AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple's progress in 2005

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's progress in 2005
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-27, 15:16

Where will Apple go in 2005? After MWSF we know that Apple is serious about this whole low-price scheme, and I think we'll see more of that throughout the rest of the year. How though? Well, I've been thinking...

The iSight video camera will see a massive price drop for the Tiger release which comes with iChat. The 3-way video conferencing feature won't take off if there's nobody using the iSight. Apple's pricing on the iSight is out of reach for people, especially when many people already have a camcorder which can be used for the occassional video conference, or people will just buy a cheaper alternative. I hope to see the iSight come to a more reasonable price point: $79

The Airport Express needs a remote, I think we all hope to see one made by Apple. Price: less than $75

The iPod mini will be updated sometime, new colors plus a few gigs and maybe a price drop? I hope to see the mini sell for $229

The 5G iPod - Thinksecret is reporting a couple details about the next iPod, nothing seems to stick out though. I would hope that Apple is able to just do what ThinkSecret apparently knows will happen; a thinner, larger capacity, and standard color-display line of iPods, all at the same current prices: $299 and $399

The 5G iPod cinema - While Apple denies that a market exists for such a product, I think it's only a matter of time before we see them unveil such a device. Beat writer Rober X. Cringely believes Apple is readying the iTunes Music Store equivalent for movies, and ever since the iPod has been available, people have been rumoring about a movie-capable device. Will it happen? Who knows, but I'll just say that it will. Price? Maybe $499-$699

It also seems reasonable to see more special edition iPods, along with artist catalogue collections from the iTMS. Maybe a Green Day iPod? $349

If the Mac mini is as explosive in sales as I think it might be, why shouldn't Apple expand the capabilities of it? I'd like to see it updated within the next 7 months, but when it's updated they should leave one of the current models on the bottom end, for an ever lower price: $449

PowerBook will go G5, that's a given, but for what price? Hopfully they are no more expensive than the current line. Yeesh!

iBook will get a modest G4 update, maybe to 1.5 GHz on the high end. Price drop to $899

PowerMac finally goes to 3 GHz...and beyond! Yay. Dual processor systems from $1799 and up to $2799 on the high end ($200 off of current prices).

A new product later in the year...other than an iPod movie playing device? Maybe an Apple designed phone, in partnership with Mot, of course. I'd like to see that, because even though iTunes will be able to play on a Mot phone, it just won't have the look and feel of an Apple product, because it won't be, just Apple software inside of a shitty case. Let's see some cool phones...in the U.S. haha

Add anything else you might think could come!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-27, 15:43

I don't really care about the computers...

Maybe iTunes will stop capitalistically pandering to the masses and get more culturally significant music.

Clearly, there is a dearth of atonal, serialist, and minimalist music.

je devenais FOLLLLLLLLLllle !!!!!!!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-27, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohara
As there should be.

That's actually a good post, Chris. I, too, hope the iSight camera comes down in price. You're right: with Tiger on the way, and that whole three-way video chat on the horizon, that's gonna be HUGE for families and friends spread out over the world!

With the Mac mini in place, Apple should make it easier for everyone to get on the iChat/iSight train. How awesome would that be. Hell, I'D finally buy one!

And I'm also hoping that the Mac mini isn't neglected and left to sit for 10-plus months with no update...

Like I said in the days following its introduction, I'd like to see the mini spun off into a couple of more models. OR, better yet, simply offer more robust BTO options (5400rpm hard drives, 64MB graphics, etc. to cater to that $499-$1499 crowd who want to get on the BYODKM thing, but need just a tad more oomph than the barebones $499 offers.

They'd sell like CRAZY, covering a nice $1,000 range.

If the Mac mini ends up eating away at the eMac, then so be it. Or revert the eMac back to education only purchases?

Oh, and offer a cheap-as-possible (leave off the FireWire hub?) 17" widescreen Cinema Display @ 1440x900, to pair with the Mac mini...

Oh yeah, and a redesigned, updated iBook. Something. Anything. Hell, make it round, I don't care. Just change it up a bit. Make it look like a split iPod mini (like I mocked up last year). Do something with it.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-01-27, 16:51

Nice post Chirs.
I agree with most of what you and Scates said.
The mini really needs a BTO 5400 (dream of 7200) HD and an updated video card so that we can start using the mini as a PVR.

