Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

VW Space Up! = iCar?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
VW Space Up! = iCar?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-16, 10:00

Engadget has a post up about the new center console hardware by VW.

Engadget Post

Could the following pictures be the result of the recent rumors of collaboration between Apple and VW?

It does look like something that Apple would put together. It's also something that I would love to have in my car.

What do you thinK?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
rasmits
rams it

2007-11-16, 10:10

Well, if Apple didn't design it I'd say it was definitely inspired by Apple.
Fullthrottledesigns

2007-11-16, 12:23

Yea it looks the same, I don't need that much stuff to distract me. Just what all the teenage girls with VW's that can't drive already need.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-11-16, 12:49

That looks and acts a lot
a lot
a lot
A LOT
like an Apple design. If it's a rip-off, it's uncanny. I do suspect it isn't though. It's just too good a rip-off.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-11-16, 13:26

I like that it's showing the supply of H2 and battery power.

Whatever it is, it's not coming out any time soon in that format.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-11-16, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
That looks and acts a lot
a lot
a lot
A LOT
like an Apple design. If it's a rip-off, it's uncanny. I do suspect it isn't though. It's just too good a rip-off.
You've seen it in action?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-16, 15:54

Cover Flow? Check. Reflections? Check. Myriad? Check. Hell, Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams? Check.

If that's not an Apple design, it's very Apple-inspired.

Apparently, all new VWs from 2009 onward will feature touchscreens, which seems to coincide nicely with the release of the oft-rumored Apple interface.

I just hope VW shares the love with Audi, too. In fact, if the metroproject (A1) concept keeps the hybrid-ness from the concept, and gets an Apple-designed interface, and starts at under 25k, then I think I'd have a new favorite minicar (sorry, Mini).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-16, 16:06

The Jack Johnson cover is one of the first things I noticed.

That's always in Apple presentations. I always seem to see it when they demonstrate iTunes or Cover Flow.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-16, 16:22

Just to be pedantic... it may not be Cover Flow. Watch the video on the engadget site, and it's a carousel, like Front Row used to be.

Of course, the video also has distinctly different folder icons from the ones in the stills, which look an *awful* lot like Leopard's default icons, so who knows? Perhaps the video is from an earlier version, and they replaced both the icons and the carousel.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-16, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Just to be pedantic... it may not be Cover Flow. Watch the video on the engadget site, and it's a carousel, like Front Row used to be.

Of course, the video also has distinctly different folder icons from the ones in the stills, which look an *awful* lot like Leopard's default icons, so who knows? Perhaps the video is from an earlier version, and they replaced both the icons and the carousel.
Even if it is a carousel - which might make more sense, if there's "only" four or five options for the display - that doesn't mean it isn't Apple-riffic. It still looks very Apple, and as you've noted, Apple has used carousels before.

I think it's just too Apple not to be Apple. I mean, yeah, I know everyone's ripping off the "glossy table" reflections these days, but the odds of someone nailing the look so well - even if they were trying to rip Apple off - aren't very good, IMO.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Reid

2007-11-16, 17:15

This looks super cool, but also super dangerous. With a touch-screen, people are going to be driving along looking at the screen to figure out which buttons to push. If you're constantly having to look at a screen to skip tracks, adjust volume, etc., you're going to spend a lot less time looking at the road like you should.

That's one thing I've noticed about having an iPhone: it's much harder to use while driving (which, admittedly, no one should do anyway, but sometimes it's just going to happen). Even answering a call requires a glance at the screen in order to "slide to answer," as opposed to a flip phone which you just flip open, or a candybar phone where you can hit the answer button without so much as a glance. I think a car stereo/head unit really needs to have physical, mechanical controls that can be operated blindly.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-16, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
This looks super cool, but also super dangerous. With a touch-screen, people are going to be driving along looking at the screen to figure out which buttons to push. If you're constantly having to look at a screen to skip tracks, adjust volume, etc., you're going to spend a lot less time looking at the road like you should.

That's one thing I've noticed about having an iPhone: it's much harder to use while driving (which, admittedly, no one should do anyway, but sometimes it's just going to happen). Even answering a call requires a glance at the screen in order to "slide to answer," as opposed to a flip phone which you just flip open, or a candybar phone where you can hit the answer button without so much as a glance. I think a car stereo/head unit really needs to have physical, mechanical controls that can be operated blindly.
That's why every existing in-car touchscreen (and presumably this one) work only when the car is in park.

In-car touchscreens aren't exactly new.

You'd use the steering-wheel mounted controls to adjust volume and change tracks while driving.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-11-17, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
That's why every existing in-car touchscreen (and presumably this one) work only when the car is in park.
I'm pretty sure the touchscreen in our Honda Pilot works while the car is in gear. GPS and audio.

Or am I missing something?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-17, 04:33

Ok, I shouldn't have said every. All the ones that I have seen switch to voice navigation, though.
digitalprimate

2007-11-17, 05:13

It's too late now... expect disdain and snubbery.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-17, 11:06

Quote:
Ok, I shouldn't have said every. All the ones that I have seen switch to voice navigation, though.
The navigation screen in my Acura TSX works all the time, no matter what. It is a touch screen and I have the ability to use voice commands to make it do my bidding, but the touch screen is always operational.

Come waste your time with me
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-11-17, 14:55

If I can use this to bluetooth voice and music (A2DP) from my iPhone, this is my next car.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-11-18, 22:55

The whole car looks Apple made:

The makings of Apple's minimums style all over the inside and outside of ther car..

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2007-11-19 at 03:28.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-11-18, 23:28

Only the car is but ugly compared to the iMac.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-19, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I think it's cute. I hope VW makes it - it'd make a great MINI-fighter.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 07:53

Wow, I like the outside. It's like a more futuristic version of the car I just bought.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-12-14, 12:12

Speaking of iCar... http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/14/i...r-lrx-concept/

The LRX concept has an iPhone dock in the center console, and it looks like a starter/ignition button on the touchscreen.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-12-14, 12:35

I like the idea of only being able to start the car with your iPhone. My inner geek is totally nerding out at the thought of it.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-12-14, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullthrottledesigns View Post
Yea it looks the same, I don't need that much stuff to distract me. Just what all the teenage girls with VW's that can't drive already need.
That is why insurance rates are higher, it is also sexist and ageist to say that young females cant drive to start with... food for thought, rates for male drivers under 25 are significantly higher, why? Young males cant drive as much as females, but are also prone to do stupid shit more...

Quote:

I just hope VW shares the love with Audi, too. In fact, if the metroproject (A1) concept keeps the hybrid-ness from the concept, and gets an Apple-designed interface, and starts at under 25k, then I think I'd have a new favorite minicar (sorry, Mini).
damn right that would make the really nice, both vw and audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post

they will most likely, if it is all touch, will have buttons on the wheel, that is what my RX has, it is really nice. but also in the ES that has GPS and is mostly touch screen, it goes in to full lock down mode when you dont have it in park. you cant do anything that uses the touch screen if you are even rolling (one of the most annoying things ever) I am trying to see if someone can hack it or cut the wire that tells the gps that you are moving. But also once you learn the system, it is much easier. I keep my phone on in the car, playing music, and i have learned where the slide thing is along with answer and i rarely have to look down when talking on the phone, texting is a whole different thing. But it has learned what I say, so I only have to type in 2 or so letters at most.

Quote:
that cant be the icar, it is a van for one, so not a car along with that it is uber fugly and no one, sober and clean, would buy that ugly hunk of crap, okay maybe the same people who bought the scion box thing (the fall in to the same category ) jk
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-12-14, 13:10

Quote:
Agreed, I would rather buy a ten year old car than that.