with. Call it even. But, in the end, it's only a couple hundred $$. Just don't start buying tons of movies just yet. That'd be the killer.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-28, 23:04

Neither, it's not a big enough jump from 480p in DVD to commit...unlike VHS->DVD where we eliminated quality loss over time, rewind, etc.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-11-29, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
2) many movies are coming out in both formats, not just blu or HD
Probably cause there is no "winnner" format yet. I don't see them products their movie in 2 format forever as it cost more to product. Cost more to product = less $$$ for them. I don't know...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-29, 08:04

I would not even consider buying until the format 'war' is over.
For me the 'free' Blu-Ray in my PS3 is a preview for me, nothing more.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-11-30, 13:35

Well, against advice, I went ahead and bought the HD-DVD player. The picture quality is stunning and g made a good point. I think both formats will be around for a lil while at least because both are backed by large companies. It prolly wont come in the mail til next week, monday or so, but I get King Kong with it and a universal remote.

@yontsey
JonnyCoats

2006-11-30, 14:05

By the time this all gets sorted out, we'll all be downloading DRM-free movies via an iTunes Store or some other service.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-11-30, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCoats View Post
By the time this all gets sorted out, we'll all be downloading DRM-free movies via an iTunes Store or some other service.
Yeah I see myself downloading a complete season of whatever show in HD.

Downloading.... 1% completed .... timeleft 2000h. Great !

**The time left is a approximation, no caculs were made

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-30, 16:49

It doesn't matter what you buy now because next christmas something like 50%+ of players play both formats...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-12-01, 11:01

I picked up Jarhead, Four Brothers, and V for Vendetta for it too. Ive never seen V for Vendetta but I hear good things about it.

Also, just got the VGA cables so I can watch in 1080p

@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2006-12-01 at 11:17.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-01, 19:24

You do realize that the difference between 1080p and 720p is almost a placebo effect? Unless you have a front projector or TV that is over 60" you won't see a significant-if any-real increase in quality. Again though, it isn't all about what you see. Save up and get a nice sound-system to go with it.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-12-01, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
It doesn't matter what you buy now because next christmas something like 50%+ of players play both formats...
That can't happen until the Blu-ray Disk Association allows companies to license it - and that is very unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-12-01, 21:18

I think that will happen anyways. There are already players that can do this, and if they have enough demand, some sort of lawsuit may come about. I'm really hoping it does. Nonetheless, it is in the best interest of drive builders to make a single drive that can handle both formats and limit functionality for one format or another via firmware. I'm hoping there are some genius firmware hackers on the scene with consumer interests at heart.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-12-01, 22:55

Quote:
I think that will happen anyways. There are already players that can do this....
Say what? Where are these players, pray tell?

Ebby, I love your posts, but you have no clue what you are talking about in this situation.
First, It is not in the consumer electronics companies aligned with the BDA (of which there are over 150) to make a single drive for both formats - not until it's apparent that there will be no clear winner.

Anyone releasing a drive that plays Blu-ray discs (and HD-DVD for that matter) without paying for the license will get sued into oblivion.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-12-02, 00:17

I know blueray prohibits dual platform drives by license. I hate it and it sucks. However a cost saving technique often used in designing DVD drives is to build a single physical drive but disable various functions in the firmware and sell them as different models in order to save money in R&D. The technology used in HD-DVD and Blueray are very similar and it is logical to build a dual format capable drive but with either the Blueray or HD DVD firmware installed. If this sort of solution is illegal and is confined to the dark allies of the internet, so be it. It will only strengthen the digital black market, appealing yet again to consumer demand.

Oh, a little linkage:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/01/p...e-the-bdr-103/
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=16562

Yea, it is riding a slippery slope. But I hope, for consumers sake, that someone slips up or defends the little people.

As for dual format players, they are available for purchase today. They use two drives, but you can play both HD-DVD and Blueray disks with a single device.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-12-02 at 00:40.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 03:15

Quote:
I know blueray prohibits dual platform drives by license. I hate it and it sucks. However ...blah,blah,blah,blah....
Ebby, my friend. Are You In Touch With Reality?
In a perfect world, all formats would be one. There is a huge battle going on right now for billions of dollars and mutual compatibility does not fit into this equation at this time.

Your links are useless. There might come a time, in the future, where dual players exist, but they are simply possibilities right now.
Can't you comprehend that these dual drives, while great for the consumer, are not available for purchase, they do not exist (outside the lab) and are very unlikely to be released within the next few years?

Quote:
Yea, it is riding a slippery slope. But I hope, for consumers sake, that someone slips up or defends the little people.
You do not get it.
So, someone (the Government?) is going to step up and force Sony and the BDA to allow a dual player? WTF are you smoking?

Quote:
As for dual format players, they are available for purchase today. They use two drives, but you can play both HD-DVD and Blueray disks with a single device.
Links?
If someone is packaging a Blu-ray and a HD-DVD player together for less than it costs to buy each individually I'd love to see it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-02, 03:39

Instead of all the studios all being on the same page, they're quickly bleeding support away either medium. I really wanted to support Blu-ray on a technological basis, but now I'm just not interested. The format war is just accelerating the adoption of online content delivery, and that's fine with me.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-12-02, 15:05

What Eugene said. Someone in another thread mentioned wanting to get rid of CDs and DVDs and I couldn't agree more.

On the combo player issue, I wasn't aware that Samsung et al. had reneged on their statements about producing combo players. On the "no combo drive" clause in the blu-ray license, I didn't know that, but it's just another one of Sonys innumerable missteps. I used to root for Blu-Ray, partly because it had the highest capacity, but I'm starting to turn...

Converted 07/2005.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 15:20

Quote:
On the combo player issue, I wasn't aware that Samsung et al. had reneged on their statements about producing combo players. On the "no combo drive" clause in the blu-ray license, I didn't know that, but it's just another one of Sonys innumerable missteps. I used to root for Blu-Ray, partly because it had the highest capacity, but I'm starting to turn...
Samsung is not making a universal player:
Samsung Cancels Blu-Ray/HD DVD Hybrid Players.
Samsung Bets Everything on Blu-Ray
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-12-02, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
Which is what I said I didn't know:
Quote:
I wasn't aware that Samsung et al. had reneged on their statements about producing combo players.
Obviously, I do now
I guess the above could be understood as if I was unaware of it, but it is meant as past tense.

Converted 07/2005.