The special edition iPod that I would love to see would be a Dave Matthews iPod. It would be a dark green leaf pattern. It would come with a carrying case that had special pockets for your "special" smokes :smokey:
Ah, a jimi thing!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohara
I don't really care about the computers...

Maybe iTunes will stop capitalistically pandering to the masses and get more culturally significant music.

je devenais FOLLLLLLLLLllle !!!!!!!
Oh, didn't you hear? Schoenberg, Webern, and Berg are this year's "Destiny's Child."
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-27, 20:56

Thanks guys.

Anyway, if Apple is going to announce anymore iPod SE's, I think it's possible that we'd see the following...Not saying I'm a fan of all of these people, but their markets and appeal are huge. Some of these peeps are even dead, but fans remain...

•DMB
•Green Day
•Radiohead (won't happen)
•Aerosmith
•The Beastie Boys
•Pearl Jam
•The Red Hot Chili Peppers
•The White Stripes
•Coldplay
•Lenny Kravitz
•Paul McCartney
•Sarah McLachlan
•Moby
•Weezer
•Puff Daddy
•Jay-Z
•2Pac
•Ben Folds
•Bob Marley
•Grateful Dead
•Led Zeppelin
•Nirvana
•50¢

Many more I can't think of. If Apple did just a couple of these, I bet they'd be huge.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-01-27 at 21:02.
rasmits
rams it

2005-01-27, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Maybe a Green Day iPod? $349
Yessss, I'd buy it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-27, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Yessss, I'd buy it.
I definitely would too. A slick green click wheel or they could go with the black and white look that Green Day is going with right now. White wheel, black iPod.

Basically, the formula for a special edition iPod is a band with a large following and a large catalogue of music on the iTMS. Sadly, Radiohead isn't online, I don't think the Chili Peppers are either.

I'd gladly pay $99-150 for Green Day's catalogue.

Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 23:54

Quote:
I'd gladly pay $99-150 for Green Day's catalogue.
You don't already have it??!?
they have only released like 8-10 albums anyway... and of those 5 or 6 are worth the $$ (dookie, nimrod, their last 2, and maybe one or two others that I'm not that thrilled with ) should come out to $50-$80 MAX, and I'm sure you have at least $40 of that already... What is the point?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
ohara
BANNED

2005-01-28, 03:09

$50-$80 MAX

ha.... not at FYE
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-28, 08:59

Not to get off on a tangent too much but Green Day has had a lot more than just their albums as releases. They've done a miriad of covers and they also have put out a number of singles (I fought the law) and EPs.

Gregg
BANNED

2005-01-28, 13:32

The Grateful Dead iPod will sell for $420
rasmits
rams it

2005-01-28, 17:11

Quote:
Not to get off on a tangent too much but Green Day has had a lot more than just their albums as releases. They've done a miriad of covers and they also have put out a number of singles (I fought the law) and EPs.
Yup. Gotta love Green Day...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
The Grateful Dead iPod will sell for $420
you forgot this guy: :smokey:
cloud 9

2005-01-28, 17:38

you're forgetting a wonderful tori amos ipod
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-01-28, 19:58

Here are my predictions for Apple's next year. Feel free to laugh, point, and ridicule.

iPod shuffle: No update until MWSF 2006, when Steve will tell us how many zillions of these sold. It will see a capacity bump (1GB at $99, 2GB at $149) and, if Apple can admit that they misjudged consumers' opinion, it will gain a small screen, similair to how Creative's original MuVo did. (I don't want to scroll through 500 songs blind...)

iPod mini: Generation 2 this spring, although it'll probably be closer to a capacity bump (to 5 GB) then a major overhaul. We may see new colors. A price drop is unlikely, unless Apple decides to split the line-up (4 or 5 GB for $199, 8 GB for $249). That's doubtful.

iPod: Generation 5 this summer. The major improvement will be the addition of color screens standard. We'll still be looking at 20 GB for $299, 40 GB for $399, and 60 GB for $599, but if you think about it, it's like the 40 and 60 GB models dropped a hundred. A mid-generation capacity bump will bring us to a 40/60/80 GB line-up.

iPod photo: Dead, obviously.

iPod video: Not in 2005...but someday. I think we'll see it when we see an Apple Music Store.

iPod Special Edition: Apple will discontinue the U2 one eventually, but many more will follow.

