User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Doing a little shooting this weekend

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Doing a little shooting this weekend
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 09:40

I'm borrowing my brother in law's Beretta Cx4 Storm this weekend while we go down to South Carolina to do some shooting this monday. Right now I have a Beretta 9mm pistol (92fs) that I got for $600 out the door. But he got this thing for not much more fully dressed (through a friend). I can't wait to try it out.

Any other shooters @ AN?

http://will.dealdonkey.com/userfiles/Will/Storm%201.jpg

Note: I really enjoy shooting, but I'm not self-defense nut. I never ever want to shoot anybody. I'd do anything possible to avoid using Deadly force, but that being said if its him or me, or worse - him or my family ... i'd be him. So I enjoy guns but I'm not a "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands" guy with a basement full of Grenade launchers.

Note#2: yes I know the safety is off, it was totally empty and I was dry firing it a few times. Can't dry fire w/ safety on.

Last edited by Brad : 2005-07-02 at 11:27. Reason: image too big. thumbnail it, please.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-07-02, 09:46

In my country we shoot with cameras.
Squonk

2005-07-02, 10:00

Oh dear! Why on earth does anyone have access to this type of weapon outside of military/law enforcement use? The UK has its problems but I am pleased that weapons of this type are not readily available to the masses over here. No offence intended but the very fact you are standing in front of a mirror photographing yourself with it is a bit strange.
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk
No offence intended but the very fact you are standing in front of a mirror photographing yourself with it is a bit strange.
Haha, none taken. I wanted to send a pic of it to a friend in Texas. Plus, I am strange.
Squonk

2005-07-02, 11:01

Would have been easier to have asked the person who's legs appear from under the gun to take it for you
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-07-02, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy
Note#2: yes I know the safety is off, it was totally empty and I was dry firing it a few times. Can't dry fire w/ safety on.
Need to get some lessons my gun lovin' fiend. Dry firing is probably the worst thing you can do to a gun... Not to mention bad practice.

And as for saying it's fine to have the safety off "because it's not loaded".
Sheesh.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 12:11

Dry Firing approx 5 times will not harm your gun, and i've talked to 2 gun smiths who said that dry firing helps polish and smooth the trigger action.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-07-02, 13:11

Quote:
Dry Firing approx 5 times will not harm your gun, and i've talked to 2 gun smiths who said that dry firing helps polish and smooth the trigger action.
Right.

They sell guns by any chance?
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 13:14

Acatually he was a medal winning competitve shooter / personal friend / gun smith.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-07-02, 13:15

Quote:
Acatually he was a medal winning competitve shooter / personal friend / gun smith.
Doesn't know diddley squat about gun maintenance though.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-07-02, 13:21

Quote:
...dry firing your Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine may result in damage to the
action.
Check Google... or go read the manual and stop prancing around in front of mirrors with it..
mama's left eye

2005-07-02, 13:23

I enjoy shooting, but I try not to do too much of it lately :P

I dry fire my M-16 a few hundred times a year. It doesn't harm it and it is a great way to improve your marksmanship. Different weapon systems are more prone to damage than others, though. You really have to go with what the manufacturer suggests.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 13:29

Ok Scratt - you win THIS time.

He told me that about my Beretta 92fs ... but I made an assumption about the Cx4.

Anyways ... I only dry fired like 5 times so it's ok. But thanks for the correction.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-02, 17:06

The only time you should dry fire a weapon is if you're dropping the gun when you fire and you need help catching yourself doing it. Best way to manage that though is to put a round without the primer in somewhere in your clip. It's funny to watch people jerk.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-02, 17:11

Never done any shooting but it sounds good - it would beat the hell out of reading a book to wind down.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-02, 17:20

Why does everyone have to go to South Carolina to shoot... We don't want your projectiles.
Fooboy

2005-07-02, 18:02

Alc,

that sounds like a pretty good idea.
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-07-02, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
The only time you should dry fire a weapon is if you're dropping the gun when you fire and you need help catching yourself doing it. Best way to manage that though is to put a round without the primer in somewhere in your clip. It's funny to watch people jerk.
That's like when people "think" their train or car is starting to move and they tense up and press back in their seats even though it's all in their head.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-07-02, 20:19

Why would dry firing be bad? Didn't mess up my M-16 either...

It's still a good way to work on that slow, steady squeeze.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-07-02, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
And as for saying it's fine to have the safety off "because it's not loaded".
Sheesh.
Rule #1: Treat every weapon as if it were loaded!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-05, 14:48

If it's bad for paintball guns, it's bad for real guns, haha. That said, I don't know anything about guns, only paintball markers. Those are slightly less dangerous, and that's why I fire those, not real guns. I wan to give someone a welt, not a hole in the head.

Come waste your time with me
Amadeus

2005-07-05, 19:14

The link isn't working, a 404 error.

I admire that you have a gun and are actively using your 2nd Amendment rights.
Res

2005-07-05, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk
Oh dear! Why on earth does anyone have access to this type of weapon outside of military/law enforcement use? The UK has its problems but I am pleased that weapons of this type are not readily available to the masses over here. No offence intended but the very fact you are standing in front of a mirror photographing yourself with it is a bit strange.
This type of weapon is not as dangerous as a shotgun or deer rifle (I think it is the high-tech look that makes you think that it is anything special).

Not like this. Not like this...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-05, 22:13

Yeah, add a few ribs and an extra handle to a .22 and suddenly people think it's some high-powered fully-automatic Rambo machine. It's like slapping a spoiler on a Yugo.
Squonk

2005-07-06, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res
This type of weapon is not as dangerous as a shotgun or deer rifle (I think it is the high-tech look that makes you think that it is anything special).
Not sure what kind of weapon it is and don't really care. Any firearm in the hands of someone who goes to the trouble of photographing himself with it and putting it on the net for all to be impressed is a dangerous weapon!

No firearm is dangerous per se. Just depends on the mentality of the operator

Last edited by Squonk : 2005-07-06 at 08:44.