Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iDesign - Graphic Design For the Rest of Us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iDesign - Graphic Design For the Rest of Us
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 03:13

this is just a product idea that came to me... i don't know of anything out there..... i'm not a programmer, so i am not going to persue making it, so I'm gonna put it out there...

Basically is would be a graphic design program with an design guideline oriented artificial intelligence.... it automatically builds graphic design layouts that are tasteful based on user input and questions

it would be built loosely on the C.R.A.P. principle

Contrast
Repitition
Alignment
Proximity

It would work almost in the way setup wizards work and take the following input.

What are you making:
-Poster
-Letter
-Flyer
-etc

an outline input similar to omni outliner where you put in information in categories and it would also have a field called 'importance' which is basically a rank of the importance of the information in the document.
-i.e. the title would have a higher rank than description.
-i.e. an event name would have more importance than the location or time.
-i.e. location and time could be weighted with equal importance
you would also link relevant information together.... i.e. time and place would be linked to one another... this would be used by the AI engine to keep related information in relative proximity to one another.

Mood and intent-
choose for a selection of mood or intent from a list of descriptor words.
each mood would be linked to dozens of color schemes that can represent that mood.
different moods would take into account different color rules, such as warm vs cool colors, tone on tone, complementary colors etc.
you can manually choose a style here.
the choice of preset words can be matched to preset moods and color schemes with psychological testing of subjects.

Taking all that information into account, the program would generate many different iterations of possible designs based on design rules....

The first version of the artificial intelligence can be based on the rules outlined in Jan Tschichold's Die Neue Typographie (grid systems)

The AI engine would use importance ranking to vary type attributes like type size, stroke weight and opacity...
i.e. a primary importance part would be large, bold and or have a high opacity, it can also choose a stronger color within the appropriate mood schemes.
i.e. a secondary importance part could for example keep a large type size or weight and have it's opacity greatly reduced or any other combination.

as the program grew the AI engine could grow to include more complicated design concepts going all the way to deconstructionist type designs.

Advanced options could include choosing approximately how much white space you want by percentage of the document. choosing diagonal orientations where you set the angle.

finally the program would allow exporting to Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Apple Pages, Quark XPress and other programs (MS Publisher and MS Word would be excluded because they are garbage)

----

if you have any more ideas, please add them.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-10-26, 08:27

Interesting, but perhaps a bit too much like Clippy. "Hey, it looks like you're designing a flyer!"
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-26, 09:57

Seems a bit pointless to me. There is already enough of a, look I have a computer and lots of typefaces, type "design" going on. Plus if you have export to various Adobe apps etc it seems a bit pointless as you can simply do it in those.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-10-27, 09:14

i don't think you guys are understanding exactly what i am getting at....

it would be an AI engine, that maps out dozens and dozens of iterations of a design idea and then you would pick the ones you like...... i'll explain more of what i mean later when i am sober
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-10-27, 09:41

I like the part about taking an outline and then having the program converting it into a document with layout. But in my mind that should be done via user created templates, and not an AI.

But hey, tell me more, maybe you do have a point
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-27, 10:21

I think it would be ridiculously complex to create and you'd end up with mediocre designs with an occasional good design.

Sometimes not following a rule makes something look good because it's different. There is a reason graphic designers make multiple layouts, or change things several times to get it looking just right before they are done. Design isn't about following rules, I mean it kinda is or else you'll have ugly unattractive designs, but it's about creativity.

It's just not something I think you can program in. In the end it would be more like a bunch of templates with different spin offs of each one. It wouldn't be an AI, but a setup wizard to mediocrity

Or that is my take on it anyways, but I'm not a 1337 programmer.