Outside of the iPod realm, however, my clairvoyancy dissipates. (I am clairvoyant, though. I had the feeling we'd see an iPod photo as soon as the first picture of the Generation 4 iPod was leaked. I was a bit off, though - I predicted it would be called the "iPod color" and would feature a colored Click Wheel - but I nailed the price. ) So, as far as Apple's computers go, these are less what I think will happen and more what I hope will happen. Behold, my rampant and stupidly optimistic speculation:

Power Mac G5: It'll hit 3 Ghz...eventually. Single processor model spun off into...

Power Mac G5 Cube: I hope. I think it will be a success, unless Apple overprices it.

iMac G5: Minor (largely cosmetic) redesign so that it will match Apple's "new consumer look": the Mac mini aluminum trim. It will lose the chin and instead gain "ears" which will feature front-facing speakers. This would make room for the...

eMac G5: Shaped more like the current iMac, except only available in 17" and with front-facing speakers and aluminum trim. $999.

aMac G5: Yes, aMac. Spec-wise, very similair to the new eMac, except for $799 with a CRT.

Mac mini: Next January, Apple will tell us how many Mac mini's they sold, and then, they'll unveil the next generation. Yup, G5. Apple will also eventually introduce a less expensive, 17" LCD to match.

Powerbooks: G5 at WWDC. Woo-hoo!

iBooks: This is probably way too optimistic, even for me, but I'm hoping for G5s around August, in time for the back-to-school crowd and all.

Xserve: Does anybody really care about the Xserve?

iSight: Price drop, maybe a cosmetic redesign. Who knows.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2005-01-28, 20:53

Quote:
Xserve: Does anybody really care about the Xserve?
You're GD right we care about the Xserve. Tiger Server will make running an Mac network feasible in new ways. It's time for the Xserve to gain a 2U brother and PCI-X or PCI-E slots.

omgwtfbbq
MacDude15

2005-01-29, 00:24

I understand the reason for a price drop on the airport express or the isight. But, why would they lower the price on the ipod mini that is selling out of stores?
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2005-01-29, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
The special edition iPod that I would love to see would be a Dave Matthews iPod. It would be a dark green leaf pattern. It would come with a carrying case that had special pockets for your "special" smokes :smokey:
Ah, a jimi thing!
Apparently there's more Green Day fans than Dave fans here. They don't even sell DMB music on the iTMS, though, so I don't think it's likely to happen anyway.

I think Apple has always lead the industry in new and exciting technology and I think will continue to this year. What I'm thinking is that will be the year of more competitive prices and hopefully price drops.

If they sell massive amounts of Mac Minis and iPods then they should be able to start cutting prices, right? Anyway, whatever they come out with, whether its a PVR or a cell phone, I'm hoping and expecting it to be something people can actually afford. The iSight and Airport express definitely need a price drop.

Apple has priced the new Mac Mini well and I think the iMac is in a good spot for what you get. I'm looking for price drops everywhere this year. Oh, and 512 RAM standard in everything. That's way overdue.
Programmer

2005-01-30, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
iPod shuffle: No update until MWSF 2006, when Steve will tell us how many zillions of these sold. It will see a capacity bump (1GB at $99, 2GB at $149) and, if Apple can admit that they misjudged consumers' opinion, it will gain a small screen, similair to how Creative's original MuVo did. (I don't want to scroll through 500 songs blind...)
They won't bump the Shuffle's capacity, they will drop its price as the price of flash memory drops. At the current capacities there is no need for a display. If you want to have your whole library or navigate through it, don't buy a Shuffle.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-30, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer
They won't bump the Shuffle's capacity, they will drop its price as the price of flash memory drops. At the current capacities there is no need for a display. If you want to have your whole library or navigate through it, don't buy a Shuffle.
This is probably correct. Once you have 2 GB of music on there, that's the point where you can fit an entire music library. Adding a screen for navigation simply would not work well on something that small. If anything, the mini will drop in price to $199, right above the high-end shuffle.
gar

2005-01-30, 11:06

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Anyway, if Apple is going to announce anymore iPod SE's, I think it's possible that we'd see the following...Not saying I'm a fan of all of these people, but their markets and appeal are huge. Some of these peeps are even dead, but fans remain...

