User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

LaCie Triple Interface - What's the difference?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LaCie Triple Interface - What's the difference?
bobmoore

2006-12-31, 18:39

LaCie makes two 500 gb triple interface hard drives. I want a FW800 drive to back up my iMac and Macbook. The price difference is $20, but I cannot tell any difference between the two -- except the less expensive one is a bit bigger/heavier.

Can someone give me purchasing advice please?

Last edited by bobmoore : 2006-12-31 at 19:30.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-01, 19:34

Do you have links to the items in question?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-01, 20:44

We have some LaCie's where I work and they are OK though we have issues with mounting and dismounting them from the Desktop sometimes when they are plugged in to 3rd part FW ports (ports that seem to work fine with everything else). Also the cases are not that sturdily built, even though they "look tough". After a few months of use sometimes it seems like the screws inside might be loose / make an annoying vibration noise.

Personally I have a G-Tech G-Drive Q which has FW400/800, USB2 and SATA on the back, and it has been a very good performer so far. Also it is more compact and more sturdily built than the LaCie drives, plus it has the nice "Cheese Grater Companion" look going on. Also quieter than the LaCie drives, which make a lot of noise when they spin up. The Q drives come in 160, 250 and 500GB models AFAIK. I would check it out before buying any of the large LaCie external drives. My next purchase for FCS scratch disks will definitely be Q drives. Plan to have a stack of 'em before the year's out.

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm

...into the light of a dark black night.
bobmoore

2007-01-02, 15:48

Now I understand the difference. The more expensive unit has one 500 gb drive installed...and the package is a bit smaller. The other one has two 250 gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Because it has two drives, it's a bit larger package....and it is cheaper because (2) 250's are cheaper than a single 500 gb drive.

So I guess I have a new question. Given this will be for nightly backup only, would I be better with a RAID 0 drive pair, or a single drive?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-02, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
Now I understand the difference. The more expensive unit has one 500 gb drive installed...and the package is a bit smaller. The other one has two 250 gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Because it has two drives, it's a bit larger package....and it is cheaper because (2) 250's are cheaper than a single 500 gb drive.

So I guess I have a new question. Given this will be for nightly backup only, would I be better with a RAID 0 drive pair, or a single drive?
RAID 0 doubles (or triples or quadruples, depending on how many drives are involved) your chances of hardware failure. Seeing as this is for backups, it's not a good idea. Personally, I want the most reliable drive for backing stuff up. Otherwise, what's the point?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
We have some LaCie's where I work and they are OK though we have issues with mounting and dismounting them from the Desktop sometimes when they are plugged in to 3rd part FW ports (ports that seem to work fine with everything else). Also the cases are not that sturdily built, even though they "look tough". After a few months of use sometimes it seems like the screws inside might be loose / make an annoying vibration noise.

Personally I have a G-Tech G-Drive Q which has FW400/800, USB2 and SATA on the back, and it has been a very good performer so far. Also it is more compact and more sturdily built than the LaCie drives, plus it has the nice "Cheese Grater Companion" look going on. Also quieter than the LaCie drives, which make a lot of noise when they spin up. The Q drives come in 160, 250 and 500GB models AFAIK. I would check it out before buying any of the large LaCie external drives. My next purchase for FCS scratch disks will definitely be Q drives. Plan to have a stack of 'em before the year's out.

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm
Those do look nice, but at $237.99 for 250 Gig and 436.99 for 500 Gig, those are pretty expensive. Compare that to the Lacie D2 at $139.99 for 320 Gig and $255.99 for 500 Gig. (all prices from newegg.com)

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!