Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple Fire Sale

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Fire Sale
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-09-26, 22:46

Has anyone here heard of something called Apple's Fire Sale?

Ok, let me preface that with were I got that information.
I met a guy who works at a newly opened Apple Store (Pentagon City in Northern VA). So I tell him I really want a new mac mini. He says his store just had a Fire Sale where they sell display and closeout hardware for low low prices just to get it out the door. So, thinking I missed a great opportunity, I get kinda upset and ask when the next one could be. He says they have one every month. Now I'm thinking, "hmm, that doesnt make good business sense. Wouldnt everyone wait till the Fire Sale to buy any hardware they want?" But I dont ask him this.

So, my question is, does anyone here know of Apple's Fire Sale, or can you prove/disprove the validity of what this guy told me? He seemed like a nice guy without any motive to lie about it, it just sounds kinda fishy to me.
digitaldave

2005-09-27, 02:12

I came across this when I was on holiday and visted the San Fransico store - they had a table filled with stuff that was at reduced prices - I assumed it was ex-display or customer returns. I managed to get a cheap pair of Shure E3C earphone for $99 vs the regular price of $179 .
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-09-27, 03:30

A while back, I came across the same—a table of assorted discounted hardware and software—at the Regent Street, London. I thought it was a bit tacky for a flagship store. Plus, an edu discount could beat or equal some of the prices on offer. But whatever.

bouncy bouncy
mattf

2005-09-27, 04:43

I saw the same thing at the Regent St. store, just last week.

I agree, it does look really tacky. Most of what was on offer looked like it had either been returned by a customer or had been lying in the back of the store cupboard propping up the storeman's coffee cups for the last year.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, there were definitely NO computers included in the pile of refuse. The most expensive thing was a large (musical) keyboard (no idea what model, I'm not in to that sort of thing!)

Last edited by mattf : 2005-09-27 at 04:45. Reason: More information
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-27, 06:28

They do the same thing after Christmas. At the local Apple store, they had a table with bins on top and beneath it filled with all kinds of returned, reduced-price items with everything from iPod accessories to PowerBook batteries.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-09-27, 09:40

Happens at every Apple Store, every month, last week of the month.

If you ask, however, they may have a customer return (aka "refresh") of the hardware you are looking for.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-09-27, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf
I agree, it does look really tacky. Most of what was on offer looked like it had either been returned by a customer or had been lying in the back of the store cupboard propping up the storeman's coffee cups for the last year.
So you're too good to even look at used merchendise let alone buy it?
mattf

2005-09-27, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
So you're too good to even look at used merchendise let alone buy it?
Of course. I'm a snobbish Mac user, what do you expect?

Perhaps I didn't explain myself. The Regent St flagship store looks fantastic. Like no computer shop ever seen in the UK before. No piles of mixed up, dusty boxes with different computer parts. No crappy looking beige boxes with hundreds of wires coming out of them all over the place. The ability to actually USE the machines. Staff that are friendly, helpful and not likely to scoff at you because you don't know what the difference between PATA and SATA is. This is a COMPLETELY different experience for somebody looking to buy a computer in the UK. I'm sure it's the same in many other places.

And then they set up two temporary tables, one either side of the gorgeous glass stairway and throw a pile of shitty stock on it or underneath it in plastic crates, with people rifling through wondering what the hell is in each of the almost identical boxes. It looks tacky. I'm all for buying (and therefore looking through) used merchandise (my iBook was from the refurb store), but the way it was done was completely out of character with the rest of the store.