•DMB
•Green Day
•Radiohead (won't happen)
•Aerosmith
•The Beastie Boys
•Pearl Jam
•The Red Hot Chili Peppers
•The White Stripes
•Coldplay
•Lenny Kravitz
•Paul McCartney
•Sarah McLachlan
•Moby
•Weezer
•Puff Daddy
•Jay-Z
•2Pac
•Ben Folds
•Bob Marley
•Grateful Dead
•Led Zeppelin
•Nirvana
•50¢

Many more I can't think of. If Apple did just a couple of these, I bet they'd be huge.
Why?
I don't think any of your special edition iPod options would be huge.
Because there isn't any band as big or as world-act as U2 in your list.
Most of the bands are HipHop-acts or not of this age / very, very, very dead / "marginally" popular guitar bands.
Why didn't you mention Usher, Destiny Child or other RnB acts?
Outkast or Prince anyone?
you also could have ad:
Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Rammstein, David Bowie, DJ Tiesto or Justin Timberlake to your list.

Apple needs pop to sell, not a MTV-US hyped WAP-teenage boys only GreenDay act.

The BLING-Pod for those HipHop and RnB-lovers, i don't know.

Who are DMB, Sarah McLachlan or Ben Folds actually?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-30, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar
Who are DMB, Sarah McLachlan or Ben Folds actually?
DMB = DMBand0026

hehe. . .

(Dave Matthew's Band)
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-30, 13:47

Prince wouldn't be a bad idea either...
Of course The Beatles would be a no-brainer, but the lack of their catalogue on the Music Store would be a problem... Maybe a deal with Apple to sell their entire catalogue with the pod itself instead of digitally? That would totally violate the existing agreement tho...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
del-uks

2005-01-31, 10:53

On monday jan 31 2005, Apple finally gave us the long awaited revision of their PowerBook line, after 287 days since last update.
Despite some speculations (and expectations) the revision was only marginally faster processors, no Dual Core and no G5 either... but with a slight price cut and new options...

Now, since big things happen at big events...

Here is how I see the agenda:

-June 2005 WWDC: Tiger will be released. A new revision on the iMac line could be annouced. Maybe Steve Jobs will give us some comments on the future of the PowerBook line...

-August 2005 Apple Expo in Paris: The new PowerBook generation will be announced. Probably G5 instead of Dual G4.

P.S. By April 2005, we'll see a speed bump in the PowerMac line... 3GHz, hopefully 970 MP.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-01-31, 12:53

2gig flash ipod would be perfect .... that's the point where you can load up a decent amount of lossless or 320kbps AAC.

anything less than 224kbps loses too much SQ for my taste
del-uks

2005-01-31, 16:08

Quote:
intlplby wrote:
2gig flash ipod would be perfect .... that's the point where you can load up a decent amount of lossless or 320kbps AAC.

anything less than 224kbps loses too much SQ for my taste
That's the reason I've been resisting using my girlfriend's 40 Go iPod... I can't stand any MP3/AAC compressions, so I would just put AIFF songs in it... I've even been considering the iPod photo, just for the 20 Go extras of it, but...
I guess there won't be any ideal product for me before 2010... by this time the capacity of the iPod will be so huge I'll be able to put a good part of my collection in SACD quality music in it!...

P.S. I'm one of this guys who still listen to vinyls, because it sounds way much better than any other consumer format.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-31, 16:24

Have you tried apple's lossless audio format? No quality loss in 1/4th of the file size.
del-uks

2005-01-31, 17:37

Quote:
Paul wrote:
Have you tried apple's lossless audio format? No quality loss in 1/4th of the file size.
I guess you meant to say "lossy" rather than "lossless".
Lossy compression techniques use tricky coding algorithms to hide the perceived effects of data loss.
These process destroy information irrevocably. That imply the original audio source can never be recreated.
MP3, AAC, etc. are examples of lossy audio compression like MPEG-4 is an example of lossy video compression.

Lossless technique imply that it retains the ability to restore the integrity of the original source with no data loss. That's the case with data compression such as .zip and .tar for exemple.

To my knowledge, there are only two Lossless compression techniques dedicated to audio: FLAC (supported on most operating systems, including OS X) and WavPack (Windows only).
FLAC supports linear PCM samples with a resolution between 4 and 32 bits per sample, and linear sample rates from 1Hz - 655350Hz in 1Hz increments. Plus, it's a free open format, and there is no generation loss if you need to convert your data to another format in the future.

For more info: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

P.S. Sorry, this has not much to do with the original thread, but I just wanted to make it clear.
del-uks

2005-01-31, 17:51

Paul,

May I apologize... I just realize that, I read AAC insted of ALAC...

Yes, although I've never tried to compare ALAC to FLAC... I guess it's the way to go!

Would you please forgive my haste?